Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Pridham talking about best of 3s or being the biggest club in the land yet?

We'd still lose if it was best of 3.

Team can't handle pressure.

If you have your ear in the right places, you'd be surprised how often you hear something that suggests our club has been overrun by untamed egos.
Perhaps things changed when Richard Colless &’Andrew Ireland left the building. I’m not sure about Pridham being chair, he seems too stand offish. But as I’ve said previously this “bloodsculture” was a product of Roos & kirk and the 2005 team - Kirk is still there so where has it gone?

Perhaps things changed when Richard Colless &’Andrew Ireland left the building. I’m not sure about Pridham being chair, he seems too stand offish. But as I’ve said previously this “bloodsculture” was a product of Roos & kirk and the 2005 team - Kirk is still there so where has it gone?
The Bloods culture is dead and buried, alive only in name.

Bloods culture wasn't really some magical special power that we had. Winning clubs have strong cultures .

I always felt the so called "bloods " culture represented the battler in our team, we won a flag with a midfield of good honest hard working toilers . Really looking at the 05 side it's not as talented as the 24 side.

This club isn't battling , it gets by on talent and skill, needs to own unique thing it wants to stand for imo

Bloods culture wasn't really some magical special power that we had. Winning clubs have strong cultures .

I always felt the so called "bloods " culture represented the battler in our team, we won a flag with a midfield of good honest hard working toilers . Really looking at the 05 side it's not as talented as the 24 side.

This club isn't battling , it gets by on talent and skill, needs to own unique thing it wants to stand for imo
I always hear that this group is more talented than any Swans group before it. Why? Because they can run faster, jump higher, kick flashier goals?

Previous Swans groups did not poo themselves under pressure and did not need a game to be slowed down and broken open to be effective.

That's what real footy talent is. Showing up, performing your role, and being effective. Anyone not capable of doing that regularly is just a great athlete who is an average footballer.

…& Maxfield.
That’s what really makes me feel ill … what an incentive having our ol’ legend as cup presenter, yet then they present ‘that’ sort of footy.. the polar opposite of bloods footy.

Gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't think we should judge the players' actions - or inactions - on social media. Some literally just don't use their social medias. I'm quite an active browser on Instagram, but I haven't made a post since January of 2023. It would therefore be a weird and unnatural choice of platform if I ever wanted to make some serious statement to my friends and family.

I also think there's a good chance the players are torn between wanting to acknowledge what happened and wanting to move on from it for their own wellbeing. It's easy to forget that their dreams were crushed as well as ours. For most of them it's not the first time either.

Finally, I'd argue that they don't owe us anything. Their punishment was being out on the MCG in front of millions, watching their opponents celebrating a win whilst having to remain dignified. They couldn't run to the bar to drown their sorrows like the fans could. They couldn't scream that their coaches and teammates are a ****ing joke out of frustration like the fans could at their TVs. They couldn't just turn the game off and walk away like the fans could. They had to live every excruciating second of it, and then get dressed up to attend a function that is for the fans and the sponsors and put on brave faces. And then spend every day from here on out for months and months reliving that day, and being reminded of it in every interview and press conference they'll do.

So it's not like they let us down and then get to just get away with it and wipe the slate clean. Give em a break I say.
Well said. They would be hurting a million times more than we would be - even though we are justified in our disappointment, they are well known faces and the media are brutal, we are just faceless supporters. Our failings (which we have all had them) aren’t reported in the media. The players failures are played out & dissected to miserable detail by miserable detail and for along time afterwards. That must have an effect on their well being. And when it’s all said & done, they are human.

I always hear that this group is more talented than any Swans group before it. Why? Because they can run faster, jump higher, kick flashier goals?

Previous Swans groups did not poo themselves under pressure and did not need a game to be slowed down and broken open to be effective.

That's what real footy talent is. Showing up, performing your role, and being effective. Anyone not capable of doing that regularly is just a great athlete who is an average footballer.

Flashy, skilled, call it what you will, they do win a lot so we can't pretend they don't perform to a degree. I guess flashy is maybe more what I mean, Gulden kicking v Kirk kicking for instance . But i'd pick prime Kirk for a big moment

Well said. They would be hurting a million times more than we would be - even though we are justified in our disappointment, they are well known faces and the media are brutal, we are just faceless supporters. Our failings (which we have all had them) aren’t reported in the media. The players failures are played out & dissected to miserable detail by miserable detail and for along time afterwards. That must have an effect on their well being. And when it’s all said & done, they are human.

