Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because players are re signed doesn’t mean they can’t be moved on or others for that matter .

The club is not ruthless enough in its list progression. Besides the re signings is just a cop out excuse. If they are resigning players to the detriment of list flexibility that’s on them.

“ hey it’s not our fault we can’t bring any talent in, we signed too many players to long term deals on too much money, don’t blame us “
Who would you have traded out to bring this talent in?

Just because players are re signed doesn’t mean they can’t be moved on or others for that matter .

The club is not ruthless enough in its list progression. Besides the re signings is just a cop out excuse. If they are resigning players to the detriment of list flexibility that’s on them.

“ hey it’s not our fault we can’t bring any talent in, we signed too many players to long term deals on too much money, don’t blame us “

Really love posts like this. Just shows the ignorance of the person when they fail to understand the basic concept that we can’t trade out players who don’t want to leave and can’t trade in players that don’t want to be here.

But sure rant away because we didn’t win trade week like you do every year without providing any real value of what we could’ve done differently other than breaching the players rights under the CBA.

Really love posts like this. Just shows the ignorance of the person when they fail to understand the basic concept that we can’t trade out players who don’t want to leave and can’t trade in players that don’t want to be here.

But sure rant away because we didn’t win trade week like you do every year without providing any real value of what we could’ve done differently other than breaching the players rights under the CBA.

They are chains ;)

Plenty offered opinions what to do. Trading Warner this year for 3 and a f1 from west coast would have been a start.

Every man and his dog knows he’s not staying behind next year so the trigger should have been squeezed. Instead we wait till next year when the inevitable request comes and we get a pick in the mid teens for him.

Who knows maybe we improve next year with Warner and get closer to a flag, and only lose by 50 points

Plenty offered opinions what to do. Trading Warner this year for 3 and a f1 from west coast would have been a start.

Every man and his dog knows he’s not staying behind next year so the trigger should have been squeezed. Instead we wait till next year when the inevitable request comes and we get a pick in the mid teens for him.

Who knows maybe we improve next year with Warner and get closer to a flag, and only lose by 50 points
Who's dog knows ? i know plenty that don't

Thank you for the clarity as always

I don't like using caps but YOU CAN'T.

Guess we slink off to the new year with nobody the wiser on what went wrong.

Clueless 4, starring Longmire, Harley and Pridham. 4 movies in and still wondering ‘what happened’. How does this franchise keep getting funded for the same movie over and over

1729306828768.png

Hehe you changed very quickly after a month :p!
Still angry 😡, don’t see the point of bringing the comedy, just can’t compete with the zingers from the club:
‘This game won’t define us’
‘It wasn’t meant to be’
‘We’ll get back in the ring’
‘We trained really well’
‘Don’t really know what went wrong’
‘We’re proud of what we achieved this year’

Guess I’ll take comfort in the Minor Premiers line of merchandise about to be released.

Still angry 😡, don’t see the point of bringing the comedy, just can’t compete with the zingers from the club:
‘This game won’t define us’
‘It wasn’t meant to be’
‘We’ll get back in the ring’
‘We trained really well’
‘Don’t really know what went wrong’
‘We’re proud of what we achieved this year’

Guess I’ll take comfort in the Minor Premiers line of merchandise about to be released.

Dont get invested so much into GF day i didnt watch any of the leadup or the pointless press conferences.

Watched the game (obviously) saw it coming during the first quarter structures all over the place held a glimmer of hope they would maybe kick 2.14 or something and we would still be in the game.

Watched till the end turned it off will never watch it again like 2014/2022

We're all style, no substance.

I've been consistent all season long that we were seriously mistaken if we thought our version of "pressure" was going to stack up against other teams in finals, particularly a grand final.

Sam Reid made an interesting comment at the B&F, referring to the 2012 side and how everyone was "dialled in" to their roles on the day. Well OK, let's imagine that our players this year showed up on the day and were dialled in to their role. Who was going to be "dialled in" to applying manic pressure, cracking in to win hard balls, sticking tough tackles that made the opposition hurt, working hard both sides of the ball to defend opposition time and space?

I'll tell you who... hardly any of them. Because it's not their role. They weren't great at those things all season long, why would we expect them to suddenly be great at it on the day?

You get the team you coach, and you get the team you pick. A midfield with a whopping total of two hard mids in it, a forward line with one small forward and zero players elite in the pressure area, and a team stacked with uncontested, outside players... is probably going to lack hardness in the midfield, pressure in the forward line, and players suited to the contest on the day. Especially in a grand final, which every player who has played in one has attested to it being another level of intensity from any other match.

Horse has to change the DNA of this team and what it's about, and what HE wants it to be about.
I think Josh Dunkley summed it for me.

