Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe the Keays for Rankine rumour, but it does raise the question, what is Ben's current trade value?

2nd in the BnF, averaged over 28 disposals, 5.5 clearances and 6 tackles/game. And kicked 12 goals from the midfield (4 times more then Sloane and Laird).

Still a turnover machine (ranked #1 in the AFL), but for a guy who we literally picked up off the scrap heap, he would certainly have some worth now if he wanted to head back to QLD at some point.

I don't believe the Keays for Rankine rumour, but it does raise the question, what is Ben's current trade value?

2nd in the BnF, averaged over 28 disposals, 5.5 clearances and 6 tackles/game. And kicked 12 goals from the midfield (4 times more then Sloane and Laird).

Still a turnover machine (ranked #1 in the AFL), but for a guy who we literally picked up off the scrap heap, he would certainly have some worth now if he wanted to head back to QLD at some point.
If you were buying him now and assuming he was a need, if you had to pay a pick in the 20’s then you wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

I don't see why 625k a year for Matt would be so bad as this would only take him to 30 at the end of his contract.

Think this board has forgotten what he can bring to the table.

Biggest issue we have is getting him back to being an inside mid who find the ball himself rather than sitting outside and doing minimal with it. Still a very good player in there and don't see us bring in a strong midfielder if we do let him go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If rumours of a 2 year contract on insulting money are true, I think this board is largely on the same page as the club and its you that forgeting his significant limitations as a footballer and not understanding the relative "sameness" of our midfield group.

You also have a coach who demands strong defensive efforts and wants to inject more pace, so it would be no surprise that we'd prefer to back in Laird and Keays as his experienced inside mids, rather than the relatively slower and poorer defensively Crouch.

Don't get me wrong, Matt is a good midfielder, but our midfield will not develop or improve if Laird, Sloane, Crouch and Keays all remain embeded as significant players in the rotations.

You'd hope Schoenberg becomes an almost full time midfielder next year, then you have Pedlar and Berry also hopefully rotating through, plus ideally our first rounder from this years draft.

I don't see why 625k a year for Matt would be so bad as this would only take him to 30 at the end of his contract.

Think this board has forgotten what he can bring to the table.

Biggest issue we have is getting him back to being an inside mid who find the ball himself rather than sitting outside and doing minimal with it. Still a very good player in there and don't see us bring in a strong midfielder if we do let him go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The problem is you're not thinking in the context of a rebuild. If we're looking at contending for finals/premierships in the next four years, you sign Matt Crouch at that contract without a second thought. You are, effectively, committed to him at that point, and he offers a fair bit of value to a team in that situation by being able to strengthen the lower-to-middle part of a teams midfield rotation if you don't overpay him.

In the middle of a deep rebuild, and in our situation, you need to be running away as fast as possible if Matt wants a long term deal. Why?

Point 1: We've resigned Rory Laird to 5 more years, which covers our need for experienced midfielders. Laird is also a better contested player than Matt, with his 2021 outperforming everything Matt has done in that regard. Laird also has some flexibility to his game, seeing we can push him back to defence when he's surplus to requirements in our midfield.
Point 2: Matt has no flexibility whatsoever in his game. If he plays in the next four years, he takes up a midfield spot. A position in desperate need of an overhaul at this club. He also will play every game he's fit for, because in the coaches eyes, he'll be better than a Berry/Pedlar.
Point 3: Matt offers no point of difference to our midfield group at this point in time. Whilst he's good at what he does, he is just another vanilla ball winner.

There is little value in what Matt offers to us at this point, seeing all he will do is get in the way of us transitioning our prospects to the midfield (a process our rebuild hinges on) and doesn't offer something unique to offset it. That said, 2 years is ok, purely because it should lower the urgency in pushing Pedlar into our midfield rotation, which considering his durability issues, should allow more time for his body to strengthen to the rigours of AFL life. That said, we'd have to be moving on after that expires.

