Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Rightly or wrongly I always equate tackling to pressure, no tackles no pressure.
Rightly, IMO.

It's one of the most important parts of footy. It's the difference between a mid's clearing kick getting shanked & only going 20m sideways vs a mid getting a clear run to carry the ball 5-10m and then launching a kick 50m deep into his forward line. It's the difference between a handball chain coming unstuck before the third and final handball vs the third and final handball succeeding in getting it from the inside to the outside of the contest. It's the difference between a defender inside 50 having the opportunity to time and think through his exit kick from defence vs a defender having to throw it on the boot hurriedly and turning it over for a repeat entry for us.

All soooo crucial. Do these effectively and you can bully a team into submission. Do these effectively and you actually don't have to tackle as much because YOU will have the ball more and control possession. Wish our team would realise this if they are so keen to have a bruise-free day at the office.

Rightly, IMO.

It's one of the most important parts of footy. It's the difference between a mid's clearing kick getting shanked & only going 20m sideways vs a mid getting a clear run to carry the ball 5-10m and then launching a kick 50m deep into his forward line. It's the difference between a handball chain coming unstuck before the third and final handball vs the third and final handball succeeding in getting it from the inside to the outside of the contest. It's the difference between a defender inside 50 having the opportunity to time and think through his exit kick from defence vs a defender having to throw it on the boot hurriedly and turning it over for a repeat entry for us.

All soooo crucial. Do these effectively and you can bully a team into submission. Do these effectively and you actually don't have to tackle as much because YOU will have the ball more and control possession. Wish our team would realise this if they are so keen to have a bruise-free day at the office.
There are other things like smoothers that mean a lot , chasing the ball carrier so they know you won't give up etc

There are other things like smoothers that mean a lot , chasing the ball carrier so they know you won't give up etc
Of course. I think tackling is obviously most important because it can most directly lead to turnovers, but everything under the pressure umbrella matters and counts towards making the opposition feel the heat.

I love a good smother but it is unfortunately rare to see in this current group as it requires putting your head over it.

That is not the Swans way. Degrading your team from the sideline. If you want to do that then give up your membership and announce you won't support the team anymore.

That way you are free to express your opinion knowing you are not a true supporter.
I’m a member and a supporter and I’ll express my opinion any way I damn well please.

Of course. I think tackling is obviously most important because it can most directly lead to turnovers, but everything under the pressure umbrella matters and counts towards making the opposition feel the heat.

I love a good smother but it is unfortunately rare to see in this current group as it requires putting your head over it.

Your post had me humming along to Rhianna's "Umbrella", but suddenly I had to switch it over to Power Station's "Some Like It Hot".

Funnily enough, the final sentence the had me pondering Bananarama .... "Cruel Smother".

Either way - caesar88 is the first artist to successfully merge Bigfooty posting with DJing.

I still can't understand how we made the GF.

We were 12th for total clearances for the season (Brisbane were 1st).

Our fwd line is awful. Our backline awful.

I think we will fall out of the 8 next year.

This group is all about bruise free footy and corporate culture.

Granny wasn't a "one off bad game".

More so it was a fluke we made it.
- Set ourselves up with a blistering first half of the season campaign to lock in first. Were able to crawl over the line against the GWS who were arguably better on the day. Then knocked off a fatigued Port with no Houston.

- We were actually a top 6 side in clearances, were top 4 in the first 12 weeks or so.

- There's pros and cons to our forward line no doubt. We can manufacture big scores and we always get a high amount of individual goal scorers. Also being one of the best pressure sides in the forward 50. Shame that didn't arrive on GF day. There's alot more limelight shined on the deficiencies of our three tall setup no given the result. Bottom 4 for contested and intercept marks is a concern. When we couldn't win aerial contests especially forward of the ball we struggled. I thought our defence was pretty sound all year. One of the best sides of restricting goals per inside 50 conceded. Melican was fantastic this season. Cunningham played a role, we generated alot of score and drive off our rebound too. The defence was shocking against the Lions no doubt, they picked apart our zone defence in their build up and were left stranded. So many marks inside 50 too, couldn't bring the ball down to ground to save our lives.

- Thats a fair point regarding we could miss finals. Comp was so even this year and maybe we have a bit of a lull. But when looking at the list and players we have its highly talented. I'm sure we will be around the mark to at least contend for the 8. The big thing for next year is we need to fix these slow starts.

- Bruise free footy was one of the weaknesses this year especially in the back half of the year. When the going got tough we struggled. But when sides were coughing up easy ball and didn't want to defend etc. we'd surge to victory off our ball movement and turnover game. It's a shame to be saying that though because our first half of the year was outstanding in terms of mental toughness and contested footy. Always kept our heads in the game and the self belief drove us to wins. It seemed to fade away as the year went on.

Your post had me humming along to Rhianna's "Umbrella", but suddenly I had to switch it over to Power Station's "Some Like It Hot".

Funnily enough, the final sentence the had me pondering Bananarama .... "Cruel Smother".

Either way - caesar88 is the first artist to successfully merge Bigfooty posting with DJing.
Hey, if nothing else, Umbrella is a great song. It's one of Rihanna's best songs. It's usually my answer when she and I are cuddled up on the couch and she asks me what my favourite song of hers is. That is, when I don't lean over and gently whisper in her ear, "Can we talk about this later darl, Jake Lloyd just kicked a running goal."

- Set ourselves up with a blistering first half of the season campaign to lock in first. Were able to crawl over the line against the GWS who were arguably better on the day. Then knocked off a fatigued Port with no Houston.

- We were actually a top 6 side in clearances, were top 4 in the first 12 weeks or so.

- There's pros and cons to our forward line no doubt. We can manufacture big scores and we always get a high amount of individual goal scorers. Also being one of the best pressure sides in the forward 50. Shame that didn't arrive on GF day. There's alot more limelight shined on the deficiencies of our three tall setup no given the result. Bottom 4 for contested and intercept marks is a concern. When we couldn't win aerial contests especially forward of the ball we struggled. I thought our defence was pretty sound all year. One of the best sides of restricting goals per inside 50 conceded. Melican was fantastic this season. Cunningham played a role, we generated alot of score and drive off our rebound too. The defence was shocking against the Lions no doubt, they picked apart our zone defence in their build up and were left stranded. So many marks inside 50 too, couldn't bring the ball down to ground to save our lives.

- Thats a fair point regarding we could miss finals. Comp was so even this year and maybe we have a bit of a lull. But when looking at the list and players we have its highly talented. I'm sure we will be around the mark to at least contend for the 8. The big thing for next year is we need to fix these slow starts.

- Bruise free footy was one of the weaknesses this year especially in the back half of the year. When the going got tough we struggled. But when sides were coughing up easy ball and didn't want to defend etc. we'd surge to victory off our ball movement and turnover game. It's a shame to be saying that though because our first half of the year was outstanding in terms of mental toughness and contested footy. Always kept our heads in the game and the self belief drove us to wins. It seemed to fade away as the year went on.
My observation was that at half time in the GWS game (Rd8?) our intensity fell away and we never fully got it back. Came and went a bit but never regained control of it. Did enough to win the next 6 games but IMO were not as convincing as we had been. Then started to lose.
2023 and 2024 both we were carried across our last few games by a few players rather than the majority. Arguably 2022 as well.
This is definitely not a new phenomenon. Until it's sorted we will struggle at the business end. It's got to be mental/emotional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back