Wasnt spoken about for norm smith and didn't get big numbers but sacrificed himself for the team.

Tackled and fought and jostled like an absolute warrior all day.

Was a beast of a performance without any accolades.

Clearly he was dialled in to what the coach wanted him to do.

He was the battering ram so the runners could get space and time.

We had nothing even close to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the GF again for the first time on screen as part of my ongoing therapy.

With 8:48 mins left in second quarter scores were 26-34 .. anyone's game.
8.5 mins later at halftime it was 27-73 ... that 8 minute 6 goal burst which we've done many a time this year, broke our back. We still had every chance to return serve though in the 3rd & bring it all back..and I still had some small hope then.. we are the bloods after all and have finished so well most of year.

3rd quarter - JJs set shot out on the full (imagine if that went through) and then the stuff-up from Jmac to have it slingshotted for Ah Chee goal.
With 10 min left of 3/4 Heeney goals to bring it back to 1/2 time differential so still miniscule hope lingers.
Warner's crap kick out of centre into our fwd 50 and all downhill from there... Ashcroft goal and nothing else clicked after that. Game definitely over then.

I don't believe we need the wholesale changes many have talked about.
We were #1 for a reason and we put it right up Briz in round 19 with our lesser stacked team at their home-ground. We have the talent & firepower, most of which are young and will get smarter and stronger. So a few tweaks with strategies, setups, Plan-Bs & Cs needed...but most of all, mental training relating to the big day.

Would be f***ing nice too if the AFL gives us some big crowd games at the G closer to September next year...or at least in the 2nd half of season!

If if & buts were candy and nuts, but I firmly believe it would've been a different story has Cats held on that week before. They were banged up bad & the same finals journey as us with breaks. If they made it through it would've been like us in 2022 when we just hobbled into the GF after the prelim against the Pies.
Lions were absolutely on fire with eyes on the prize through the finals series with their powerful comebacks and were just totally ballistic on big the day. 200% more I reckon than that game ~2 months before at the Gabba. We were so so sloppy and made it easier of course.

Still believe our best can beat the best, but that day we were at about 50% in effort and skills.

Anyway, just some ponderings.

Therapy continues...
Not sure about this analysis.

Lions were just all over us in the third.

If anything they would think they should have won by more.

Whatever happens no stone needs to be unturned to find out the reason for that disgusting gutless performance .from Rampe holding hands in the photo etc. and right through the coaching .
Horse has been fantastic , but must pull the pin at the end of next season
Rampe still found time in his speech to brown nose the Murdoch family and seemed to somehow remember to specifically thank real-estate.com.

Says it all about the club culture.

Too much effort sucking up to the big end of town and not enough being a down to earth footy club with boots on terra firma.

Wasnt spoken about for norm smith and didn't get big numbers but sacrificed himself for the team.

Spot on wouldn't he be good for us !

It's not just Dunkley though. McCluggage was doing just as much of that tough stuff like blocking, putting body on etc. Then you have Berry on the wing who pushes in at stoppages to do similar sort of things with his negating roles.

Point is, there's always someone around who can do the heavy lifting in this regard, which means there's always two or three others who can attack the ball, including Dunkley himself at times. It's a very even midfield group. They each have their strengths but they're all not so bad in one area or the other which means they chop out for each other and share the load. It's no surprise then it felt like we were getting full on assaulted by Lions mids from every angle - if it wasn't Ashcroft it was Neale, if it wasn't Neale it was McCluggage, if it wasn't McCluggage it was Dunkley.

I think Horse thinks a balanced midfield means having a purely defensive player and a purely attacking player in the same stoppage, but what that really means is you're using two midfielders just to try and achieve the output of one midfielder. Which effectively means we're a man short at most contests. Dumb.

It's not just Dunkley though. McCluggage was doing just as much of that tough stuff like blocking, putting body on etc. Then you have Berry on the wing who pushes in at stoppages to do similar sort of things with his negating roles.

Point is, there's always someone around who can do the heavy lifting in this regard, which means there's always two or three others who can attack the ball, including Dunkley himself at times. It's a very even midfield group. They each have their strengths but they're all not so bad in one area or the other which means they chop out for each other and share the load. It's no surprise then it felt like we were getting full on assaulted by Lions mids from every angle - if it wasn't Ashcroft it was Neale, if it wasn't Neale it was McCluggage, if it wasn't McCluggage it was Dunkley.

I think Horse thinks a balanced midfield means having a purely defensive player and a purely attacking player in the same stoppage, but what that really means is you're using two midfielders just to try and achieve the output of one midfielder. Which effectively means we're a man short at most contests. Dumb.
George Hewett ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back