Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

King is bang on.
I love what he has said because it’s spot on.
I’ve been thinking it since the Carlton game when the first quarter bad starts commenced.
It has snowballed & the player arrogance snowballed among some.
Just watch the post match interviews after we came back & won those games.
The one against the Crows we were on the ropes until Amartey kicks 9.
Not sustainable.
It’s now come crashing down.
We can now actually use this to win the flag. It could just be the smashing we needed to embarrass the players into some effort because defensive effort for some has not been there for the full 4 quarters of games but against Port it wasn’t there at all individually & then in turn, as a team.
This can go either way.
I trust that it will be hard to beat the Pies but we’ll give it a better effort.
I agree with some of your comments, especially about playing as a team, but poor first quarter starts didn't start with Carlton, only early we ground our way back in and very few resulted in losses. Teams who went our hard enough against us were able to stay ahead for a quarter, a half or even three quarters but we had the endurance to go the distance.

I suggest too much focus on first quarter starts left us trying to nullify the opposition, playing too defensively and too cautiously, when our natural game was to apply pressure without the ball but to take risks and attack fast with the ball.

Many players will run up to 10 to 15km in a game. That's an endurance race. As a former endurance runner I've seen time and again the price inexperienced runners pay if they go too fast off the start for too long.

Injuries have been a big factor in dragging us back to the pack and sadly, our young team has even less experience among the depth players. It's a positive that Horse is not panicked and the coaching staff are being conservative in bringing players back in. We're the only team that has had the luxury of resting players, given how tight the competition for the eight is. If we can pull out one or two more wins we should enter the finals in a top four position with our best 22 in good condition. That's going to be a huge advantage in a brutal finals campaign.

Should be the supposed captain fronting up.
What? Why? I want to hear Rowy's take on things as I'm sure many other fans do. He's the pressure barometer and often brings the rest of the team into it.

We finally get a presser where we can hear the questions and our most honest toiler is giving his candid views. Be thankful.

I read the Brandon Jack article on CODE. It's no secret I am a midfield nuffy (NOT an expert, as I have been accused of considering myself to be!!), so I absolutely loved it. He added no hyperbole and paid everyone their dues, and pretty much just analysed a bunch of different scenarios from the Geelong & Adelaide games, explained how our mids set up in them, and how he would try to prevent those scenarios if he were an opposition coach.

I'll try to summarise it as best as I can for those who don't have CODE:

Starts by going through the personnel and introduces them with one sentence: Heeney ("Main hit-to at stoppages"), Warner ("Starts more defensive side at stoppages and runs through"), Gulden ("Works back hard"), Rowbottom ("Disciplined, selfless"), Grundy ("Full 360-degree ruckman"), Papley ("will usually sweep at centre bounces") & Adams ("will let you get sucked into the contest")

Describes our strengths as ruck dominance & pro-active mids (mentions how formerly reactive we were), balanced & clearly defined roles, and multiple weapons at forward 50 stoppages.

Describes our weaknesses as "can get caught running forward and leaving the stoppage early", susceptible to elite opposition pressure, our slow starts & lapses in games (this is nothing new), and we become predictable when Grundy's out.

He then starts analysing the various examples of our set-ups, and goes on to offer tactics he'd deploy to hurt us. Hard to quote them here as he's gone so in-depth but if there's two constant themes throughout it would be: Stop Heeney from being the hit-to by blocking his run at the ball, and try to take Rowbottom where you want him at the contest, not where the Swans want him. Because Heeney's the "focal point" you need to try and make the ball drop where he is not. And because Rowbottom is the "anchor" you need to try and take him towards the other mids so he can't hold firm and keep the space for them.

(Jack does note multiple times that even in doing the above, you're likely opening up another bit of space for an alternative mid like a "sweeper" like Adams to get to the ball instead, but at least then it's not the Swans "dictating the terms.")

He also makes an interesting note that Grundy seems to rarely tap over his head, so whichever way his body is facing is where the ball will go.

That's about the best I can do folks. Hopefully someone can find a way to get around the paywall and share it, was a really interesting read. (Well at least I thought so.)

Sydney have gone 2-5 since this article was released. Victories being the first game after release then against North. Just interesting

Swans were also playing poorly before the article was written with some bursts of goals covering broader poor performances.

We've also played well since the article against the Lions.

Sydney have gone 2-5 since this article was released. Victories being the first game after release then against North. Just interesting
The winning streak probably didn't come to an end because that article was written. That article was written because the winning streak was probably coming to an end.

If as a group you are causing "How do you beat them?!" articles to be written about you, then chances are you've been flying for a long time and are probably on borrowed time.

It was an interesting read though because it went into our midfield beyond "LoOk aT aLL tHeIr ScOre InVoLVemEnTs"

Logan and Errol named in 40-player squad for 22Under22 squad
952x592.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree absolute dickhead regardless if its nonsense you dont see any other ex players trying to bring their club down when they are flying.
I liked the article, and I get that he's mostly just responding to and taking the mickey out of the ludicrous idea that his article genuinely led to our demise somehow. But he probably just needs to read the room a bit... Many Swans fans are on edge and sensitive right now and don't need to see a former player appearing like he's getting a kick out of it.

Not saying he needs to be like Jude and show his disappointment and frustration on Twitter and the radio. But just maybe save the comedy for another time or subject matter?

I liked the article, and I get that he's mostly just responding to and taking the mickey out of the ludicrous idea that his article genuinely led to our demise somehow. But he probably just needs to read the room a bit... Many Swans fans are on edge and sensitive right now and don't need to see a former player appearing like he's getting a kick out of it.

Not saying he needs to be like Jude and show his disappointment and frustration on Twitter and the radio. But just maybe save the comedy for another time or subject matter?
He said pay me and i'll give you an answer

No doubt it felt bad at the time.
But this mob are supposed to have been much superior with the "3 tied Brownlow Medallists" having played career best footy up to round 16.
Even if those three were as good as the media portrayed them it only takes a few niggles, team fatigue, injury to other players (they rely on a whole a team effort) or other teams finding ways to defend and score against them.

Heeney has never played as a mid for an entire season. Papley's not there to inject a spark into the midfield when needed, Rampe's not directing defence so there are fewer turnovers to score from.

This is a different team playing against different teams. It's hard to compare like for like. Let's hope we can get the ship going while we're still a good way from the rocks.

As much as I liked the man, as an honest toiler on the field but especially as an insightful writer, it's a bit of a stretch to believe he was the only one to pick out the chinks in our armour while a host of opposition teams and footy analysts in the media had no clue. There was no inside knowledge either. The Swans teams he played in followed a very different game plan.

If it were true that he was the only one able to dissect our game and identify our weaknesses, we should put him on staff to analyse and plan the demise of our opposition week to week.

Agree absolute dickhead regardless if its nonsense you dont see any other ex players trying to bring their club down when they are flying.

Lol the Jack hate is so over the top, seen plenty of ex players dissect their own teams, who gives a flying ****.

Some here just want to be angry about everything

He's no good a complete smartarse about it , now that was media

You should abuse him on twitter more that will show him

Brandon Jack barely played for us anyway why would he owe the club anything too 🤣

Imagine thinking Brandon Jack had anything to do with our current form 🤦‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back