Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Inject this in my veins

I realise this isn't exactly a revelation, but that clip is a terrific reminder of the speed in the team, particularly when you factor in those players that didn't feature in the vid.

But the clip also highlights the effort, the teamwork and just the vibe of everyone embracing the journey.

Jeez we are in a good place at present, everything just feels right. :)

Like have Sydney number 2 if you want , but cmon surely you need reasons.

Also how did we go from beyond being seeded, won twice , beat the team Carlton beat this week that then got them number 1.

Carlton got Geelong off a rest with players going off hurt.
They'll still be ranking us at no 2 after we've exited the 'G with the Cup on Grand Final day.

Look, I sort of get the reluctance given our Grand Final record. But how on earth, in any sensible conversation, can you not have us, at this point in the season, an utter mile in front as No 1 seed on whatever rankings system you want to use is beyond me.

Carlton are playing well, Collingwood are building steam, and there are some sleepers around the place potentially building momentum like the Lions. But no team is ever not susceptible to others, in any season. Equally though, those teams also have arguably bigger potential issues as well, that have to be taken into account.

If you played the grand final tomorrow and repeated the experiment 100 times, on exposed form in season 2024, you would expect we should win probably 75+ of those matches, no matter who the opponent is. For this time in the season, at least in the AFL era, we are up with the very, very best sides ever seen. But that is only until now.

As others have said, its all about the clickbait these days. And it is up to our boys, when it matters, to truly stamp their authority, and mark themselves as possibly the greatest Swans side in history.

I have no doubt they have the ability to do it - no doubt at all (assuming of course a reasonable run with injuries - and we don't get wiped out in coming weeks in that regard). It will be all between the ears if we don't take where we are at now, and turn it into what it should be come the end of September. A lot of footy to be played - but it is laughable to think somehow, one of the other teams, that are all 3+ games behind us (thus meaning they have at least 3 more weeks of having to go full pelt before finals) are better placed to win the flag.

I feel like the disaster of 2022 hasn't just lit a fuse in our Cygnets, but has started an inferno - lets see who we can burn in the process, but I do think this team is different. We have to get a lot right, and have luck fall our way when it needs to, but we couldn't be better placed to make as much of our own luck either.

Last edited:
are you talking about Buckley not being cited? Do you think he should be cited for the Swans v Pies preview he gave where at the end of the 10min preview, the viewers had to look up who the pies were playing? Or, are you talking about the fact that in his show 'The Buck Stops Here', it took him until this week before he mentioned the Swans despite being the clear best team, playing very entertaining footy - leading the scoring and the scoring against (thats 4 months of footy! and 13 wins)

If so, I agree.. and cite Whately too for having the Blues as his top seed because "It feels more natural to him"
hahaha - I could go on and on and on and ................

Having finally listened to Whately's segment, the amount of people he's sucked in with his trolling is tremendous. It takes a lot of ability to admit to being tongue in cheek while doing it and STILL getting the bites. My god some of you are sensitive nuffies on here.

I also have no idea what you're on about with Buckley who has praised us throughout the year.

They'll still be ranking us at no 2 after we've exited the 'G with the Cup on Grand Final day.
"Here's the thing, Gerald. Sydney were the best team all year. Top of the ladder since round 9, 4 All-Australians, 3 of the top 6 in the Brownlow. We knew that going into the Grand Final. It was their game to lose. Has been all year. But what a coming of age story for Carlton, Gerald. They took it up a team some would compare to 2000 Essendon- I wouldn't but some would. They took it up to them, and the margin of 30 points doesn't tell the full story. They were brave, they were in the contest and put together a year that, in many previous years would have seen them go all the way. This Carlton side are better than the past 4 premiers. At least. They may have even pushed 2020 Richmond if Martin doesn't have a Norm Smith game. That's how good they are. They scream to me, 2012-2015 Hawthorn. Lose a flag then go into a dynasty. Curnow and McKay up forward are comparable to Franklin and Roughhead. Walsh and Cripps perform better on the big stage than Hodge and Mitchell. Weitering will easily be Brian Lake like. Did they get the job done today? No but that's just going to make them hungrier. And watch out for a hungry Carlton in 2025. I can't see anyone stopping them, Gerald."
- David King, Monday after the 2024 GF

"Here's the thing, Gerald. Sydney were the best team all year. Top of the ladder since round 9, 4 All-Australians, 3 of the top 6 in the Brownlow. We knew that going into the Grand Final. It was their game to lose. Has been all year. But what a coming of age story for Carlton, Gerald. They took it up a team some would compare to 2000 Essendon- I wouldn't but some would. They took it up to them, and the margin of 30 points doesn't tell the full story. They were brave, they were in the contest and put together a year that, in many previous years would have seen them go all the way. This Carlton side are better than the past 4 premiers. At least. They may have even pushed 2020 Richmond if Martin doesn't have a Norm Smith game. That's how good they are. They scream to me, 2012-2015 Hawthorn. Lose a flag then go into a dynasty. Curnow and McKay up forward are comparable to Franklin and Roughhead. Walsh and Cripps perform better on the big stage than Hodge and Mitchell. Weitering will easily be Brian Lake like. Did they get the job done today? No but that's just going to make them hungrier. And watch out for a hungry Carlton in 2025. I can't see anyone stopping them, Gerald."
- David King, Monday after the 2024 GF

Who's Gerald?