I agree but I think if they just said that was a ****en mess and we let it get the better of us and we choked or whatever , we got a here you go feeling etc etc I'd be like ok cheers that's honest let's deal with it.

Prep was good we just don't know what happened but it wasn't the moment is just the BS people don't want to hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flashy, skilled, call it what you will, they do win a lot so we can't pretend they don't perform to a degree. I guess flashy is maybe more what I mean, Gulden kicking v Kirk kicking for instance . But i'd pick prime Kirk for a big moment
Well that's what I mean though. Flashy is great for a moment but there's a reason a highlights reel is 6 or 7 minutes of a 120 minute game. You need blokes doing things in the other 110 minutes and that's usually the part of the game that wins or loses it for you.

JPK for example always delivered in those 110 minutes and we were better for it. Yet now he'd be seen as slow and not as skilful.

I can't say I disagree with what you've said and I guess they probably are hurting, but 3/4 of Saturday's team were there two years ago so why the same result?
If THEY were hurting so much, THEY were the ones that could change it, but THEY were the ones that were jogging when the Lions players were running, THEY were the ones that couldn't stick a tackle, THEY were the ones who looked like they didn't give a shit etc etc.
THEY are the ones that COULD do something about it, but chose not too.
Yeah tactics were terrible but it's not like the players ever looked anything like being in that contest - and that's what shits me the most.

Well that's what I mean though. Flashy is great for a moment but there's a reason a highlights reel is 6 or 7 minutes of a 120 minute game. You need blokes doing things in the other 110 minutes and that's usually the part of the game that wins or loses it for you.

JPK for example always delivered in those 110 minutes and we were better for it. Yet now he'd be seen as slow and not as skilful.

Yep the bullshit that gets all the attention is what we have now and we didn't have before

I can't say I disagree with what you've said and I guess they probably are hurting, but 3/4 of Saturday's team were there two years ago so why the same result?
If THEY were hurting so much, THEY were the ones that could change it, but THEY were the ones that were jogging when the Lions players were running, THEY were the ones that couldn't stick a tackle, THEY were the ones who looked like they didn't give a shit etc etc.
THEY are the ones that COULD do something about it, but chose not too.
Yeah tactics were terrible but it's not like the players ever looked anything like being in that contest - and that's what shits me the most.
Maybe they were all set up for failure though. By which I mean, all season long we have known that hardness, pressure, grunt etc. were not our biggest strengths, and that our biggest strengths laid elsewhere (mainly ball movement, outside run etc.) In most teams you can get away with say 4 or 5 players who are "soft" (I hate that term in reference to footy players). But for us it is probably over half our team that could be put in that box. Horse is OK with this, the players are OK with this, even the fans are OK with this. Then they get out there, in a grand final - which every player who has partaken in one has attested to is a different level of pressure and intensity - and they become acutely aware that they might not be cut out for it. And they all know it, and that awareness spreads like a virus amongst the team. Who is going to suddenly step up and become the leader by example in hardness and pressure, when that hasn't been their role all year?

Maybe they were all set up for failure though. By which I mean, all season long we have known that hardness, pressure, grunt etc. were not our biggest strengths, and that our biggest strengths laid elsewhere (mainly ball movement, outside run etc.) In most teams you can get away with say 4 or 5 players who are "soft" (I hate that term in reference to footy players). But for us it is probably over half our team that could be put in that box. Horse is OK with this, the players are OK with this, even the fans are OK with this. Then they get out there, in a grand final - which every player who has partaken in one has attested to is a different level of pressure and intensity - and they become acutely aware that they might not be cut out for it. And they all know it, and that awareness spreads like a virus amongst the team. Who is going to suddenly step up and become the leader by example in hardness and pressure, when that hasn't been their role all year?

The odd thing is that Horse & everyone else talked about pressure throughout the season, yet on the biggest stage it went missing...again.

The odd thing is that Horse & everyone else talked about pressure throughout the season, yet on the biggest stage it went missing...again.
I feel like our team-wide pressure was never at the level it needed to be across the whole season. First few games against Melbourne & Collingwood seemed promising but after that, felt like our pressure and intensity dropped off and we started relying more on our ball movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back