Not a whole lot to get excited about nicksy

Gollant and Parnell are more than enough to get excited about in that list.

Given that "2nd leading goalkicker" only managed 25 goals, I'd suggest the issue wouldn't be losing McAdam, it's about finding some genuine forwards.
Hes a genuine forward.

The guy has all the tricks in the book, it's about finding the workrate and ability to stay in the game when things aren't going your way.

Would be a big shame to lose him.

Hmm positive news to some is negative news to others.

In the context of a long-term aim of building a premiership team , IMO a re-signing of Crouch & Kelly would be very negative news.
I am not adverse to keeping Crouch. Would rather he go, and we get a second/third round draft pick. But him staying is a good worse case scenario.

But if Kelly stays, disappointed.

Especially with Hinge and Worrell in that depth chart.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

There’s no way I’d be trading Keays. I think he’s a bit underrated around here as just being a workhorse and nothing more.

It will always be a need to have a hard working 2 way midfielder, especially one with a bit of pace. He’s also kicked 12 goals this year, significantly more than our other midfielders Laird and Sloane, and the same amount as Seedsman.

I’d be planning to have him in the midfield rotations for the next 5 years

Hes a genuine forward.

The guy has all the tricks in the book, it's about finding the workrate and ability to stay in the game when things aren't going your way.

Would be a big shame to lose him.
27 next year.

If work rate is an issue now, and it is, that is not changing.

Would rather Gollant play that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t want this to sound harsh or insensitive as that’s not my intention, but what does it matter?

since when are Football Clubs responsible for social matters?

If the Department for Education are not willing to add that stuff to the curriculum in schools, why should a football club be responsible for having a program like this.

Does the Adelaide Football Club have a club Chaplin or a religious program?
No Discussion Rule...

27 next year.

Yeah exactly, 27 next May, has now spent 3 years on our list and there's still significant concerns over workrate/application. No one doubts his talent, but ultimately there's other players we could be investing games into.

27 next year.

With Lynch gone there's room for both.

This. Sloane’s days in the midfield are over. Play Laird, Crouch and Keays (as an interim until the replaced by Schoeey, Pedlar and whoever we draft this year) Sloane in the half forward line extends his career and makes us better up forward, while allowing for growth..
Crouch is being traded.

Could be McAdam's position if he had the work rate.

Imagine McAdam pushing up the ground a bit with his footskills and marking ability.

The word is that Freo are interested in McAdam. He's from WA so it makes sense that he would head back there at some point. Perhaps a new club may bring out the best in him.

I think they will play Gollant, Sloane up forward with Berry switching between forward and mid. I could see us going after Rankine as well if GC are condusive to a trade.

Last edited:
The word is that Freo are interested in McAdam. He's from WA so it makes sense that he would head back there at some point. Perhaps a new club may bring out the best in him.

I think they will play Gollant, Sloane up forward with Berry switching between forward and mid. I could see us going after Rankine as well if GC are condusive to a trade.
What is the source to this rumour?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s no way I’d be trading Keays. I think he’s a bit underrated around here as just being a workhorse and nothing more.

It will always be a need to have a hard working 2 way midfielder, especially one with a bit of pace. He’s also kicked 12 goals this year, significantly more than our other midfielders Laird and Sloane, and the same amount as Seedsman.

I’d be planning to have him in the midfield rotations for the next 5 years
100% agree

IMO there is no way Nicks will trade Keays

Nicks often uses Keays as the example of the trademark that he is trying to build in the team, around work rate, effort, team first, and embracing the contest

There us no chance in hell that Nicks will trade Keays

100% agree

IMO there is no way Nicks will trade Keays

Nicks often uses Keays as the example of the trademark that he is trying to build in the team, around work rate, effort, team first, and embracing the contest

There us no chance in hell that Nicks will trade Keays

Currently our second best mid.

Going forward my hope is that he is 4th/5th best mid by the end of 2023.

The kind of guy who deepens a great midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back