Autopsy Toothless Bulldogs overcome Norf in a game not for the ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Lobb today in a new role has made me think why English has never been given that defender responsibility.
Given that English is a terrible tap ruckman, I wonder why Sweet, who is a genuine tap ruckman, was never the #1 ruck role and English went back as as a key defender.
Missed opportunity.
Have you watched sweet play for port?? There is a reason he couldn’t get a game at the dogs (hint - he’s shite)

Have you watched sweet play for port?? There is a reason he couldn’t get a game at the dogs (hint - he’s shite)
Yep.
Understand what you are saying, but Sweet was never, ever given the extended run to prove himself and it's the same as his time at Port.
Where as English has never, ever been challenged at the Dogs and he keeps dishing up the same insipid trash.
He is widely recognised as "wanting" against more physical, and less talently gifted ruckmen.
There is plenty of evidence to back up my opinion.

7 pages, with about 2 posts about Lobb in defence, Naughton's return, Jones playing well, and about 3 posts about Bont getting 20 contested touches.

17 posts slamming English and 28 posts about whether it's racist or not criticise Jamarra (with even the criticism itself being off the mark).

I would recommend posting a few thoughts about who played well and then to brew up a decaf coffee, put a dash of whatever liqueur of choice you want, and stream a movie on the streaming service of your choice. You'll feel better!

Yep.
Understand what you are saying, but Sweet was never, ever given the extended run to prove himself and it's the same as his time at Port.
Where as English has never, ever been challenged at the Dogs and he keeps dishing up the same insipid trash.
He is widely recognised as "wanting" against more physical, and less talently gifted ruckmen.
You don’t think there is a reason why sweet was/ has never been given an extended run?? Are ALL the coaches wrong and you are right? Is that what you are trying to say?

Yep.
Sweet played far better VFL footy in 2023 without getting a game in contrast to getting a game in 2021 and 2022 with iffy VFL form. But we also understood that the better VFL form was at the culmination of the most important years of development and getting your body right, and he was highly unlikely to improve any more in 2024 onward as he did in previous years.

He had plenty of times to prove himself - that across 3 VFL seasons wasn't head and shoulders an excellent VFL footballer that demanded AFL selection, just that he was merely a good VFL footballer. And it's no great loss. He hasn't proven us wrong, and his form across SANFL and in the AFL is not any better than his VFL form was for us last year.

English had a poor game but calling his overall package "insipid" is far off the mark. I've had my arguments with him about his value in here over the years but even the worst All-Australian selectors wouldn't seem him such if he truly was insipid.

The idea that we should reserve our criticism of indigenous players is more racist than anything else I've seen on here.
But I didn't say that.

Calling a player lazy and uninterested regularly is typically attributed to indigenous players. Its a microagression. He wasn't, he dropped chest marks instead of leading out with his arms. That's the more appropriateconstructive criticism. He wasn't getting out marked or out hustled.

Also people have said he has been poor this year. On what objectifiable measure? Leads our goal kicking and if not for his break and slow return he would have been on track for 50+ goals. But the eye test says too people he's been poor.

Back from the game now and settled . Liam Jones brings me a lot of enjoyment with his courage and attack on the ball . I am so very glad he returned to us and just perhaps we found him a senior partner in crime today .
Cody was heavily defended today and smashed it .
Bonts forward taps and non possession spoils also blow me away . Yeh is was an ugly game but NOF are a much improved team so while the scoreboard margin should have been greater we got the job done . I saw Jack Macrae make a few nice kicks today too .
Will need to play 4 hard quarters next week and not relax / soften up for Q like we did today.

But I didn't say that.

Calling a player lazy and uninterested regularly is typically attributed to indigenous players. Its a microagression. He wasn't, he dropped chest marks instead of leading out with his arms. That's the more appropriateconstructive criticism. He wasn't getting out marked or out hustled.

Also people have said he has been poor this year. On what objectifiable measure? Leads our goal kicking and if not for his break and slow return he would have been on track for 50+ goals. But the eye test says too people he's been poor.
Jamarra has been poor from what people have been expecting him to get to this year.. there hasn’t been a whole lot of improvement, he’s been ok, that doesn’t mean you are a racist for wanting and expecting more from an exciting player..
Sam Darcy for example has gone past him or on the same level.. people are expecting jamarra to improve and he hasn’t this season.

Did what we needed to get the win. Bont was fantastic and Lobb impressed as an intercept defender. Other than that, not a lot of highlights. Happy to see Naughton get through and hit the scoreboard in his return game.
JUH kicked two very very good goals, but also dropped several marks, including a couple of sitters. unsure if he's progressing well this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t think there is a reason why sweet was/ has never been given an extended run?? Are ALL the coaches wrong and you are right? Is that what you are trying to say?
You can try to put words into my mouth, but I'm not falling for that.
Take to time to look at English's performances.
Apart from today, look at his history against Gawn, Grundy, Darcy, and maybe Blicavs.
Against the others, he holds his own. But his upside is his ability to play in just about any position and that's where the opportunity has been lost.

But I didn't say that.

Disagree mate, I was sitting close to fence near the point post and to me it was one of two things. His fitness is not up to scratch at the moment for whatever reason or he was crook. His pressure was pretty ordinary and kept trying to get cheap kick out the back tonight. He looked buggered tonight physically.

Freijah is a great prospect. Needs to back himself to run with the ball, looks like a possible Ed Richards replacement if the midfield rotation is permanent?

Went to the gane, thought it was a very boring game to watch, wish more dogs fans were there, understand it was a norf home game but they outnumbered us easily

Positives
Bramble and vdm were great
Lobb in defence
Bont BOG
Jones a beast
Frejiah so measured for a 1st year player

Negatives
juh dropped everything and sprayed teammates.
Turnovers when the floodgates were about to open killed us.
Gallagher I'm with others needs to go to 2s
Norf whinging supporters all day

Hapoy to get a win like that when playing average against a team that has improved a lot.

I would recommend posting a few thoughts about who played well and then to brew up a decaf coffee, put a dash of whatever liqueur of choice you want, and stream a movie on the streaming service of your choice. You'll feel better!

Cody Weightman is going to be All Australian sooner rather than later. If he hadn’t had his injury he could even have been a contender this year. Kozzie Pickett has kicked more goals but I’ve never wished we got him instead.

I’m not a drinker, but in honour of the late Martin Mull, my movie tonight is Clue.

Cody Weightman is going to be All Australian sooner rather than later. If he hadn’t had his injury he could even have been a contender this year. Kozzie Pickett has kicked more goals but I’ve never wished we got him instead.

I’m not a drinker, but in honour of the late Martin Mull, my movie tonight is Clue.
Kozzy has also played 30 more games. Weightman kicks more goals per game, they’re different players though I’d love to have Pickett in addition to Weightman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back