Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halfway point I see us doing:

Delist:

Jason Ashby
Shaun Edwards
Patrick Ambrose
Nick Kommer
Will Hams
James Gwilt
Shaun McKernan

Retire:

Courtenay Dempsey (maybe)
Tayte Pears
Adam Cooney

Trade in:

Dion Prestia + (current) pick 8 for pick 1.
Ben Howlett for (current) pick 30 (West Coast)

Upgrade:

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Leaves us with 7-9 list spots for the senior list and 1-3 rookie spots (not including Category B rookies). What I'd want from those spots are:

2x inside mid, one big bodied
2x outside mid, one mature aged
2x KPD, one mature aged, other project
1x KPF, young
2x ruck, one forward/ruck, other depth mature-aged player
1x small/medium defender

So I'd draft something like:

Pick 8: Todd Marshall (KPF)
Pick 19: Jordan Gallucci
Pick 30: Dylan Clarke
Pick 37: Darcy Cameron
Pick 55: Ozgar Uysal
Pick 73: James Ferry
Pick 91: Matthew Dea

Rookie draft:

Pick 1: Project KPD
Pick 19: mature aged outside mid
Pick 37: mature aged depth ruck

Of course if we can get the mature agers through DFA I'd do that instead.
On reflection I'm going to not retire Dempsey and drop an outside mid from the list. And the Howlett for 30 is rubbish, trade him for 48 (WC).

Pick 8: Todd Marshall
Pick 37: Willem Drew
Pick 48: Darcy Cameron
Pick 55: Matthew Dea
Pick 73: Ozgar Uysal

Rookies:

Pick 1: James Ferry
Pick 19: Reserve ruck (Michael maybe)
Pick 37: project KPD

Best 22:

FB: M Baguley - M Hartley - C Hooker
HB: A McDonald-Tipungwuti - M Hurley - M Hibberd
MF: J Laverde - J Watson - Z Merrett
HF: K Langford - J Daniher - M Brown
FF: O Fantasia - T Bellchambers - T Colyer
OB: M Leuenberger - D Heppell - D Prestia
IC: D Myers - D Parish - B Goddard - D Zaharakis

Reserves:

FB: A Morgan - KPD - M Dea
HB: C Dempsey - J Ferry - A Francis
MF: J Gallucci - C Bird - M Gleeson
HF: C McKenna - D Cameron - J Long
FF: Y Eades - T Marshall - S Michael
OB: G Nyuon - B Stanton - H Hocking
IC: W Drew - J Merrett - M Redman - O Uysal - T Wallis

That midfield depth. I really struggled with which pair of Hocking, Myers, Stanton and Goddard would be in the reserves

Last edited:
Todd Marshall lasting to pick 8?

Try again Ethan
That order we could see:

Gold Coast
Brisbane
Fremantle
Gold Coast
Richmond
GWS
St. Kilda
Essendon

With the second GC and the GWS likely to be used on Academy. Freo will likely go SPS, Richmond aren't after a KPF and St. Kilda have their forward line set.

When quality is available, you take it
Most of the time yes, but when there are more pressing needs you fill those first.

Most of the time yes, but when there are more pressing needs you fill those first.

Like Fremantle needing a key forward more than another midfielder?

They have an abundance of young mids just starting. A
Needs, Taberner haven't amounted to much just yet and whilst Marshall looks good, he could perfectly compliment them as a Ruck/Fwd perhaps.

Like Fremantle needing a key forward more than another midfielder?

They have an abundance of young mids just starting. A
Needs, Taberner haven't amounted to much just yet and whilst Marshall looks good, he could perfectly compliment them as a Ruck/Fwd perhaps.
They need a lot of things. Apeness is finally kicking on and MT kicked 5 last night, looks like he's finally becoming that 30-40 goal forward. Can seriously see them going SPS

If Marshall isn't the best player in the draft pool I don't want him. Hooker can go forward for a year with TBC to help Joey. In 2017 draft I think it's a more Tall draft. Heard there's a guy for Dandenong who plays like Tom Lynch who we could go for next yr.

If Marshall isn't the best player in the draft pool I don't want him. Hooker can go forward for a year with TBC to help Joey. In 2017 draft I think it's a more Tall draft. Heard there's a guy for Dandenong who plays like Tom Lynch who we could go for next yr.
We have 4 KPP's under the age of 25. That's including Ambrose, who could be cut at the end of the year

On reflection I'm going to not retire Dempsey and drop an outside mid from the list. And the Howlett for 30 is rubbish, trade him for 48 (WC).

