Autopsy The sinners go down by 14 pts to the Halo polishers

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst watching a self destructive disposal nightmare at least I can look at that and think. A free flowing uninjured Blakey and Parker and Mills in the side we probably win that one and then we’re in top eight calculations.

Seasons gone but maybe a few hard decisions and movements and we’re right back in contention.

My biggest inclusion want is a player who can mark the footy contested or otherwise to the ability of Sam Reid. Good kick would be a bonus but the hands part a priority.

Just a few thoughts from me.

The injury situation is two fold. We have had a stinking run this year. The more injuries we have means we rely on too few for two long in matches. Hence the gassed look of our players as the game wears on. We just haven’t been able to manage minutes of our players.

Francis positions himself ok but he ends up too far under the ball too often when the ball arrives.

Melican isnt the smartest but gives everything he has. Errol is very smart and gives his all. Full respect for both.

Mcinnerney on the other hand… get back off the ****en mark quickly! And that floating type of drop punt… fmd.

And lastly Wil Hayward.. I’ve rated his efforts as ok this year trying to play an undersized Sam Reid role. I think its time for a spell.

I really don't want to make the finals. We'd just be making up the numbers.
Me neither. I think we’d kid ourselves we deserve to be there, get spanked in week 1, and not learn any important lessons.

I think we’re more likely to make finals next year- and make some inroads into them - if we miss this year.
Whole approach needs a reset and making finals would only allow us to kid ourselves we’re on the right track.

I think Buddy is not capable of turning shithouse delivery into something any more, If they actually deliver it effectively he is solid.

He should probably go so he isn't associated with the shit anymore though

Big part of why this season has been such a disaster is the short offseason and deep finals run last year I reckon.

Which isn't to say I hope we miss finals, it's always good to play more high stakes games against good opposition.

Me neither. I think we’d kid ourselves we deserve to be there, get spanked in week 1, and not learn any important lessons.

I think we’re more likely to make finals next year- and make some inroads into them - if we miss this year.
Whole approach needs a reset and making finals would only allow us to kid ourselves we’re on the right track.

They can play and get the ball and let's add Gulden in to that six and Stephens make it a 7.

Is anyone actually A grade? I know everyone is going to say Gulden and Warner are but not so sure

But i'm in a post game negative mood
I think we have the talent and Gulden and Warner I think are on their way to being A grade. I think the last few years have shown we have the talent. I know the GF was a disaster but we also got their because we have talent. Yes a lot of things went right last year, had minimal injuries etc but we still made the GF due to our talent imo. We beat the good teams too last year, showing we could match it with the better teams. You don't do that with no talent. The drop in form has to be mental. The team has no confidence.

Hayward having no impact on the game is getting tiring. He really needs to lift. Gary Rohan #2 without the injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have the talent and Gulden and Warner I think are on their way to being A grade. I think the last few years have shown we have the talent. I know the GF was a disaster but we also got their because we have talent. Yes a lot of things went right last year, had minimal injuries etc but we still made the GF due to our talent imo. We beat the good teams too last year, showing we could match it with the better teams. You don't do that with no talent. The drop in form has to be mental. The team has no confidence.

Oh not saying there's no talent

As you said performed last year .

Last year Mills Heeney All Australian, Papley was great, Parker Rampe Buddy Hickey all very good

None of those above have been near their last season, so that's the biggest drop off.

I just thought maybe some of these younger guys were elite and they just aren't , but obviously good players at least

edit- also Reid had his best year randomly and of course both Mccartins

Literally we beat everyone else around us bar Geelong who were on a 16 game winning streak. Beat the Pies and the Dees fair and square. Beat Freo in Perth which was pretty hard.

We still have the same players except for the McCartins and Reid. Even when Parker and Mills played we didnt look super hot. Its just been one collective drop off maybe due to age and well down on confidence after the tight losses.

I will get my head bitten off for this but oh well.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Sheldrick & Rowbottom waxing together all night on the inside. Felt like those two were giving us more supply from the contest than we've had all year. They were clean, found the free Swan, and didn't try to do too much.

As I've been saying for a long time, our handball chains are garbage and basically non-existent, so things fell apart too often in the post-clearance stuff. But those two did their jobs to a tee.

I don't really know how else to say it without maybe tattooing it on my forehead: Until we improve our handball chains we will never win a flag. I can only continue to hope that Horse & co address it.
Not from me. I thought both were good.
We try to kick at every opportunity, and the dinky kick sets up the hospital for the receiver. When we hand pass eg against Carlton, all the bandpasses were high lobs. Then today we get a handpass chain with flat straight bandpasses out of trouble but the last is a flat one way in front of the receiver, not the lob to run on to the player with time and space so it goes out of bounds.
So many times we were dumb, dumb, dumb.
I reckon Warner hates Clarke because on at least three occasions Clarke goes to the corridor, and Ross has two talls there. Each time Warner kicked to Clarke who was monstered.
Hayward is a deadset moron. It's simple stuff, but I reckon it's best to kick to our players, not the opposition.
We got plenty of ball to win, but what we did was butcher it. Time and time again.

I just don’t get this attitude. Do you really want to watch the team lose? I don’t. Watching the losses feels like a waste of time. I’d much rather we went on a run and somehow sneak into the finals against all odds. Wouldn’t that be more fun than missing the finals???

The last couple of times I’ve been to the scg I’ve been staggered by the number of kids behind the goal at the petersham end. That coupled with the number of scg members seems to tell me it’s never going to be an intimidating place for other teams
“Petersham end”?

Petersham must be like 10 kms from the SCG.

(And which end is it anyway? The SCG is aligned north/south, and Petersham is west.)

I heard after the disappointing Essington game last year Heeney revved up the players, saying we can't lose like that again etc... 9 game winning streak after that.

Hasn't been reported this season so far

St Kilda played some weird kind of smother-ball game. OK it worked, they won, but that was the most boring game I have seen in a long time. If that's the Saint's new contribution to the game they can F-OFF back to their natural habitat between 14th and 18th on the ladder.

I heard after the disappointing Essington game last year Heeney revved up the players, saying we can't lose like that again etc... 9 game winning streak after that.

Heeney would have some nerve giving such a rev-up this year given the way he is going individually.

He kicked 16 goals in 7 weeks after that and averaged basically 20 touches a week in that patch

He stood up big time

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The sinners go down by 14 pts to the Halo polishers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back