Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd really love to know what the messaging was in the huddle at quarter time.

Was it something along the lines of "We are playing okay, we are in this, keep on keeping on" or was it "you are bloody lucky you aren't 4 goals down already, we need to reset and get stuck in".

I know which of those two is in my mind the $1.05 very warm favourite, especially with the way we fell apart in the second quarter.

It was a worse capitulation than in 2022 imo i couldnt believe what i was watching honestly the amount of space they had in the 2nd i thought i was watching a preseason game.

Brisbane players were probably confused they had so many open targets to hit :tearsofjoy:

Yep i will cherish 2005 and 2012 more because the next one is not with this group of players.

The core of this group should be winning a premiership , no doubt in my mind.

We can pick it apart etc but Heeney Mills Warner Gulden Rowbottom etc etc there's enough there to deliver a cup.

They can't just give up, I believe if we nail the offseason we can sort this shit out and finally deliver, well maybe I hope or just have to believe it.

The core of this group should be winning a premiership , no doubt in my mind.

We can pick it apart etc but Heeney Mills Warner Gulden Rowbottom etc etc there's enough there to deliver a cup.

They can't just give up

The core of this group will be very lucky to ever play in a grand final again :)

After live and replays , we just allowed them to dictate like Hawks in 14 , just deny us the ball , surely the coaching panel needed to reset go man on man for 15 minutes to stop them doing what they wanted to do , but no he does F all.
Fox another good GF but he was the one for Andrews , not Parker , Andrews said he studied what Parker was doing to AA last week . It's like we think it's going to work again.
Hayward , not 1 possession in the 2nd half , what a joke his contract is , it's not about being a great bloke , same as the coaching panel , piss Macca off and freshen up ! Get say a Corey Enright , or Nigel Lappin someone outside for once

100% this. Tactically, it was such an obvious failing on Saturday, yet I haven't heard a single pundit mention this issue.

I make it 3 GFs now (14, 22, 24) that Sydney have invited the opposition to play their A game.

The Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane sides have 1 thing in common - their A game being to control the football and chisel kick / mark the opposition into oblivion. Sydney like to sag off - win it back deep (or early through a clanger) - and then go at speed into an open forward line. Works great at the SCG, and in the home and away, but not so good at the MCG against very good teams that feel most comfortable playing that way. Incidentally, the one GF you got close in (2016), the Western Bulldogs played a style that was the antithesis of the controlling, kick-mark game.

On Saturday, Sydney backed off right from early in the first quarter and let Brisbane dictate with their kicking game. I kept expecting Sydney to adjust and start pressing up the field to limit space, but no. No adjustment, for the whole game. Unbelievable. I'm obviously not a Sydney fan but I was super frustrated watching Brisbane take uncontested mark after uncontested mark. It was especially daft IMO because a Brisbane side that had played an extra final and had such a grueling run would have been vulnerable to a more open, attacking, chaotic game. But they were never tested physically. And a Sydney midfield that has some serious speed and power was never given the chance to use this advantage against a pretty one-paced Brisbane midfield.

The presser with Longmire again suggests he will learn little from the experience. I think you guys are definitely capable of winning the flag in 2025, but I don't think I'll bother tuning in if you are against another controlling, kick-mark team.

The core of this group will be very lucky to ever play in a grand final again :)

Underestimating our ability to get there and get flogged again , typical 😂

After live and replays , we just allowed them to dictate like Hawks in 14 , just deny us the ball , surely the coaching panel needed to reset go man on man for 15 minutes to stop them doing what they wanted to do , but no he does F all.
Fox another good GF but he was the one for Andrews , not Parker , Andrews said he studied what Parker was doing to AA last week . It's like we think it's going to work again.
Hayward , not 1 possession in the 2nd half , what a joke his contract is , it's not about being a great bloke , same as the coaching panel , piss Macca off and freshen up ! Get say a Corey Enright , or Nigel Lappin someone outside for once
The Parker to Andrews move seemed so lazy. It looked like there was no anticipation for how Andrews would respond to AA’s game.

Really lovely post I just saw on FB from a Swans fan:

"Apologies for the long post; this is what I sent to the club today:

Dear Sydney Swans Players, Coaches, Personnel & Support Staff,
Thank you for a wonderfully entertaining season that was 2024
❤️
🤍

It has been a season of inspiring highs & a forgettable, heartbreaking low
😞

I was there on Saturday and after hearing, seeing, speaking to & reading the way some members are reacting I felt compelled to send you an email of support and love.

