• Thilthorpe

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Brown

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • O'Brien

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be quite happy if we just move on and delist Hately at years end. There really isn't much there outside of a low damage accumulator.
30 disposals and 3 goals in a clear BOG performance a week or two ago was pretty damaging.

Losing kids who are caught between worlds is ironically a sign that your rebuild is going well. You've drafted and developed well enough that the kids who can't crack your lineup are becoming best 22 players in other list situations.

The thing with even a static best 22 is change still happens. Retirements, injuries, trading in new players, trade outs, a draftee booming, a player game just falling apart. There are only a handful of players on even the best teams who are irreplaceable. For most though, it's just about crossing that bridge when you get there and most you won't miss that much. Take the Doedee example, it's just a shrug of the shoulders if he goes.

Remember. A coach is there to win with the tools he has. A GM/list manager is there for the long term planning.

I reckon that last paragraph is why we’ve been mired in mediocrity for 2 decades and plumbed the froths we did. Coaches absolutely have a duty to long term planning. Putting the most likely to win/lose by least margin out there every week ie Nix and Pyke is what limits the ceiling of the list.

We really were never in the game. At no point did we confidently look like winning and the gameplan we rolled out was not conducive to a win.
Anytime we got close they had another gear to go to that'd let them kick a couple of goals and put the margin far enough away they could back off a bit. I don't think we ever really got them sweating.

I’ve said this in the past and gotten shot down.. with people claiming Roo has no say and does little more than chill in the background..

I think the opposite.. i reckon Roo is balls deep in everything and, given our “seniors first” selection policy didnt change after the big clean out that got rid of the guys you listed, has a massive say in selection week to week..

I don’t think Roo does have any input in selection. I think pretty much all coaches select in the same way as Nicks. For example - we have had arguably the best run with injuries this year, yet we have used as many players as most teams in the comp (majority are 30-32). A couple have used less and 5-6 have used more - predominantly injury driven. We sit at the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think there are 3 problems with selection this week.
The first is if Butts goes down with injury we are in trouble down back with Doedee and Hinge as our talls. Obviously selection is a gamble at times but this too much of a gamble. I hope the saints don't pull a late injury and King into the squad. I would have preferred we drop Sholl (problem 2) who was terrible defensively last week. Move Hinge to the wing in Sholl's spot and Worrell in for Hinge. If we need extra height down back during the game we move Hinge back to help out and move Soligo on the wing.
Problem 3. Fogarty. What happens if his knee breaks down in the game or he is impotent up forward regardless. We should have brought Gollant in and rested Fog.

I like Parnell into the team but why not drop Milera for him and bring Worrell in? Why is Sholl getting picked instead of bringing in a mid like Berry so we can rest Sloane or to allow us to use Crouch as the sub instead of starting 22.

I think we would have been better off with Worrell, Parnell, Berry, Gollant into the side.

Last edited:
Being out mark to often, our small s are not getting enough ground ball opportunities
Yep Fog and Tex both look sore and in need of a rest. Both are constantly playing from behind and getting out marked. Fog particularly is looking like he is struggling with an injury and seems to be getting very frustrated. He is a long way below the Fog we saw in the back half of last year.

RND-9-Instagram-Finalised-Lineup-1080x1350-.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Caminiti is the only KPF for the Saints to come in despite us going in with an undersized defence. Says a lot about how bad Zaine Cordy is.

If Murray wasnt concussed does he still play?

If so that makes a mockery of all the numpties saying its a strategic decision to play 1 KPD against the Saints
Nah it's a case of the club believing they're better off going small than playing one of an apparently 'underdone' Worrell, Keane or Borlase

Which is a load of crap, IMO. Can't teach height

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The No Changes Thread: Crows v Saints, Sun May 14th, 12:40pm

Back