Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Is shaw versatile enough to take a small? I agree shaw must come back in.

Maybe I'm overrating his versatility, and this seems ridiculous given his height but Shaw is so agile and fast that i reckon he could even replace Doughty! If Stiffy is lurking up forward we could always swap some players around to get him back on a small if we weren't covering them.

Having said that sentimentality and the average form of Smith will conspire to keep Doughty in the team.

Vader we've got Doughtys replacement playing in the forward line. Stiffy isn't a forward so it's harsh to judge his game. How would Doughty go up forward?
Stiffy's not a long term replacement, given that he's the 2nd oldest player on our list - and may not be around much longer either, given the fact that he's recently spent 3 weeks in the SANFL completely unrelated to any injury.

Don't know how Doughty would go in the forward line - it's never been tried. Trying it less than 10 games before the end of his career doesn't seem like a good idea though.

Didn't johncock win once what should be the Anthony Modra medal ?(leading goalkicker)

Vader we've got Doughtys replacement playing in the forward line. Stiffy isn't a forward so it's harsh to judge his game. How would Doughty go up forward?

Exactly, but i just can't see Doughty getting dropped, the club love him for his intangibles it would seem.

Stiffy ran out of puff but will be better for the run. No doubt would've been the plan to sub him today, until Tippett went down again.

Yep both ends now throwing up dilemmas. Otten would be stiff to be dropped after his performance today. Glimpses of 09.

Is shaw versatile enough to take a small? I agree shaw must come back in.
As i said Smith out Shaw in ......mark my words

Great admirer of Smith as a future great player .......but has been ave for a while .....Otten was too good today to get dropped, and Shaw too good not to come back in ......Smith unlucky

Stiffy's not a long term replacement, given that he's the 2nd oldest player on our list - and may not be around much longer either, given the fact that he's recently spent 3 weeks in the SANFL completely unrelated to any injury.

Don't know how Doughty would go in the forward line - it's never been tried. Trying it less than 10 games before the end of his career doesn't seem like a good idea though.
He might not be long term but he's a replacement for this year and the next at least. Besides we've got Brown which will hopefully be a long term replacement.

My point about Doughty up forward is pretty obvious wasn't it?

He might not be long term but he's a replacement for this year and the next at least. Besides we've got Brown which will hopefully be a long term replacement.

My point about Doughty up forward is pretty obvious wasn't it?
Right now, Johncock is giving us better value in the forward line. He's barely fit enough to run out a half of football it seems. If he can kick 2 goals in that time (as he did today), then he's made a useful contribution. Play him for a full game in defence and he'll concede 3 or 4 goals, which is far less productive than Doughty is at present.

Johncock is a major cause for concern right now. He was dropped due to a lack of fitness and after 3 weeks in the SANFL he still can't run out more than half a game at senior level. If he doesn't improve big time in the next month or so then his AFL career may come to an end the same day that Doughty's does.

The game was the classic teeter. A goal or two either way from a blow out or a close game.

In the end it went nowhere except for giving those 1-39 backers the absolute shits

Right now, Johncock is giving us better value in the forward line. He's barely fit enough to run out a half of football it seems. If he can kick 2 goals in that time (as he did today), then he's made a useful contribution. Play him for a full game in defence and he'll concede 3 or 4 goals, which is far less productive than Doughty is at present.

Johncock is a major cause for concern right now. He was dropped due to a lack of fitness and after 3 weeks in the SANFL he still can't run out more than half a game at senior level. If he doesn't improve big time in the next month or so then his AFL career may come to an end the same day that Doughty's does.

Hope not ,dont we need our oldys so we can keep Kurt in the salary cap doesnt Stiffy hit veteran status next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game from Otten since he was injured.

He needed a big one, and performed...though one out against Darling still made me very nervous. But his foot skills were precise, showed courage, adequate foot speed and improved intensity.

Has quite possibly rocketed into our best 22.

I still think he has the versatility to go forward, and would like to see this trialled against the lesser lights for a 1/4 or so ala Shaw v GWS.

One thing I noticed - WCE tried to do to us what NM and Hawthorn did; they'd deliberately go sideways froma contest and then try and break forward.

Worked a few times, but not as easily and consistently as before.

This^^^^^^

Getting caught by the spread has been our biggest problem all year. Hopefully we are getting on top of that issue. Won't beat hawthorn in the finals if we haven't.

Also, not sure what people think... But should Shaw come in for Doughty and then swap to the forward line for Stiffy? Considering that would put Stiffy back into defense and Shaw can have that floating forward role he had against GWS, and lets not mention Stiffy's disposal will be a BIG upgrade over Doughty's disposal!

stiffy was pretty good today, couple of kicks were over cooked to him, he could of had a few more, his tackling and pressure was first class, should of had a few frees payed to him also.
pretty decent first up after a spell and harshly treated ( lacking respect) around these parts.

Hope not ,dont we need our oldys so we can keep Kurt in the salary cap doesnt Stiffy hit veteran status next year.
That's not a very good reason for retaining him - and a 1st year player would be much cheaper than Johncock (in terms of the salary cap), even once his veteran status is taken into account. Besides, Reilly & Rutten will both qualify for veteran status next year - and unlike Johncock, both appear to have a future beyond 2012.

There are plenty of good reasons for retaining him next year - but veteran listed salary cap considerations are not one of them.

Thought Smith was alright today, especially early in the first quarter he was very good. Made 2 superb defensive efforts that stopped near certain west coast goals and helped set up our forward attacks.

Doughty also had one excellent defensive punch in particular. Effort like that are worth 5 possessions on their own.

Sloane was BOG for mine, brilliant effort to run all over the ground and crash packs and players, take strong marks in defence, midfield and attack and snap goals and make tackles. Did it all today, brilliant game.

Dangerfield a close 2nd and Vince 3rd. Jenkins, Wright and Porps also right up there, very solid games from them.

Nutter was off today but was limping spending a LOT of time standing on his own in the goalsquare. Did not look right after 1/4 time.

Jacobs belted by Cox and NicNat in the taps but was superb around the ground today.

Overall, excellent team effort and a good win against a decent side.

Plus Shaw to come back in, Lynch worthy of a shot as a defender, Luke Thompson, Tambling.

We have options.

I thought Symes was decent too.

stiffy was pretty good today, couple of kicks were over cooked to him, he could of had a few more, his tackling and pressure was first class, should of had a few frees payed to him also.
pretty decent first up after a spell and harshly treated ( lacking respect) around these parts.
Not sure if it is disrespect to Stiffy from the majority here, but I thought he also had a good first game back from injury. It always takes time to get back into the groove and feel of senior footy (Vince and Porps as examples) and in my opinion he had a more than adequate game and provided plenty for the team!

1. We tackle, we win.

2. "I'd rather play <insert team here> than <insert team here> in the finals" needs to stop. If we want to make a Grand Final, we're going to have to beat 2 of Sydney, Hawthorn and Collingwood, and if we want to win a flag we're going to have to beat all three. It doesn't matter who we play where and when.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back