B: Pettigrew - Carlile - Surjan

HB: Krakouer - Chaplin - Salopek

C: Cassisi - K.Cornes - Boak

HF: Rodan - Tredrea - Gray

F: Ebert - J.Westhoff - D. Motlop

RUCKS: Brogan - C.Cornes - S.Burgoyne

INTERCHANGE: Lade - Thompson - Logan - Pearce

EMERGENCIES: Carr - P.Burgoyne - Salter - Davenport

Injured: Thurstans - Stewart - Trengove - Banner - +?

I can't see why some people are putting Peter Burgoyne on the emergency list. Yes he had a shit year last year but when he ran through the midfield in the last couple of games we saw what he could do. His run and carry is vital when used in a position where the occasional turnover won't hurt him (i.e. running off a wing or in the guts) and from what I've seen of him he has classy disposal. I'm a fair newbie so if there's something I've missed about Peter please let me know. Cheers

I can't see why some people are putting Peter Burgoyne on the emergency list. .....
Only two people so far have named him as an emergency but given the form of a lot of players that weren't in our best 22 last season someone has to miss out.

I reckon there is a very good chance we will be top of the ladder after round 1.

I wouldn't get too carried away Bombers are great starters, back in 06 we had a comfortable win over sydney in rd1

Lets not forgot Sydney were premiers in 05 and where did port finish in 08....i wonder:rolleyes:

Anyway should be a pretty close and good game.

... and where did port finish in 08....i wonder:rolleyes:

Yeah but if you look past raw ladder position we won 7 games and lost a further 7 by 2 goals or less - and that doesn't include the matches against Hawthorn and Brisbane where we were at least 6 goals up at one stage.

Assuming good conditions and something approaching a full compliment, I'd be disappointed with anything less than an 8 goal win to be honest.

Good luck though.

Yeah, we won't thrash them. Trust me, we'll have at least one quarter where there are flahses back to the horror fadeouts of 2008. But we're the better team and should win.

If we are as good as the club says we are, we should win by 10+ goals. If essendon manage a win (which is in the realm of possibility) there'll be plenty of questions...

We started 2004 with a merciless display against the Bombers and never looked back. I may be wrong about that year, but I seem to recall us getting bundled out of the NAB cup early against Geelong in that year too ?playing in Cairns, I think.

A good result against the Bombers might be an omen then. Can only hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uh, which board am I on? Supporters practically locking in 8-10 goal wins? You guys aware you finished bottom 4 last season? I reckon there's less arrogance on the Hawthorn board.

We also finished 2nd the year before.

You cant take anything from our ladder position because we are far better than 13th spot.

You will see come round 1 when we beat you quite convincingly why we are being underrated by people who use last years position as a point of reference

Really? Where's the logical explanation as to why such a good team had such a shit season? We finished above you and had more bad luck than all 15 other clubs combined.

7 losses by two goals or less and that doesn't include the defeats to Hawthorn (15 points) and Brisbane (20 points) where we were at least 6 goals up at one stage.

An unheard of 3-8 record at home - most non-Victorian clubs usually manage at least 5 or 6 home wins even during dire years.

But that was then this is now. If you still have doubts they'll be answered by 6 o'clock local time Sunday-week.

Uh, which board am I on? Supporters practically locking in 8-10 goal wins? You guys aware you finished bottom 4 last season?

We finished above you and had more bad luck than all 15 other clubs combined.

And despite this, we still handed your arse to you by the tune of 10 goals, at your home ground.

7 losses by two goals or less and that doesn't include the defeats to Hawthorn (15 points) and Brisbane (20 points) where we were at least 6 goals up at one stage.

In '06 we lost 10 matches by 3 goals or less. That didn't change the fact that we were shit, just like we were the year after.

Freo lost plenty of close matches last year. You predicting them to surge up the ladder as well?

And despite this, we still handed your arse to you by the tune of 10 goals, at your home ground.

Our team was decimated that day. It was probably the weakest team we put on the park all year (bar the R22 match against St Kilda).

For the record "Timeisrunningout"

You conviently didn't make any comment about the fact we finished 2nd in 2007. 2008 was a blip on the radar for us and will be rectified with at the very least a top 8 spot this year.

FYI it isn't only our supporters that are rating us: (FROM THE QUESTIONNAIRE ANSWERED BY ALL 16 CAPTAINS)
Which seven other clubs do you think can make this year's top eight? (16 times seven selections)
Carlton (15), Geelong Cats (15), Hawthorn (15), Western Bulldogs (14), Collingwood (12), Port Adelaide (10), St Kilda (nine), Adelaide (six), Brisbane Lions (four), Richmond (four), North Melbourne (three), Sydney Swans (three), Essendon (one), Fremantle (one), Melbourne (nil), West Coast Eagles (nil).

Interesting to see Port are rated 6th and Essendon in the bottom 4.

Hmmmmm, maybe everyone is just delusional apart from you? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Team for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back