Pick 8: Todd Marshall
Pick 37: Willem Drew
Pick 48: Darcy Cameron
Pick 55: Matthew Dea
Pick 73: Ozgar Uysal

Rookies:

Pick 1: James Ferry
Pick 19: Reserve ruck (Michael maybe)
Pick 37: project KPD

Best 22:

FB: M Baguley - M Hartley - C Hooker
HB: A McDonald-Tipungwuti - M Hurley - M Hibberd
MF: J Laverde - J Watson - Z Merrett
HF: K Langford - J Daniher - M Brown
FF: O Fantasia - T Bellchambers - T Colyer
OB: M Leuenberger - D Heppell - D Prestia
IC: D Myers - D Parish - B Goddard - D Zaharakis

Reserves:

FB: A Morgan - KPD - M Dea
HB: C Dempsey - J Ferry - A Francis
MF: J Gallucci - C Bird - M Gleeson
HF: C McKenna - D Cameron - J Long
FF: Y Eades - T Marshall - S Michael
OB: G Nyuon - B Stanton - H Hocking
IC: W Drew - J Merrett - M Redman - O Uysal - T Wallis

That midfield depth. I really struggled with which pair of Hocking, Myers, Stanton and Goddard would be in the reserves

Want to really break this down and have a few questions;

1) Todd Marshall won't last to pick 8. It's a pipe dream to think so.
2 What does Oz Uysal bring to the AFL? As a mature National Draftee he'd want to be pressing from round 1 next year which he probably won't be. Would look to youth for the most part.
3) Dont understand the love for James Ferry. Yeah, he has AFL attributes but so does Pat Ambrose. Will it translate to AFL? I haven't seen 'IT' that you or BrunoV or Jack Package have seen.
4) Would like a project key forward on top of Marshall. If they don't work out, send them back.

5) do like the Cameron call. Would be a brilliant pick up for two years and see what he has. Could double for that reserve ruck role as well.

If I was left with similar draft picks, would look like;

1) Todd Marshall
19) Daniel Venables/Jonty Scharenberg
37) Jeremy Goddard
48) Oscar Junker
55) Matt Dea
73) Mason DeWit

Rookie selections

(No player specifics but a KPP, a ball winner, and a runner)

The most important position on the ground is probably midfield and if there are no key forwards that are good enough for pick 1 I'd be happy to get a goal scoring midfielder in McCluggage and delay the signing of a key forward for a year as we have hooker and TBC coming back.

What if you make it 26 and under?
Are we including Grimley and Michael? If not, 8 (with Bellchambers turning 27 in 4 weeks and Pears likely to join the fire brigade)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we including Grimley and Michael? If not, 8 (with Bellchambers turning 27 in 4 weeks and Pears likely to join the fire brigade)
Plus we have Hooker for another 4 to 5 years minimum?

Maybe talls aren't that pressing.

Plus we have Hooker for another 4 to 5 years minimum?

Maybe talls aren't that pressing.
So basically because we have 10 KPP's on the list currently, two of which are very distinct possibilities of not being on the list next year, KPP's aren't a priority? What a poor post.

So basically because we have 10 KPP's on the list currently, two of which are very distinct possibilities of not being on the list next year, KPP's aren't a priority? What a poor post.
Lol. Ethan there's a reason you picked 25 as your arbitrary line.

List the 10 for me.

Lol. Ethan there's a reason you picked 25 as your arbitrary line.

List the 10 for me.
The reason is because that's the average age of the AFL.

Tom Bellchambers, Joe Daniher, Tayte Pears, Michael Hurley, Matthew Leuenberger, Cale Hooker, Mitch Brown, Patrick Ambrose, Michael Hartley, Gach Nyuon, James Gwilt, Shaun McKernan.

That's 12, sorry. Somehow forgot about the last two. Of that list, Ambrose, Pears, Gwilt and McKernan could all be off the list at the end of the year. Need KPP's badly.

Tom Bellchambers, Joe Daniher, Tayte Pears, Michael Hurley, Matthew Leuenberger, Cale Hooker, Mitch Brown, Patrick Ambrose, Michael Hartley, Gach Nyuon, James Gwilt, Shaun McKernan.

That's 12, sorry. Somehow forgot about the last two. Of that list, Ambrose, Pears, Gwilt and McKernan could all be off the list at the end of the year. Need KPP's badly.
How long does it take to develop a KPP? When do they (generally/on average) hit their prime?

How long does it take to develop a KPP? When do they (generally/on average) hit their prime?
Barring the freaks like Buddy and Cameron, around the 25 mark.

Lol.

Pears is gone.

Get over your Ambrose fetish he'll be around. Gwilt or Smack probably gone.

That's 10. At one time 6 or 7 can play, so we have enough plus depth.

Lol.

Pears is gone.

Get over your Ambrose fetish he'll be around. Gwilt or Smack probably gone.

That's 10. At one time 6 or 7 can play, so we have enough plus depth.
The fact you think Ambrose is no chance of being delisted says a lot.

Barring the freaks like Buddy and Cameron, around the 25 mark.
Tall forwards are definitely a need but what's the point if there will be 5 midfielders that will be better then Marshall? No point using such a valuable pick on a need. Just go best player. TBC and Hooker r suitable foils for Joey next year. Then we could possibly do Hurley, Hartley and Brown as KPD next yr. in 2017 draft recruit key forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back