Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

They should give everyone who attended the GF, free membership next year.

Maybe the members scarf or hat should have like a cross on it for every grand final you suffered through.

If you see another member with the 96,06,14,16,22,24 crosses you just give them a nod

Then of course if you meet Bedford and he has his 34,35,36,45 crosses you bow down to the old boy.

That Port Adelaide pre-lim was fools gold. I feel like a sucker.

so much was done pretty well, Amartey played in front, we didn't bomb away, we move the ball well, took marks, not a perfect game but a lot was done well

Or, at the least, free counselling. Not sure I can do it again... go to a potential 5th GF fail.
First time I've lost full trust...but things are still raw. Will update in 11 months. :smirk:

If we make it next year I was trying to think what I would do differently , think maybe get out into a coma during the game

Tom Harley give me a ****in spell …
What’s this club become
Not a basket case on its knees. Struggling to survive.

Harsh reality is that you need the likes of Harley and Pridham to run the club like a business if it’s to survive. They have nothing to do with the on field performances.

Look at St Kilda off field it’s embarrassing the way there President carries on about academies and father sons. Be grateful our off field leaders aren’t so poor.

I think we have a culture in general which is solid and we give it a go, we get in the ring, we try , we have historically been shit and we are happy to now be decent, we have a good facility and look how much we have improved. There's a lot good.

But look at a club like the Hawks, if they aren't winning flags and you don't to win then then get the **** out

Dear John
Theres no doubt for sure to be sure. Thanks for the motivational quote!

"Sydney coach John Longmire didn’t let the club’s Grand Final loss to Geelong burden him.
While Longmire and the Swans would have been disappointed with their performance in the 133-52 loss, the coach himself views the defeat as simply part of the ups and downs of a career in the caper.

“It’s just part of life, it’s part of football and a football career,” Longmire said on SEN’s Sportsday.
“I’ve been beaten in the last 10 seconds of a Prelim final, as a player in finals I’ve had some terrible losses as I have a coach.
“I’m sure Chris Scott would say the same thing, I’m sure Tom Hawkins would say the same thing.
“That’s just part of what we do and what we have to be mindful of.”

As well as not letting the defeat define him, Longmire revealed that post-game he implored his players to pick themselves up and used a famous quote from former US President Teddy Roosevelt to prove his point.

“I spoke to the players about the Teddy Roosevelt quote which is that you’ve got to be prepared to get back into the arena, you’ve got to admire the man in the arena,” Longmire said.

“Give yourself a chance, you’ve just got to keep doing things right all the time to get back in there and give yourself a chance.

“There’s no doubt we’d like to give ourselves a better chance next time and do it a lot better, but you’ve got to give yourself a chance and put ourselves in that position.

“That requires a lot of hard work but it’s also understanding what you do well.

“In the Grand Final we clearly didn’t do well, but we did a lot of other things really well

Great idea 😀. I threw well over $1,000 against the wall to watch that crap. Mind you, a friend of mine was lamenting the fact that he’s been to all of the last four of the Swans’ Grand Finals, so goodness knows what he’s owed by now!

Reckon my mortgage would now be paid off if I'd stayed home in September the last 10 years :weary:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the members scarf or hat should have like a cross on it for every grand final you suffered through.

If you see another member with the 96,06,14,16,22,24 crosses you just give them a nod

Then of course if you meet Bedford and he has his 34,35,36,45 crosses you bow down to the old boy.
Do we get a prize if you hit bingo with a minimum of 5 GF losses?

Like 10 free sessions with the Swans club psychologist so we can then repeat the talking points and feel all mushy and good inside :cool:

I can't say I disagree with what you've said and I guess they probably are hurting, but 3/4 of Saturday's team were there two years ago so why the same result?
If THEY were hurting so much, THEY were the ones that could change it, but THEY were the ones that were jogging when the Lions players were running, THEY were the ones that couldn't stick a tackle, THEY were the ones who looked like they didn't give a shit etc etc.
THEY are the ones that COULD do something about it, but chose not too.
Yeah tactics were terrible but it's not like the players ever looked anything like being in that contest - and that's what shits me the most.
And that’s a totally fair call too. I’m looking at it also from a mental health point of view. This is their job, and they’ve failed big time. Yes there must be “please explains” & why did the wheels fall off & some heads will roll. The difference between us and them though is that we (the supporters) arent under the nationwide media scrutiny. I’m also mindful that social media can be an absolutely vile place and can make or break people. As much as it’s been a massive disappointment for us, I think we still need to be careful with the vitriol. Everyone involved in this are human.

Great idea 😀. I threw well over $1,000 against the wall to watch that crap. Mind you, a friend of mine was lamenting the fact that he’s been to all of the last four of the Swans’ Grand Finals, so goodness knows what he’s owed by now!
2 losses 2 wins for me and one written off car (along with a couple of broken ribs ) on the night we lost by a point in ‘06 out the front of Princess park.Now that was an expensive weekend.

I’m still trying to get my head around the “one game will not define us” mantra they had going in.

When you grow up, you dream of doing something amazing to win a GF. Why would you not want to the game to define you going in? What are you scared of? Isn’t this why you wanted to play AFL?

