Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

academy awards oscars GIF

When you think about it, there is a lot of Don Pykein what we are left with. The Crows 2017 and the Swans 2022 2024 are eerily similar and both don’t stand up in GFs.The changes we implemented with arrival of Pyke delivered us exactly the same result.
Don Pyke wasn't there in 2014

Don Pyke wasn't there in 2014
No, but this is about 22 and 24 whiter his influence on the game style Longmire implimented. 2014 in my mind was not a structural loss, more a physical one.

I just think Horse & co have struggled a bit in balancing all these flashy outside players they've got at their disposal with the hardness and defensive stuff still most needed to win grand finals. It's a fine line between letting this group play the way they want to play and letting them get away with not necessarily playing the right way.

Fagan is a way better coach than Horse unfortunately.

It was exceptional how he managed the season after starting 0-3 and losing multiple best 22 players to ACL.

I rate it higher than the Bulldogs 2016 at least Brisbane did it fairly.

We could only dream of having a season as good as Brisbane 2024 they have essentially equaled what we have done in a decade in half the time.

"Four unmarked players doesn't define us, we had a great year' JL

^We all got stories to tell mate but nobody cares when you're out there, especially when 4 of us run off our man, with our hair flapping in the wind, to get a kick'
DR

'....but look at all the red and white in the crowd! we have 75000 members, a shiny new training facilities to pay and hope to sell. We are resilient.....PS membership is due in 6 weeks. Afterpay available" Marketing

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You disagree?

I disagree. Horse has had more success over a longer period of time. Brisbane hadn’t won a grand final since 2003 until this year. But Fagan wins one with a clearly superior list and that suddenly makes him a “way better coach”? Such ****ing drivel.

Don’t get me wrong, Fagan’s a good coach, but Brisbane almost found a way to screw it up this season. That team really shouldn’t be finishing 5th in the regular season with the players at their disposal.

Last edited:
I disagree. Horse has had more success over a longer period of time. Brisbane hadn’t won a grand final since 2003 until this year. But Fagan wins one with a clearly superior list and that suddenly makes him a “way better coach”? Such ****ing drivel.

Don’t get me wrong, Fagan’s a good coach, but Brisbane almost found a way to screw it up this season. That team really shouldn’t be finishing 5th in the regular season with the players at their disposal.

Clearly superior list 😂😂 Yeah right convenient to say that now....no idea

I'll just judge them on their results, one has a side that folds under pressure year after the year, the other coach steered his side through adversity succcessfully. He also takes accountability for poor performance.

You may say that the grass is greener on the other side, but Fagan was forced to adapt on the fly with all the ACL injuries early on in the season. You can understand the team being down on confidence, they could have quit but they didn't. How they came back into the season was impressive tbh.

The Lions also gave it their all against the Pies at the MCG. Yes there was some luck, but they kept themselves in the contest with a chance of winning it at the end. Now if only we performed like that at least this year.

You may say that the grass is greener on the other side, but Fagan was forced to adapt on the fly with all the ACL injuries early on in the season. You can understand the team being down on confidence, they could have quit but they didn't. How they came back into the season was impressive tbh.

The Lions also gave it their all against the Pies at the MCG. Yes there was some luck, but they kept themselves in the contest with a chance of winning it at the end. Now if only we performed like that at least this year.

Even with the Lions "vastly superior list" got 1 All Australian to our 4

Horse has been around for an additional 5 years, Brisbane were rubbish when Fagan joined. They underperformed for a couple of years, but win a flag convincingly against the top side a year after a narrow but gallant defeat. Whereas 3 of our last 4 grand finals have been anything but gallant, completely outcoached and outplayed.

Brisbane certainly reaping the benefits of being out of it for so long, having good draft picks, f/s etc, but Fagan is clearly up there with Horse and certainly seems to handle grand finals better.

It wasn't just talent that happened the other week, we have plenty of it too, it was gameplan and attitude.

Horse has been around for an additional 5 years, Brisbane were rubbish when Fagan joined. They underperformed for a couple of years, but win a flag convincingly against the top side a year after a narrow but gallant defeat. Whereas 3 of our last 4 grand finals have been anything but gallant, completely outcoached and outplayed.

Brisbane certainly reaping the benefits of being out of it for so long, having good draft picks, f/s etc, but Fagan is clearly up there with Horse and certainly seems to handle grand finals better.

