News Teams RD 7:- Fremantle v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know how Cloke survived ahead of Setanta? Cloke has been pretty average for a couple of weeks in my opinion and I thought Setanta was better for us last week. I can only think he is being given a bit more time to find form.

We're hurting with the loss of Jacobs. Setanta was brought in to provide additional support to Kreuzer but obviously hasn't been doing enough. Hence the inclusion of Hampson. Looking back to 2008, Cloke did the grunt work in the middle. A year on, Kreuzer and Hampson are bigger and stronger but... So I think there's a bit of loyalty for seeing us through the tough times and the hope his form lapse is temporary.

I think Setanta has always been on his last chance to cement a place this season, notwithstanding the infamous incident. Promoting both Austin and Hampson in the same week sends a clear signal of changing of the guard, even if we appear top-heavy.

VERY happy to see Hadley back in place of Bentley. The MC got that wrong last week - no question about it.

Surprised at Houlihan being dropped. Maybe a case of failing to do something he was asked to do last week.

Pumped about Yarran.

Fingers crossed about Hammer and big Steve.

VERY angry at fox and 10.

Liked the changes but dropping Houlihan is a bit over the top. He would have been better off at CHF than Cloke. Cloke's position should be up forward as he isn't needed in the ruck.

VERY happy to see Hadley back in place of Bentley. The MC got that wrong last week - no question about it.

Surprised at Houlihan being dropped. Maybe a case of failing to do something he was asked to do last week.

Pumped about Yarran.

Fingers crossed about Hammer and big Steve.

VERY angry at fox and 10.

Yeah this is bullsh@T,why do i pay these idiots,not fair.:thumbsdown:

Austin- Think that's the right decision thought one could argue, Robbo's non inclusion
Hammer- needed to come in, was tearing it apart in the VFL but can't say I agree who he replaced.
Yarran- You Beauty!
Hadley- Obviously

Carrots- when I first heard he was out got pretty bloody pissed, but now know it's a hamstring hope it's only minor and he's back soon.
Bents- Kid needs to go back to the VFL and get the things he lacked on the weekend right.
Carlos- Hmmmm
Houlihan- See above

If Cloke isn't going to play ruck what's the use of him being immobile in the forward line. If he wants to stay then he has to be able to take marks and kick goals, Need 2 goals from him.

The logic of Cloke surviving and Houla going based on last week's performance is perplexing.

The MC has been confusing me all year with their selections.

Excited to see Yarran, but is he ready?

Hadley rightfully returns.

I'm guessing here but I reckon they might have had Yarran pencilled in for this game right at the start of the season.

Perfect time to introduce him to the AFL against a heap of players he's played with and against over the last couple of seasons at WAFL level.

Seeing guys out there he has competed against and beaten in the past should ease the stress and give him confidence to back himself on the day.

Good timing

I'm guessing here but I reckon they might have had Yarran pencilled in for this game right at the start of the season.

Perfect time to introduce him to the AFL against a heap of players he's played with and against over the last couple of seasons at WAFL level.

Seeing guys out there he has competed against and beaten in the past should ease the stress and give him confidence to back himself on the day.

Good timing

If getting a game at the mighty Blues is as easy as that, then we're in trouble.

Love it :thumbsu:

I was very scared Bentley wouldn't be dropped TBH, but very happy to see he was and Hadley back in for him. I love all 4 inclusions, but would have marginally preferred Cloke out over O'hAilpin. I just think Cloke will have no real affect against Sandilands and doesn't look potent enough for me to be kept in purely as a foward, where O'hAilpin can pich hit in 3 areas, the backline, ruck and forward.

I really hope Austin gets a good go, hopefully in the forward line. Him Kreuzer and Cloke to support Fev as tall targets.
Also, I hope Hampson gets a good go against Sandilands, and can try and use his leap to jump over him when he can.

Houlihan is interesting, but not overly surprising. He looked too loconic on the weekend, which I know is his style but he looked a bit of place to me and the VFL should be a good kick up the backside and a reminder for everyone to earn their spots.

EDIT: Just realised guys, that this is my 1000th post. Very proud to reach this milestone!

I'd love to hear the reason(s) for Houlihan's omission, it would stagger me that it would be because of last weeks game. There is not a lot of confidence instilled in him if it was on the back of last weeks performance.

Exactly right.

How Houlihan get's the chop and Cloke survives is beyond me. I'm usually not one get angry or to judge the decisions made by the club but all i have to say is thats bullsh*t!!
Blah, blah, blah...

People said the same thing about dropping Hadley for the Dogs game.

Hampson will ruck with support from Kreuzer and Cloke.

Harvey will whinge about Carlton having a second man up again.

You have to love Ratten's dig about Cloke standing on Kreuzer's shoulders to combat Sandilands. :cool:

You have to pick a side for your opponents as well.

