Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has had 19 touches at halftime twice this season and failed to reach 30 both times, he seems to die out in the second half of games despite being an elite runner. Needs to stop panic kicking the ball in defense too, he cost us two goals tonight. He really does work hard, one to persist with for sure.

he's playing his 100th next round too.... time to be more confident, consistent and less panicky...

He has had 19 touches at halftime twice this season and failed to reach 30 both times, he seems to die out in the second half of games despite being an elite runner. Needs to stop panic kicking the ball in defense too, he cost us two goals tonight. He really does work hard, one to persist with for sure.
You left out a word. He's an endurance runner. Quite different to the burst efforts required. In short, he's still young and 9 games in to his AFL career. "One to persist with" is an understatement for a pick 58...
upload_2017-4-7_23-50-38.png upload_2017-4-7_23-51-16.png

:D #jks

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-7_23-50-52.png
    upload_2017-4-7_23-50-52.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 3

he was blowing really hard by the end. give him til round 5 before judging too harshly

Any chance of a Rising Star nomination for his game on Friday?

Given he was the highest possession winner of the rising stars this weekend and is averaging a tick under 24ppg on the season (the clear number 1 overall) I'd say he would be monumentally stiff to miss out.

Got a lot of ball so gets credit or getting to the right spots but he really came unstuck with his use and decision making. Most of his mistakes were in the back half and he will learn a bit from it. Lets see how he bounces back but be staggered if dropped.
Had a few across goal in D50 under pressure howlers which cost us goals certainly. Could have played them a bit safer but the OOB rules probably got in his head. Sidey fumbled one before selling him into trouble in the last I think. It was slippery out there.

Got a lot of ball so gets credit or getting to the right spots but he really came unstuck with his use and decision making. Most of his mistakes were in the back half and he will learn a bit from it. Lets see how he bounces back but be staggered if dropped.
I think you've nailed it.
With experience at that tempo he'll adjust I'm sure - and an elite runner ofcourse.
Doubt they'd drop him too.

Should be a lock for rising star nom but my theory is Collingwood players have to do that little bit more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke will play over 250 games for the pies. Elite runner already with bench interchange reducing this is the type of guy you need. 10 games in and his in everything. I think he is a future captain in the making.

I like him a lot.. Crisp and Phillips are those 5th and 6th string mids that go ok.

He is missing something I feel but difficult to pinpoint.. I'd like to see him get a lil nasty.. throw his body in there a lot more.. fight for it. He is a pretty smooth operator though.. a really good find.

I'm happy with what I've seen.

I think those few errors he is making is largely down to experience. I don't think we'll see him kick across goal under that much pressure again.

He made the goal back though late in the game when Adams tackles Zac Jones, and while everyone was arguiing, he took the advantage and kicked it 50 metres onto the chest of varcoe who goals. That goal probably won us the game because it was against the tide.

This bloke will play over 250 games for the pies. Elite runner already with bench interchange reducing this is the type of guy you need. 10 games in and his in everything. I think he is a future captain in the making.
The captaincy is an interesting throw in by you- what I like is that we are starting to mention numerous players in that vein, that's great.
Treloar Adams Moore Sidebottom etc etc
Fantastic

I'm happy with what I've seen.

I think those few errors he is making is largely down to experience. I don't think we'll see him kick across goal under that much pressure again.

He made the goal back though late in the game when Adams tackles Zac Jones, and while everyone was arguiing, he took the advantage and kicked it 50 metres onto the chest of varcoe who goals. That goal probably won us the game because it was against the tide.
Set up Fas in Q1 too with a lovely long pass inside 50 that had to land in between 2 Sydney defenders. Was nice.

Thing is even if my prediction doesnt come true, the mulitple options of leaders is a bluprint of a sussessfull club. Take the hawks any one if Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughhead could of lead the club during thier golden years.

With Phillips, this guy is clean skin Pendle style, im yet to see how he does media, but as for footy im going to love seeing 30 plus possies week after week. The guy us a gun.

He has had 19 touches at halftime twice this season and failed to reach 30 both times, he seems to die out in the second half of games despite being an elite runner.

I reckon I know what has happened there. The opposition coach has had a word to Phillip's opponent at half time about how a 19 year old is on track to rack up 40 against him.

It shows that Phillips has a ways to go to be an effective contested player if he is getting some attention from his opponent. It also shows that if he's left to do his thing, he is a ball winning weapon and the opposition is already having to show him some respect.

He gets the ball and gets into position to get the ball a lot but then doesn't use it very well with his decision making.

I think that the criticism of his across goal kick is a bit harsh. He is a left footer, and he turned to the left side to kick. The right side was closed because a tackler was running in from that side. If he turned that way, there would have been prior opportunity and it wouls have been holding the ball. There was no handball option. He couldn't kick for the boundary. What else was there?

I think that the criticism of his across goal kick is a bit harsh. He is a left footer, and he turned to the left side to kick. The right side was closed because a tackler was running in from that side. If he turned that way, there would have been prior opportunity and it wouls have been holding the ball. There was no handball option. He couldn't kick for the boundary. What else was there?

He could have used an 80 meter torpedo into the forward line.

Agree and I think he just got grabbed as he kicked which made it drop short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back