It wasn't just talent that happened the other week, we have plenty of it too, it was gameplan and attitude.
5% game plan and 95% attitude.
We saw what they would bring from the second half of the PF and were mentally unprepared. Some on coaches, some on players.
From early in the season many on here we're most concerned about meeting Brisbane and so it came to pass.

It was exceptional how he managed the season after starting 0-3 and losing multiple best 22 players to ACL.

I rate it higher than the Bulldogs 2016 at least Brisbane did it fairly.

We could only dream of having a season as good as Brisbane 2024 they have essentially equaled what we have done in a decade in half the time.
They got on with the season and didn't complain.

Compare that to last year when we were in a injury crisis and Longmire couldn't stop using it as an excuse when we lost...

Re. Chris Fagan

I remember midway during this season, David King kept saying Brisbane needed to get rid of Fagan because he was not a good enough coach to make the team successful. And they needed to get Chris Scott because he was a vastly superior coach.

Even Chris Scott has been criticised as a coach before winning in 2022 for not taking Geelong to a premiership for a few years. Fagan had been criticised for straight sets finals exits in 2019 and 2021. And not taking advantage in 2020 when the grand final was held in Brisbane.

Brisbane have by far the better key position players. We don’t have a beast like Lochie Neale, we don’t have a Harris Andrews and we don’t have a fairly reliable forward like Daniher. We have a flashy high scoring midfield when things are going well, but they collectively tend to disappear when we struggle and we have obvious deficiencies all over the ground. We very much overperformed in the first half of the season, while Brisbane underperformed terribly, even accounting for their injuries. Things just reverted to the mean the longer the season went.

Brisbane were one of the clear favourites to win the flag before the season started because they legitimately have an excellent list. No one had us anywhere close to the grand final. Brisbane’s list is genuinely deeper and better than ours at present.

It’s really strange how some of you are handling the loss on here. It’s just been ceaseless hyperbole and unrestrained rage, and it honestly does my head in. As disappointing as the GF was, the overwhelming negativity and total lack of perspective on here is even more so. I used to think we had one of the best fan bases in the AFL. Now I realise we’re no better than Port in this respect.

But please, continue lynching everyone associated with the club. Don’t mind me. I’m just a happy clapper after all.

Brisbane have by far the better key position players. We don’t have a beast like Lochie Neale, we don’t have a Harris Andrews and we don’t have a fairly reliable forward like Daniher. We have a flashy high scoring midfield when things are going well, but they collectively tend to disappear when we struggle and we have obvious deficiencies all over the ground. We very much overperformed in the first half of the season, while Brisbane underperformed terribly, even accounting for their injuries. Things just reverted to the mean the longer the season went.

Brisbane were one of the clear favourites to win the flag before the season started because they legitimately have an excellent list. No one had us anywhere close to the grand final. Brisbane’s list is genuinely deeper and better than ours at present.

It’s really strange how some of you are handling the loss on here. It’s just been ceaseless hyperbole and unrestrained rage, and it honestly does my head in. As disappointing as the GF was, the overwhelming negativity and total lack of perspective on here is even more so. I used to think we had one of the best fan bases in the AFL. Now I realise we’re no better than Port in this respect.

But please, continue lynching everyone associated with the club. Don’t mind me. I’m just a happy clapper after all.
If we only have a flashy high scoring midfield when things are going well, and things started to go badly, why was Parker and/or Jordon not moved into the midfield immediately? Why did we go with a defensive zone, instead of manning up, especially when it was clearly not working.

That's on coaches.

This reads to me like someone trying hard to find excuses for the coaches and the players.

We matched them in H&A when they were at the peak of their revival, at their home ground, with injuries in the first half, and missing our best contested mid. But we absolutely flubbed the grand final (yet again). It is not talent related.

As disappointing as the GF was, the overwhelming negativity and total lack of perspective on here is even more so. I used to think we had one of the best fan bases in the AFL. Now I realise we’re no better than Port in this respect.

Also, I'm not in the Sack Horse immediately camp, I think he has one year left of my patience. No contract renewal until after the season's end. We need to win a flag, or show that we are adapting to a style that might win one and make a good fist of it (with only injuries or other external factors stopping us).

If we don't and we don't show that we are taking winning flags as seriously as we should, then it's time for Horse to go. I can empathise with those who think 3 absolute failures of grand finals is enough chances though.

People mock the Sack Hinkley thread and that section of Port fans, and while I may disagree with some of the rhetoric, they deserve a medal having to put up with the club's lack of ambition and the section of the fan base that tolerates continual failure, and dismisses them as whingers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back