You gave your all this season and I know.

Frustratingly, it did not come together in the most important game of the season. However, right now is not the time to lay blame, but to support one another and critique constructively once the dust settles.

We have a talented (and somewhat young) team. As a teacher, I see daily the mental struggles our young people go through everyday. I think it would be remiss of us to not remember that when laying blame or pointing fingers for what went & who got it wrong on Saturday. Our talented team are human after all & deserve our compassion, not vitriol.
We are all hurting but I wanted a little positivity to reach your eyes and ears amongst all this negativity I am hearing.

I have always found this club a ray of sunshine amongst the everyday challenges that life throws at you. I love the culture, the no dickheads policy and the way the leaders carry themselves throughout the ups and downs each and every season brings.

I was there in the crowd hugging total strangers when Nick Davis came to save us; cried with pride when I heard ‘Leo Barry you STAR
⭐️
’, felt the satisfaction when we beat our Collingwood losing streak and who can forget our 2012 GF win; Adam Goodes ‘cometh the moment, cometh the man’.

2017 was a hard year for me & my life mirrored our abysmal start. However, we both rallied and I was so proud with every win. Gary Rohan’s ‘mark, mark, mark’ was pretty special & to play finals, what a feat!

The success I have been privileged to witness in my years as a member has been so special. I am always #ProudlySydney
🥰

I could keep going but I think you get the idea; I love and adore my Sydney Swans and I wish them all the best over the off season. We’ll be there again amongst it in 2025; I wanted to just send some light and love when, I know, the frustrations and negativity of some are being sent in as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, they would not be as nice to read! If this can somehow be filtered down to the boys, please do.
#cheercheer & thanks for the ride that was 2024.

Lots of love,
JPK’s #1 Fan"

Yer 2016 was unlucky as all the 50/50 went against us but Dogs were still the better side imo they were running out the game far better had they been another 5mins or so that 22 point margin would of been 40+
We were robbed, no questions about it. Bulldogs played well but had it been 22 vs 22 they would have been belted

I’m not ashamed to say that I left the ground about five minutes before the final siren. I couldn’t stomach anymore of the crap I was watching and was in no mood to suffer the Lions celebrations.

However, what I was absolutely astonished by was the large number of Brisbane supporters who left at the same time as me and, indeed, before me (I could see them walking off in the distance). Just amazing that they didn’t want to be around at the end and immerse themselves in the celebrations!
I said the exact same thing to my wife - we left about the same time and were astounded how many Brisbane fans were in amongst those leaving. Like what the actual f***.

I assume many were 'Lions for a day' perhaps - but seriously, that I really, really don't get!

Underestimating our ability to get there and get flogged again , typical 😂

Nah, just reality.. Most players don't ever get to a grand final, other teams will be improving as well, I doubt the swans will.

The swans will be talking about their 75k members and how 'proud' they are of their season.

Losing to last place and getting utterly belted in the biggest game of the year.

As long as the corpo/dollars keep flowing in pridham et al are very happy.

One day they'll decide to be a footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a worse capitulation than in 2022 imo i couldnt believe what i was watching honestly the amount of space they had in the 2nd i thought i was watching a preseason game.

Brisbane players were probably confused they had so many open targets to hit :tearsofjoy:
Yep, I said similar earlier. Their run on the spread from their backline was amazing and they were simply spoilt for choice as they quickly streamed up field.

The uncontested possessions stat tells the story - 267 to 189. Wow

The Parker to Andrews move seemed so lazy. It looked like there was no anticipation for how Andrews would respond to AA’s game.

Let's be honest Aliir Aliir god love him isn't a patch on Harris Andrews.

Parker was junk until the game was dead , 5 touches in a half 3 ineffective and players jogging off him, Andrews treated him like a pesky fly

Yer 2016 was unlucky as all the 50/50 went against us but Dogs were still the better side imo they were running out the game far better had they been another 5mins or so that 22 point margin would of been 40+
It was what 2 points margin with less than 5 minutes on the clock? I think we were just broken by those couple of quick goals that were kicked in succession, less than necessarily not running the game out well. It was a day where nothing went our way at all - and I think at that point the flood gates opened because we finally cracked.