And each GF really is a unique opportunity for a team. Every year the composition of personnel changes, so no two years are the same. Each GF will literally define that team. Plus even the core of any team that persists across years is incredibly fortunate if they play in more than 2 GFs together.

So take your moment. Embrace it. Deal with the devastation and pain if it comes, but why think about that going in?

Michael Jordon said he never thought about missing a shot before taking, because what is the point? This might be a provocative observation, but I reckon he wad pretty good at performing on the big stage.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to get my head around the “one game will not define us” mantra they had going in.

When you grow up, you dream of doing something amazing to win a GF. Why would you not want to the game to define you going in? What are you scared of? Isn’t this why you wanted to play AFL?

And each GF really is a unique opportunity for a team. Every year the composition of personnel changes, so no two years are the same. Each GF will literally define that team. Plus even the core of any team that persists across years is incredibly fortunate if they play in more than 2 GFs together.

So take your moment. Embrace it. Deal with the devastation and pain if it comes, but why think about that going in?

Nichael Jordon said he never thought about missing a shot before taking, because what is the point? This might be a provocative observation, but I reckon he wad pretty good at performing on the big stage.

It's the whole point of working damn hard to get a double chance it's to give yourself the best opportunity to win the flag.

Honestly I'm just truly baffled I have never heard any other club speaking in such defeatist terms I don't have any answers just bewilderment.

Club is nothing like the early to mid 2000's we actually stood for something back then.

Nichael Jordon said he never thought about missing a shot before taking, because what is the point? This might be a provocative observation, but I reckon he wad pretty good at performing on the big stage.

What did his brother Michael say?

Getting flogged in a GF when you were the best side there really taints the memories of the whole bloody year. When I think back to 14 can't think of anything but a wasted year, wasted opportunity, even though we arguably played some of our best football ever that year. This year will be (already is) similar.

When you lose a GF having a genuine ****ing crack though you can look back on the year with good memories and not get pissed off e.g 06 generally good memories, 16 similar - bar maybe the frustrations of 'you know what' on GF day itself, (but even with that included as fan you can still remember and be proud of JPK's herculean effort that day etc.).

Had we just had a ****ing crack last week, the loss, while probably still disheartening losing a 4th in a row, would be somewhat stomachable. All this talk about keep getting into the ring etc. so annoyed we didn't even have a single ****ing swing while in there....again.

Getting flogged in a GF when you were the best side there really taints the memories of the whole bloody year. When I think back to 14 can't think of anything but a wasted year, wasted opportunity, even though we arguably played some of our best football ever that year. This year will be (already is) similar.

When you lose a GF having a genuine ****ing crack though you can look back on the year with good memories and not get pissed off e.g 06 generally good memories, 16 similar - bar maybe the frustrations of 'you know what' on GF day itself, (but even with that included as fan you can still remember and be proud of JPK's herculean effort that day etc.).

Had we just had a ****ing crack last week, the loss, while probably still disheartening losing a 4th in a row, would be somewhat stomachable. All this talk about keep getting into the ring etc. so annoyed we didn't even have a single ****ing swing while in there....again.
Yea this one stings. Absolute waste of a season.

Dear John
Theres no doubt for sure to be sure. Thanks for the motivational quote!

"Sydney coach John Longmire didn’t let the club’s Grand Final loss to Geelong burden him.
While Longmire and the Swans would have been disappointed with their performance in the 133-52 loss, the coach himself views the defeat as simply part of the ups and downs of a career in the caper.

“It’s just part of life, it’s part of football and a football career,” Longmire said on SEN’s Sportsday.
“I’ve been beaten in the last 10 seconds of a Prelim final, as a player in finals I’ve had some terrible losses as I have a coach.
“I’m sure Chris Scott would say the same thing, I’m sure Tom Hawkins would say the same thing.
“That’s just part of what we do and what we have to be mindful of.”

As well as not letting the defeat define him, Longmire revealed that post-game he implored his players to pick themselves up and used a famous quote from former US President Teddy Roosevelt to prove his point.

“I spoke to the players about the Teddy Roosevelt quote which is that you’ve got to be prepared to get back into the arena, you’ve got to admire the man in the arena,” Longmire said.

“Give yourself a chance, you’ve just got to keep doing things right all the time to get back in there and give yourself a chance.

“There’s no doubt we’d like to give ourselves a better chance next time and do it a lot better, but you’ve got to give yourself a chance and put ourselves in that position.

“That requires a lot of hard work but it’s also understanding what you do well.

“In the Grand Final we clearly didn’t do well, but we did a lot of other things really well
The quintessential Kamala Harris word salad

Yea this one stings. Absolute waste of a season.
  • Best individual season by a Swan in years :thumbsu:
  • Beat GWS our arch rivals THREE times :thumbsu:
  • Beat our bogey side Port for first time in eight years :thumbsu:
  • Competition was mostly shit and had to fight to get to GF :thumbsu:
  • Opposition ruckman was out :thumbsu:
  • Best ruckman we've had in years :thumbsu:
  • Three games and percentage clear on top of ladder at one stage :thumbsu:
  • Best run with injuries we've had in years :thumbsu:
  • Non-Victorian GF opponent :thumbsu:

Still couldn't even be competitive in a grand final :thumbsdown:

Horse has got an absurd amount of explaining to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back