Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a few across goal in D50 under pressure howlers which cost us goals certainly. Could have played them a bit safer but the OOB rules probably got in his head. Sidey fumbled one before selling him into trouble in the last I think. It was slippery out there.

Yep was lots of due. The one with Sidey was spot on but Phillips put him under pressure and then Sidey had to give it back.

My sense is that he is still adapting to the pace of our AFL games, partly because of our high pressure playing style.

From what I saw last year from him particularly in the VFL, clever decision making and clean use of the footy are some of his key strengths along with endurance, so give him some time to adapt, learn to keep a cool head and I'm confident we'll see him improve on disposal efficiency by mid season.

One thing that would help him would be not to play him so much through the middle as I feel he'd be more comfortable learning the pace at half forward.

Last edited:
I like him a lot.. Crisp and Phillips are those 5th and 6th string mids that go ok.

He is missing something I feel but difficult to pinpoint.. I'd like to see him get a lil nasty.. throw his body in there a lot more.. fight for it. He is a pretty smooth operator though.. a really good find.

he's missing a right foot... but otherwise going OK at this stage for a guy with single figure games...got caught in a couple of sticky situations on friday and turned it over...not entirely his fault..

he's missing a right foot... but otherwise going OK at this stage for a guy with single figure games...got caught in a couple of sticky situations on friday and turned it over...not entirely his fault..

I like him a lot.. just lacks that something special. You could be right.. it might be that had he had a right foot he'd look a lot better. But really rapped with him. Looks like a top 30 pick at this stage.

This bloke will play over 250 games for the pies. Elite runner already with bench interchange reducing this is the type of guy you need. 10 games in and his in everything. I think he is a future captain in the making.

This is a very big call.
Outrageous IMO and highly unlikely on all fronts but nonetheless a big call.

I just don't see it in him.

Decision making is lacking.
Kicking is overrated
Watch how many times he lump dumps the footy. It barely spins properly.

Lack of leg speed will also hurt him because he is an outside player. He doesn't have the inside game or speed of mind to think his way through situations to make up for his lack of speed.

He'd have to develop immensely to get anywhere near 100 games let alone 250 IMO.

This is a very big call.

Kicking is overrated

Lack of leg speed will also hurt him because he is an outside player. He doesn't have the inside game or speed of mind to think his way through situations to make up for his lack of speed.

He'd have to develop immensely to get anywhere near 100 games let alone 250 IMO.

You basically just described Blair (apart from outside player) and he made it to 100. If Blairy can get to 100 Flippa should make it easily with the potential he has. I think you're being way too harsh on a bloke who's played 9 games.

You basically just described Blair (apart from outside player) and he made it to 100. If Blairy can get to 100 Flippa should make it easily with the potential he has. I think you're being way too harsh on a bloke who's played 9 games.

You're forgetting Blair was actually very good early on in his career.
He actually had a bit of impact on the scoreboard and offered a lot more than his recent decline over the last few years.
From the start he made an impact and it helped him build up credits.

I love Flipper and what he has been able to do already.

But give him another 25-30 games and he will be a crucial part of our midfield going forward.

I don't think he should neccisarily play every game this season, but the more games when can get into him the quicker he will become the consistent contributor I believe he will be.

Some may criticise Hine for several draft decision, but Tom Phillips at pick 58 is one of his best ever, or at least it will turn out that way.

This bloke will play over 250 games for the pies. Elite runner already with bench interchange reducing this is the type of guy you need. 10 games in and his in everything. I think he is a future captain in the making.

I like your optimism about Phillips making 250 games, but to suggest he's a future captain is a big big stretch in my opinion.

What leadership traits has he displayed in such a short period that makes you believe he is a future captain of our great club?

I for one like the start he has made. Turns it over a bit much for my liking but I'm willing to look past that and put it under the "development" bucket. It's all about development with Phillips for mine.

Lets revisit middle of next year and hopefully Phillips has 30+ games under his belt. Then we can make a better assessment of how he's tracking, whether he's going to make it or not.