Nah, just reality.. Most players don't ever get to a grand final, other teams will be improving as well, I doubt the swans will.

The swans will be talking about their 75k members and how 'proud' they are of their season.

Losing to last place and getting utterly belted in the biggest game of the year.

As long as the corpo/dollars keep flowing in pridham et al are very happy.

One day they'll decide to be a footy club.

Maybe but if it goes like that it's actually probably better in the long run, because if they drift in the middle of the road the other stuff will fall away.

I think the talent will get us close (to making it, winning is another thing clearly)

On SENs youtube clip, Buckley talks about a specific goal that Gulden let happen. In the second qtr Gulden gave Rampe his opponent Bailey which Rampe was then beaten by, which led to a Lohmann goal(Rampe's opponent) that Gulden left alone and was walking 30m away while Lohmann goaled. That's horrendous from a "leader"

Maybe but if it goes like that it's actually probably better in the long run, because if they drift in the middle of the road the other stuff will fall away.

I think the talent will get us close (to making it, winning is another thing clearly)

Talent will only get you part of the way.

They absolutely did not want to put in work on the day. Hello jogging in the 2nd quarter

I said the exact same thing to my wife - we left about the same time and were astounded how many Brisbane fans were in amongst those leaving. Like what the actual f***.

I assume many were 'Lions for a day' perhaps - but seriously, that I really, really don't get!
Yeah, there was a group of five in front of us walking down from level 4 and I just assumed they were going to try to get down to the concourse so they could shake some players hands when they went around the ground.

Nope, they strolled out the ground as if they’d just been to the shopping mall and just kept walking.

Talent will only get you part of the way.

They absolutely did not want to put in work on the day. Hello jogging in the 2nd quarter

Agreed ,

We ran harder through the banner than we did near the Lions.

But this group has shown during the year it can fight and scrap and comeback, so what the **** happens when it really matters?

As much as Saturday sucked this club really has brought me a lot this season. It's truely been one of the worst years of my life with just about my whole family falling apart - almost all at the same time. When we were at our best we really were something else and watching them tear the league apart was my only highlight for a few months.

This group has played some of the best footy I've seen from the Swans and looking at the core you know there is a lot left to grow into.

The Grand final was truly awful but we are closer than we are further away.

I'm disappointed but in no way see this season as a failure

100% this. Tactically, it was such an obvious failing on Saturday, yet I haven't heard a single pundit mention this issue.

I make it 3 GFs now (14, 22, 24) that Sydney have invited the opposition to play their A game.

The Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane sides have 1 thing in common - their A game being to control the football and chisel kick / mark the opposition into oblivion. Sydney like to sag off - win it back deep (or early through a clanger) - and then go at speed into an open forward line. Works great at the SCG, and in the home and away, but not so good at the MCG against very good teams that feel most comfortable playing that way. Incidentally, the one GF you got close in (2016), the Western Bulldogs played a style that was the antithesis of the controlling, kick-mark game.

On Saturday, Sydney backed off right from early in the first quarter and let Brisbane dictate with their kicking game. I kept expecting Sydney to adjust and start pressing up the field to limit space, but no. No adjustment, for the whole game. Unbelievable. I'm obviously not a Sydney fan but I was super frustrated watching Brisbane take uncontested mark after uncontested mark. It was especially daft IMO because a Brisbane side that had played an extra final and had such a grueling run would have been vulnerable to a more open, attacking, chaotic game. But they were never tested physically. And a Sydney midfield that has some serious speed and power was never given the chance to use this advantage against a pretty one-paced Brisbane midfield.

The presser with Longmire again suggests he will learn little from the experience. I think you guys are definitely capable of winning the flag in 2025, but I don't think I'll bother tuning in if you are against another controlling, kick-mark team.

The analysts were saying if Brisbane is allowed to get 100 marks in a match they will likely win. We let Brisbane get something like 144 marks during the match. It is like we wanted them to win.

As much as Saturday sucked this club really has brought me a lot this season. It's truely been one of the worst years of my life with just about my whole family falling apart - almost all at the same time. When we were at our best we really were something else and watching them tear the league apart was my only highlight for a few months.

This group has played some of the best footy I've seen from the Swans and looking at the core you know there is a lot left to grow into.

The Grand final was truly awful but we are closer than we are further away.

I'm disappointed but in no way see this season as a failure

So sorry to hear that mate i hope 2025 is a much better year for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back