Freo are a tall side with Pavlich, Johnson, Tarrant, McPharlin, Thornton, Mundy and Murphy selected.

Hadley was a good selection with that sniper Solomon playing.

Houlihan would tip toe around Solomon and wouldn't say boo if he took a shot..

Will Stevens get Suban?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Happy Jan ...

I know I called for the MC and Ratten to make a few changes after last week's loss, I'm a bit dissapointed in all honesty, esp more so for the fact that O'Hailpin has been dropped. Carlos was far from our worst last week, and he was pretty darn good the week before against Footscray ..
I think as well the 'idea' of going in too 'top heavy' against Freo is a risk, the Dogs haven't got exactly a side loaded with tall timber, but yet they smashed the Dockers through speed and dash through the midfield.
I'm happy Hadley's back, but I wouldn't have dropped Houlihan, the jury is still out on Hampson, and I am not sure if Yarran is ready for AFl footy (certainly I'm not expecting big things from his first game)
And I'm dissapointed that Browne once again isn't in the squad ...
Still I won't complain if we get the four pts on saturday night, but I'm still feeling a bit gutted for Carlos (and I realise I'm one of his very few supporters on this board)

If getting a game at the mighty Blues is as easy as that, then we're in trouble.

I reckon he could be right - how do you pick the kid after he didn't even play last week. I will be more than happy if he get 10 touches and kicks 1gl.

Not Happy Jan ...

I know I called for the MC and Ratten to make a few changes after last week's loss, I'm a bit dissapointed in all honesty, esp more so for the fact that O'Hailpin has been dropped. Carlos was far from our worst last week, and he was pretty darn good the week before against Footscray ..
I think as well the 'idea' of going in too 'top heavy' against Freo is a risk, the Dogs haven't got exactly a side loaded with tall timber, but yet they smashed the Dockers through speed and dash through the midfield.
I'm happy Hadley's back, but I wouldn't have dropped Houlihan, the jury is still out on Hampson, and I am not sure if Yarran is ready for AFl footy (certainly I'm not expecting big things from his first game)
And I'm dissapointed that Browne once again isn't in the squad ...
Still I won't complain if we get the four pts on saturday night, but I'm still feeling a bit gutted for Carlos (and I realise I'm one of his very few supporters on this board)

I am worried too. I don't hold to 30yrs MC is infallible theory (spent too many years on one, a lesser one of course :D) even though he is right that we do not have all the info that they do.
I think the MC have been all over the shop this year
As for this week we have brought in 3! unprovens in one week
Dropped one of our hard nuts but thankfully brought in one of our few others - how Hadley was dropped I will never know

If Cloke is not able to kick 2 goals (rare for him) we may as well have left Carlos in
Give me Banno and Browne and make Hammo our one (is enuf) experiment.
Austin can have his turn next week and Yarran when he earns it
:rolleyes:

I wonder if the MC appear all over the place because they know we will be top 4 for the next 10 years and challenging for the cup in 3, and they want to see which of the periphery players we will take with us ;):)

Like the ins, the whole yazza thing sends my most important organs purple.

Couple of the outs are surprising,
thought Irish would have stayed to bash and crash,
Houlihan isn't even an emergency, so it sends bells ringing.

But the good thing, is that we are keeping the back 6 together,
which is where you build your team.

Bad Move,we taking Freo lightly,wouldn't surprise me if they win,they on a bit of high. Sandilands will kill Hampson in the Ruck,Yarran isn't ready yet especially if he missed last week VFL game because of injury, i doubt he will do much. Mark Austin has done absolutely nothing in the AFL just yet only Hadley is a o.k. I think it's a bad move dumping Houilhan that can create several goals and kick a few goals especially against a outside of the 8 side that possibly none of those 4 will do.

They should be dropping him when they play a harder side like Geelong or St Kilda if they want to teach him a lesson,to go hard at it,not a game that we need to win.

I'm amazed Joey Anderson doesn't get a run after weeks and weeks of good performance as well as Steven Browne.

I'm not sure what all this talk about being too tall is? Have an actual look at the big men (not including Jammo and Fev who speak for themselves).

Waite and Bowyer - play more as rebounding HBFs, both quick and agile.

Kreuzer and Hammo - arguably the two most athletic ruckmen in the comp.

That leaves us with Cloke and Austin who might make us too *tall*. Against a side with as many big options as Freo, I don't think that's too bad, particularly given the athleticism of our other talls. I think it's a good balanced side, with plenty of options to combat the likes of Pav, McPharlin and Sandilands.

Also, it won't be a case of them all being on the field at the same time. I see Hammo, Austin, Cloke and, to a lesser extent, Kreuze spending fair bits of time on the bench as they rotate through the ruck and up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Teams RD 7:- Fremantle v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back