Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now, Johncock is giving us better value in the forward line. He's barely fit enough to run out a half of football it seems. If he can kick 2 goals in that time (as he did today), then he's made a useful contribution. Play him for a full game in defence and he'll concede 3 or 4 goals, which is far less productive than Doughty is at present.

Johncock is a major cause for concern right now. He was dropped due to a lack of fitness and after 3 weeks in the SANFL he still can't run out more than half a game at senior level. If he doesn't improve big time in the next month or so then his AFL career may come to an end the same day that Doughty's does.
Your continued snide comments about Doughty are v tiresome. Perhaps we can organize a retirement motorcade and you can throw stuff at him? Great servant of the club, squeezed ever last bit of his talent, played 220 games and still playing perfectly well. Sando had a v similar career, suspect he admires him. As should you. On a day nearly everyone played well every opportunity to be more positive and respectful

Your continued snide comments about Doughty are v tiresome. Perhaps we can organize a retirement motorcade and you can throw stuff at him? Great servant of the club, squeezed ever last bit of his talent, played 220 games and still playing perfectly well. Sando had a v similar career, suspect he admires him. As should you. On a day nearly everyone played well every opportunity to be more positive and respectful
What snide comments? I'm probably Doughty's biggest supporter and defender on this entire board. Even I have to admit that he didn't have a great game today. Agree with all the comments you've made about his career.

What snide comments? I'm probably Doughty's biggest supporter and defender on this entire board. Even I have to admit that he didn't have a great game today. Agree with all the comments you've made about his career.
Has to be last season
Slowly detoriating standard
Career ends in next month or so etc

Not just you to be fair, the Douglas Reilly and Doughty threads are full of cheap shots
Not many players play 222 games. I think his form is perfectly good, he just becomes whipping boy for no good reason. Today he was ok, this season he has been good

What a beautiful day!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, we have at least 30 players who could be in our 22 come finals depending on form and fitness.

Whilst Callinan was quiet today, we placed much more emphasis on our forwards restricting the Eagles run out of defence. This included Callinan and Porplyzia as well as Petrenko. The lack of a marking target after Tippett went off also restricted Nutta's opportunities.

Whilst the Eagles won the rucks today, the fact that we won the clearances was a huge tick for Sauce. Wrighty played a fantastic game reducing Kerr's influence as well as finding a bit of the ball. This released VB to play more on the outside (VB and Sloaney were on the "wings" for most of the game) which adds another string to our bow.

I thought the criticism of Brodie Smith was over the top and he provides pace for our defence, along with D-Mac. Dogga was dogga, is it part of our new game plan to spoil the ball into the oppositions forward corridor. We also looked much better with the run of Andy Otten out of defence (19 possessions at 100% DE). Sam Shaw can play the same role as Dogga. He's quicker and is a better mark. Until Stiffy gets to a reasonable level of fitness he will leak goals in defence.

O.K. Bernie, I'm back on board, please do not break my heart again and what a great game by Dougie!!!

Finally, Brad Symes played a flawless game. No turnovers and the average length of his possessions was 3.2 metres. I was particularly impressed with the way he fooled the Eagles that he was going to roost one from 45 metres. Was I the only one that expected him to handball it off?

Just finished watching the replay and I think criticism of Smith is a bit harsh. Had a couple of clangers but, as mentioned above, made some great decisions under pressure down back.
A couple of weeks ago i thought our form was dropping off and that we were relying on thommo, danger & sloaney too much. The reemergence of Ottens, Stiffy, Bernie & Porps as well as Wrighty, Jenkins & Reilly's improvement has me more confident that we have the group to give the pies/hawks/sydney/wce a good run in the finals. If we can keep that 2nd tier group firing we'll go a long way.

After great start Stiffy fell out of game and what happened in last was that because had nothing in tank.
Just before that incident he copped a bone jarring bump {fair} from a WCE player, Priddiss I think that really knocked the stuffing out of old Stiffy, don't think he recovered from the hit.

Jenkins was great around the ground today, I felt he had far more impact on the game than Naitanui despite the hit out difference.

What I really liked was that he successfully used the Mumford (and someone else earlier in the season that I forgot) tactic, and just threw himself not only into regular contests, but around the ground ruck contests, and used his physicality to bully Naitanui back into his shell. By playing, legally, at the man like that, it takes away his real strength in his leap. Kudos to Josh for winning his position so well.

Just finished watching the replay and the comments on Smith have been harsh. 3 poor kicks out of 21 disposals and none cost goals plus he saved a couple. Thoughts of dropping him and keeping Doughty is just wrong. He can also play midfield which he is more suited to anyway.

Just finished watching the replay and the comments on Smith have been harsh. 3 poor kicks out of 21 disposals and none cost goals plus he saved a couple. Thoughts of dropping him and keeping Doughty is just wrong. He can also play midfield which he is more suited to anyway.

I agree EC.

While a couple of his poor kicks were so bad as to be really noticeable, overall I thought he played a solid game. I'd be playing him next week.

Otten/Shaw is the area of decision IMO. While I thought Otten started off a little shaky, he got better and better as the game went on and his disposal in general was excellent.

However Shaw's form has been such that he doesn't deserve to lose his spot, and should come straight back in.

I'm not sure that we can play the both of them in the one side.

Thank god that's a decision for Sando and Milburn to make, not me.

i assume you mean the dropped mark? seemed like a classic sun in eyes moment to me. where he lost it in the air, and was then dazed and couldnt see it on the deck either.