Nice start by the young man, but it's a wait and see for mine.

You're forgetting Blair was actually very good early on in his career.
He actually had a bit of impact on the scoreboard and offered a lot more than his recent decline over the last few years.
From the start he made an impact and it helped him build up credits.

Yeah but that's just what I mean, Blair had no improvement in him, everything was upfront and then declined, which is unusual for most players who improve as they play more.

Its less than 10 games in and you're saying he isn't up to it?

I love Flipper and what he has been able to do already.

But give him another 25-30 games and he will be a crucial part of our midfield going forward.

I don't think he should neccisarily play every game this season, but the more games when can get into him the quicker he will become the consistent contributor I believe he will be.

Some may criticise Hine for several draft decision, but Tom Phillips at pick 58 is one of his best ever, or at least it will turn out that way.
As good as Pendlebury at 5 or Beams at 30?

Some people a bit harsh on Phillips for a kid with less than 10 games. So far this year he is arguably our most improved player.

Ran hard, showed some physicality and got a truck load of it against the Swans. Yes he turned it over but he wasnt alone... Treloar and others disposal efficiency was in the 50% range too... after quarter time it was a high intensity, contested, high tackling game.

Is already the player we hoped Aish would already be after his 50 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't sold on Flipper last year at all, but I had the suspicion then that he was struggling with the pace of the seniors and rushing his disposal. Especially in his first couple of games where he couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Both him and Maynard in the magoos consistently hit targets, but cook it on occasion up a level.

In saying that; I feel that both are tracking upward nicely, and both still have plenty of upside.

Some players take longer to adapt and settle their disposal than others. It's also players who were rated as decent kicks (as they were) as juniors that we're harder on.

Think they'll give us more hair pulling moments but they are both worth getting as many games into as possible, as soon as possible.

Yeah but that's just what I mean, Blair had no improvement in him, everything was upfront and then declined, which is unusual for most players who improve as they play more.

Its less than 10 games in and you're saying he isn't up to it?

Im saying he is lacking.
He needs to improve drastically to reach 250 games.
Very few get to that milestone and those that do you can see it early on.

His game has many weaknesses at the moment and one being decision making- which is enormous in the modern game riddled with pressure.

Im saying he is lacking.
He needs to improve drastically to reach 250 games.
Very few get to that milestone and those that do you can see it early on.

His game has many weaknesses at the moment and one being decision making- which is enormous in the modern game riddled with pressure.

Is he good at anything?

The glas is pretty much empty with you isn't it?

At the moment of course it is.
Doesn't make me care any less than anyone who is glass half full like yourself.

I'm still prepared to wait and see.
I'm happy to be proven wrong and put my hand up if that is the case.
In fact I'd be desperate for that to happen as it means we will have succeeded as a club or at the very least taken huge steps forward.

Time will tell.

At the moment of course it is.
Doesn't make me care any less than anyone who is glass half full like yourself.

I'm still prepared to wait and see.
I'm happy to be proven wrong and put my hand up if that is the case.
In fact I'd be desperate for that to happen as it means we will have succeeded as a club or at the very least taken huge steps forward.

Time will tell.

So you do have hope that all is not lost?

This is a very big call.

Kicking is overrated

If only I know how to bump a thread. What you just said, is about a guy 10 games in. Just for starters you'll know by seasons end how he's going, if he plays 18 plus games and finals, that there will prove that your watching someone else, because its not the same player I'm talking about.

If only I know how to bump a thread. What you just said, is about a guy 10 games in. Just for starters you'll know by seasons end how he's going, if he plays 18 plus games and finals, that there will prove that your watching someone else, because its not the same player I'm talking about.

Think about it- 250 games.
Some of our champions never played 250 games.

The odds of him getting to 250 are unlikely.

I put Phillips in the same camp as Smith type, does basically everything right as a footballer but lacks that X factor that separates him from a player like WHE, maybe every team needs a few players like that but me it's a case of next in waiting to take his spot.
Maybe Daicos or Brown?

Sent from my warped mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back