Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we really need to simplify our forward structure next year . Get back to a traditional set up

Logan as key forward
Paps as the small
Hayward as the hybrid
Cleary as defensive pressure
Sheldrick should be in the guts so we can have heeney and Warner alternating forward.

play Blakey as chf

Going to go one of two ways from here. If the same shit continues we'll still be a good team but this group will likely not taste the ultimate success. OR they have the maturity and burning desire to go up a level mentally and physically. With a few adjustments there is no reason why we can't dominate even more convincingly next season and put ourselves there again.
The question is though why wasn't that burning desire there yesterday?

The majority of that team was there in 2022 and this year we were arguably better balanced and had a better run through the season and at least in my view had a better preparation for the GF.

But there was just a lack of effort, intensity, will, pretty much from the get go.
Things that should be non-negotiable in a GF.

And yet we hear players talk about how they couldn't have done a better preparation and platitudes, but no anger or steeliness, in the remarks from Longmire and Rampe at the after game function.

I'm comfortable that based on our best we should be winning premierships, but I would have no confidence that things would be better in the next GF we reach (whenever that may be).

FWIW don’t beat yourselves up too much. For a vast period of the year we were extremely poor and flaky at times. Our best was very, very good but our worst was totally uncompetitive. All the points mentioned in this thread are similar to the concerns i had about my team. Being 44 points down against GWS forced us to ride the lightning and we’ve been a different side since. The comp is so even now, it comes down to who’s on and the right time. Fages acknowledged your club in his speech as the model when we had to rebuild ours. Stick fat and i am sure you will continue to be a power club for a long while.

Need a change need a fresh look
And some personnel changes …i know we Will never do it but I’d love to see em axe horse ,not just because of the grand final losses but more because we just need a fresh set of eyes on it I think the players could do with a different perspective gunna b so hard to bounce back from this new coach doesn’t have that baggage and can just get on with straight up

At the stage where who really cares if we "review the game"

Nothing will change. We have seen that multiple times
Those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question is though why wasn't that burning desire there yesterday?

The majority of that team was there in 2022 and this year we were arguably better balanced and had a better run through the season and at least in my view had a better preparation for the GF.

But there was just a lack of effort, intensity, will, pretty much from the get go.
Things that should be non-negotiable in a GF.

And yet we hear players talk about how they couldn't have done a better preparation and platitudes, but no anger or steeliness, in the remarks from Longmire and Rampe at the after game function.

I'm comfortable that based on our best we should be winning premierships, but I would have no confidence that things would be better in the next GF we reach (whenever that may be).
This is the main point for me, we were not beaten by anything that needs skill or expertise, we were beaten by a real lack of fight and pressure which takes nothing but desire to execute.

After the game yesterday I was a bit disappointed with the reaction from Horse and some of the players. I would have liked to Rodney Eade in the rooms to give the coaches and the players a mega spray. Might not have done much good but sometimes I just think we are too polite as a club. Pridham's and Harley can probably cop one as well , I get that they want finals every year and membership is growing and income etc. But fundamentally we should here to win flags not tick off kpi's and it should be the number one priority in the club.
Calming down a bit we have the nucleus of a very good team. I would argue that it's as good as we have had in a decade. There are a few areas of concern but by no means are there any reasons for a fire sale and throwing out the baby with the bath water.
But coaching wise as a lot of posters have said our clearances or lack of them kills us in big games against the better teams. Relying on turnovers through pressure acts has worked well at times during the year but combined with a zone defence the better teams can monopolize posession and without the ball we can't use our attacking midfielders and the defence gets overwhelmed. If we want to be a consistent threat to win flags it has to change and the coaches have to embrace that.
I would like the club to have a Q&A session with the supporters where they could question not only Horse but Pridham's and maybe the captains. It might be uncomfortable for them but i think its healthy that the fans have a forum where they can ask the hard questions which often journalists are reluctant to ask.

Mostly sliding like he was on the ice rink
Florent is a like dog chasinganother dogs tail. Has pace but Gets so easily ballfaked out.
He’s coming into his prime but has he improved at all?

Last edited:
We got out-coached and out-played today.

Noteworthy that the young Lions players that tore the game up were all 1st round picks.

We cannot afford to burn any more 1st rounders.

And Horse needs to be moved on. Picking McDonald after the Reid debacle is unforgivable. 4GFs, 4 chokes. It’s time for change.
McDonald is underwhelming at best anyway. He can’t take a pack mark. Too slow on the lead and not availed enough to get ground balls. He only plays well when the team plays well. Amertey has higher upside and Mcclean is a way better mark even though they both go missing half the time.

Last edited:
Horses fault for not being able to stop the bleeding in Q2 but also Our team really doesn’t have a roster to win the GF. Apart from a few stars the rest are average at best. I knew we could possibly get whipped by a good Brisbane team that turns up to play.
Even the first half of the season, I thought our record flattered us. We weren’t playing 4 quarters, just blowing teams out in one or two. Other good teams were too inconsistent and weren’t really hitting their straps.
To finish our season we beat a couple of non finals teams. Squeaked out a victory when gws who shat their pants in Q4 and beat Port that didn’t turn up.
We just not good enough against the best.

Baby Powder?

On a side note I posted this in another thread but here are our top clearance players

15th - Heeney
28th - Rowbottom
31st - Grundy
67th - Warner
75th - Gulden
114th - Adams
118th - Parker

none of that inspires confidence.

And most consider Rowbottom our best clearance player too 🤦

Sure baby powder :)
Pretty sure Rowbottom, Warner and next year Sheldrick could all be top 25 if given the instruction to hunt clearances instead of the other jobs they were given this year.
It's not the players that drain confidence in that regard, it's the instructions and set up they are given by the Horse Cox in the coaching box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back