Look, I sort of get the reluctance given our Grand Final record. But how on earth, in any sensible conversation, can you not have us, at this point in the season, an utter mile in front as No 1 seed on whatever rankings system you want to use is beyond me.

Carlton are playing well, Collingwood are building steam, and there are some sleepers around the place potentially building momentum like the Lions. But no team is ever not susceptible to others, in any season. Equally though, those teams also have arguably bigger potential issues as well, that have to be taken into account.

If you played the grand final tomorrow and repeated the experiment 100 times, on exposed form in season 2024, you would expect we should win probably 75+ of those matches, no matter who the opponent is. For this time in the season, at least in the AFL era, we are up with the very, very best sides ever seen. But that is only until now.

As others have said, its all about the clickbait these days. And it is up to our boys, when it matters, to truly stamp their authority, and mark themselves as possibly the greatest Swans side in history.

I have no doubt they have the ability to do it - no doubt at all (assuming of course a reasonable run with injuries - and we don't get wiped out in coming weeks in that regard). It will be all between the ears if we don't take where we are at now, and turn it into what it should be come the end of September. A lot of footy to be played - but it is laughable to think somehow, one of the other teams, that are all 3+ games behind us (thus meaning they have at least 3 more weeks of having to go full pelt before finals) are better placed to win the flag.

I feel like the disaster of 2022 hasn't just lit a fuse in our Cygnets, but has started an inferno - lets see who we can burn in the process, but I do think this team is different. We have to get a lot right, and have luck fall our way when it needs to, but we couldn't be better placed to make as much of our own luck either.
It would have been better if the Pies had pipped us in the 2022 PF. We got to the GF at least two years ahead of schedule and got monstered. If we can hang on to our midfield as is, we can challenge for the next 5 years. Even this year seems a bit premature given our youth. Not saying we can't win it this year, but we are still developing physically.

If he does not respect what we do why would we respect the correct spelling of his name.
Respect goes both ways.

Bit weird. He's really in some people's heads.

His rankings this morning was deliberately tongue in cheek and he acknowledged it at the time and yet people are still frothing at the mouth about something so arbitrary and silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would have been better if the Pies had pipped us in the 2022 PF. We got to the GF at least two years ahead of schedule and got monstered. If we can hang on to our midfield as is, we can challenge for the next 5 years. Even this year seems a bit premature given our youth. Not saying we can't win it this year, but we are still developing physically.
While I agree re: development physically, I don't think now we are at a point where we can be blown off the park physically in the same way we were in 2022. We might find it hard to counter, sure - but no harder to counter than good tactics that teams could apply in a variety of other ways.

I.e. its no longer a terminal issue for our hopes, like it was in 2022 once it came all apart early on. I think we can stick it to most teams quite well physically now, and indeed have on several occasions this season, been able to effectively force our wanted game style on to other teams, through the ability of our midfield to dominate teams both from a skills perspective, but match any physicality in the game.

Bit weird. He's really in some people's heads.

His rankings this morning was deliberately tongue in cheek and he acknowledged it at the time and yet people are still frothing at the mouth about something so arbitrary and silly.
He is a media personality.
He has a persona.

He also has his biases which he hides. But when you know them then you see the true person.
Victorian bias when multiplied by the many Victorian biased media personalities adds up to an insurmountable hurdle for non Victorian clubs. Each little media personality on their own are like a circada. Just one little insect. But in concert they create a lot of noise and cause a lot of destruction when used in concert over a wide area.

The Northern clubs he does not like.

These are just facts.

He is a media personality.
He has a persona.

He also has his biases which he hides. But when you know them then you see the true person.
Victorian bias when multiplied by the many Victorian biased media personalities adds up to an insurmountable hurdle for non Victorian clubs. Each little media personality on their own are like a circada. Just one little insect. But in concert they create a lot of noise and cause a lot of destruction when used in concert over a wide area.

The Northern clubs he does not like.

These are just facts.
He made the comment on his radio show. If you don't like him or his views or his humour don't listen.

Hearing those 'thuds' every time there's tackle is a timely reminder just how bruising the game is.
Sounds like a someone slapping a cold side of beef with a cricket bat (or rather, how i imagine that might sound).

<Damn, nearly gave away my dark secret>

The media do seem uncomfortable with being resigned to dishing out superlatives for Sydney. And a one team competition is the AFL's worst nightmare, so I'm not surprised with the way the narrative has shifted to Get the Swans.

Best case: We win another flag and the next and the next, until we win the elusive four-peat.

2nd best case: We win another flag before the rules are changed to hobble us in some way

2nd Worst case: 2016 on repeat - Cue the Bwave Dogs.

Worst case: A repeat of 2016 before the rules are changed to hobble us in some way

And for three quarters they were quite competitive. It's not like they weren't in the game and didn't have their chances (they led by 5 goals in the first.)

We just blew the game open in the third quarter, with most of the damage being done out of the centre, where they were at full strength.
The sight of McKay and Curnow relegated to plugging holes in their defence - priceless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back