Just finished watching the replay and this was late in the game. Stiffy turned his head just as the ball was about to hit his hands, it was only a small turn, but it was enough to not be looking at where the ball was. Spent it before he had it

Ripping win. I reckon close to one of our most complete games all season. Building very nicely atm. (esp when you consider our best forward and best mark haven't contributed meaningfully in weeks).

Sando's starting to break out the new parts of the gameplan. Lots of crossing the ball today and slow movement forward to setup goals. Didn't see any of that the start of the season, just a maniacal drive to get the ball forward at all costs. It seems to me how he has coached guys individually as well - get them used to playing a new role/game style and have them focus on that as a priority (see Mackay as an inside mid, reilly off the HBF) and then when they've nutted it, evolve things to the next level. Loving it and I reckon he's still holding things up the sleeve as well

Anyway - ripping win. really pleased with how we played.

Great point and i totally agree with you.

Sando has been a great pick up. Even if we don't get the big prize this year, you can see he's the man to get us there. And i agree that he is holding his more up his sleeve. When asked about what he learnt from the Hawks loss (on the couch) he only gave a brief generic answer and that's "all he wanted to say"

But while i was watching the game, i though to myself (during a Truck mark) that i would love to win one while Truck and Thommo are around. They deserve it more than anybody on our list right now. GUNS and have been fantastic servants of the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree EC.

While a couple of his poor kicks were so bad as to be really noticeable, overall I thought he played a solid game. I'd be playing him next week.

Otten/Shaw is the area of decision IMO. While I thought Otten started off a little shaky, he got better and better as the game went on and his disposal in general was excellent.

However Shaw's form has been such that he doesn't deserve to lose his spot, and should come straight back in.

I'm not sure that we can play the both of them in the one side.

Thank god that's a decision for Sando and Milburn to make, not me.

Geelong have a lot of tall/mid-size forwards so I think we could get away with it next week. Stokes and Motlop are their only real smalls, but don't think they'll hurt us too bad.

Great point and i totally agree with you.

Sando has been a great pick up. Even if we don't get the big prize this year, you can see he's the man to get us there. And i agree that he is holding his more up his sleeve. When asked about what he learnt from the Hawks loss (on the couch) he only gave a brief generic answer and that's "all he wanted to say"

But while i was watching the game, i though to myself (during a Truck mark) that i would love to win one while Truck and Thommo are around. They deserve it more than anybody on our list right now. GUNS and have been fantastic servants of the club

Craigy didn't seem to adjust his game plan, regardless of how teams played against us.

Sando has seen the obvious, like we all have, with teams smashing us sideways and outside, and we've modified our game plan to try and suit.

Three weeks ago, we'd been found out - I was bloody worried. But, now, we've adjusted to negate the tactic against us.

Bloody good to see.

Nothing wrong with Smith's game, yes he made a couple of clangers but everyone does that. The positive simply outweigh the negatives. He gets to a contest with great closing speed,can run off half back with verve, is a genuine six footer so can stand the bigger forwards.Has a kick on him like a mule and does read the game well.
Played less than 50 games but really adds something to that back line for me. No way would I be dropping Smith.

Smith reminds me so much of a young Goodwin, but with more speed.

He's game was shaky at times yesterday but he will be an outright star one day I reckon.

Loved DMac's last few weeks, think he's contribution is being underestimated. Becoming the key to our HB line with his drive and dash and kicking skills. He releases alot of pressure through pinpoint kicking and is now the catalyst for many of our attacks. Slotted in to McLeod quarter back role.

Very impressed with the match. The tackling intensity was great. A special mention to Andy Otten. His return was great. The courage shown going back into the contest and his preparedness to run. I was one who thought he showed a lack of pace earlier in the year and that it was going to be hard for him to again be successful.
Was listening to Andy Collins talking on the ABC before the match and he talked about the Crows players absolutely carving up in the SANFL. He suggested that this could cause a bit of unrest at the club. People who are playing really good footy and not getting rewarded with games. The pressure on those in the team is a good thing, but perhaps it does have a down side as well!!
Perhaps this was a bit of the motivation for Andy in this match and pushed him not to leave anything in the tank but to give it his all. For me it has shown that he has a great deal to offer to our team as a versatile and clever defender.

Very impressed with the match. The tackling intensity was great. A special mention to Andy Otten. His return was great. The courage shown going back into the contest and his preparedness to run. I was one who thought he showed a lack of pace earlier in the year and that it was going to be hard for him to again be successful.
Was listening to Andy Collins talking on the ABC before the match and he talked about the Crows players absolutely carving up in the SANFL. He suggested that this could cause a bit of unrest at the club. People who are playing really good footy and not getting rewarded with games. The pressure on those in the team is a good thing, but perhaps it does have a down side as well!!
Perhaps this was a bit of the motivation for Andy in this match and pushed him not to leave anything in the tank but to give it his all. For me it has shown that he has a great deal to offer to our team as a versatile and clever defender.
Wait... did you win the board goal kicking game?

Smith reminds me so much of a young Goodwin, but with more speed.

He's game was shaky at times yesterday but he will be an outright star one day I reckon.

Loved DMac's last few weeks, think he's contribution is being underestimated. Becoming the key to our HB line with his drive and dash and kicking skills. He releases alot of pressure through pinpoint kicking and is now the catalyst for many of our attacks. Slotted in to McLeod quarter back role.
agree will be a great player .......but Smith is only in his second year and has been holding his place ok and getting the necessary experience

That said ......we're at the point of the season of choosing best avail and not focussing on getting players experience (other than Jenkins :))

BTW for those with memories Smith is a replica of John Cahill

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back