Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The replacement of aging players that many of your supporters took exception to such comments last year, as to why you might not make finals this year?

I think you have a strong list of talented youth, good to see Treacy being backed in to play too

Like last year, still believe you have a slight weakness in KPD stocks, but tgat can be easily addressed

Our weakness in addressing speed is more difficult
395F55AD-0018-421C-AACD-094F3BA75461.jpeg
Got this guy learning the ropes from premiership key defender(who’s fit to go if needed) Joel Hamling

See, the thing is, every club has the same salary cap to spend, how each club spends that depends on the talent they have across the park

Some pay more to forwards, some to ruckmen, etc

Please, Fyfe hasn't played predominantly forward this year?
See, the thing is, every club has the same salary cap to spend, how each club spends that depends on the talent they have across the park

Some pay more to forwards, some to ruckmen, etc

Please, Fyfe hasn't played predominantly forward this year?
Hate to break it to ya but he’s been playing mid since returning from injury after round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always get sucked into thinking Carlton are going to win. I'm currently thinking they are going to paste Sydney this weekend. At the moment the whole is less than the sum of its parts but I feel like they could flick a switch and play unstoppable football any week now.

Good on Freo for opening up their forward half and finding more avenues to goal. As a result they now have a below average defence on PA, which was a massive strength last season.

Carlton currently experiencing the opposite.

Perhaps look a little deeper 🫢 you might see what’s actually going on even if you miss out on an “I told you so”.

But in the spirit of your posting

Matt “Cat B” Owies - 11 goals in 5 games
Nat “Millionaire” Fyfe - 1 goal in 4 games

Could go all day
So let me get this straight, your good mate Arrow has come on here saying Fyfe is playing predominantly forward and the most expensive per goal player in the league. Dockers supporters (you know, the guys that actually watch dockers games) have told him that Fyfe is playing mid this year.
With that point seemingly conceded and radio silence from Arrow, you have perked up to start talking about the dockers defence.
I am beginning to think you guys are just jokers.

Carlton still has plenty of time to turn it around, not just this season but even in the next few.

Also, who gives a **** how much any individual gets paid? You don't get premiership points for getting the best bang for buck, you get it for winning (and drawing) games.

Might as well argue the Pies aren't doing well this year because they are paying Treloar and Grundy to play for rivals.

Carlton still has plenty of time to turn it around, not just this season but even in the next few.

Also, who gives a **** how much any individual gets paid? You don't get premiership points for getting the best bang for buck, you get it for winning (and drawing) games.

Might as well argue the Pies aren't doing well this year because they are paying Treloar and Grundy to play for rivals.
I agree blues window will be open until the end of 2026.
Wages in general don’t matter and there’s always a few on big money some deserving some not
but when you have 5+ on big money you have to sign pittonet on a four year deal to keep him happy because there’s not enough in the kitty to give him a fair pay over 2 years

I agree blues window will be open until the end of 2026.
Wages in general don’t matter and there’s always a few on big money some deserving some not
but when you have 5+ on big money you have to sign pittonet on a four year deal to keep him happy because there’s not enough in the kitty to give him a fair pay over 2 years
I'm not big on making any assertions or judgements about salary caps because we don't have the data.

Outside of cases like the Pies, you're just guessing and that's not interesting to me.

So let me get this straight, your good mate Arrow has come on here saying Fyfe is playing predominantly forward and the most expensive per goal player in the league. Dockers supporters (you know, the guys that actually watch dockers games) have told him that Fyfe is playing mid this year.
With that point seemingly conceded and radio silence from Arrow, you have perked up to start talking about the dockers defence.
I am beginning to think you guys are just jokers.

It’s good to look at everything rather than cherry picking stats to suit a narrative. “Hur dur Harry $1m” doesn’t do it for me.

In improving their biggest weakness Freo have now lost what was one of their biggest strengths, and they look worse than last year. Like the Blues they need to find the right balance.

It’s good to look at everything rather than cherry picking stats to suit a narrative. “Hur dur Harry $1m” doesn’t do it for me.

In improving their biggest weakness Freo have now lost what was one of their biggest strengths, and they look worse than last year. Like the Blues they need to find the right balance.
You might have a point but to my eyes the defence has improved from early rounds along with the offence. It wasn’t like our defence was poor because we were playing attacking footy. Integrating new personnel into the team seemed to be the issue. We will learn more taking on Melbourne this week but I feel the balance has been good the last three weeks.

Don't necessarily agree here. Freo's biggest issue last year was initially converting i50s (indeed our first few games this season were the same), then later we started to get smashed out of the middle, which became a bigger issue and also saw our defence drop-off due to them being put under the pump.

We appear to have fixed that in the last few games and shored the middle up somewhat. We're also marking a lot better and converting our i50 (top 5 in comp I think) so are scoring more heavily on much fewer entries. This in turn has allowed our defence to become much more proactive and have easier balls to defend, therefore making them look like rolled gold again.

Carlton aren't a million miles off. You've got the contested grunt, but your forward movement is too heavily focussed on hitting Charlie and Harry (who is out of form), as such your entries are long bombs, which get turned over and result in your defence under pressure. It's a good unit, but can't withstand the onslaught. Weitering has also been off since his scam stuff came out, hopefully he puts it behind him.

Carlton are pretty similar to Freo. You're some held marks, increased pressure and forward line synergy away from being a dangerous side. Most of it is between the ears. Fix the turnovers and you'll be hard to beat.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps Freo should give this guy a go as they are below average in defence in 2023.

This is funny on so many levels
1. You cherry-picked a stat, then...
2. ...got your stat wrong, then...
3. ...stated 'it's good to look at everything rather than cherry picking a stat'

You've outdone yourself.

This is funny on so many levels
1. You cherry-picked a stat, then...
2. ...got your stat wrong, then...
3. ...stated 'it's good to look at everything rather than cherry picking a stat'

You've outdone yourself.

I think you’ll find I was cherry picking random stats to show how silly it is. FWIW the stat is right. Freo are below average in defence in 2023.

Two of your buddies found my post reasonable. It’s always you who gets in a twist 😂 that victim mentality.

I think you’ll find I was cherry picking random stats to show how silly it is. FWIW the stat is right. Freo are below average in defence in 2023.

Two of your buddies found my post reasonable. It’s always you who gets in a twist 😂 that victim mentality.
Once I discovered Search Engines, my life changed forever.

Now I can look up something on the internet, like the table below, and check if I'm not just making shit up.

It's so useful. Thanks Search Engines, you're the best.

1684917699050.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Back