Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone told you in June we'd:

1. Add Cloke at $200k a year
2. Lose hamling, hrovat and Stevens.
3. Bank a craptonne of cap space ($750k offered to Hurley).
4. Go to the draft with 2 picks inside 26
5. Win the flag

You'd wet your pants.

Great clubs don't sweat the small stuff (Hrovat and Stevens trades).
Spot on Fronk, the trade period reminded me of when people throw 20 chips at 100 seagulls.
Dogs are the premiers,they didnt need to get involved in all that. They had a serious crack at Hurley, a crack at Deledio and lost some players ranked between 23 and 32 on the list.
Looking forward to season 2017 with recruits Murphy Adams Wallis Cloke Suckling Dale Webb Williams amongst others pushing for senior spots.
Probably need a rookie ruckman and key defender but Dal is in good drafting form so we will be alright.
Can't wait to read the papers tomorrow when they tell us who won the trade period. Always good for a laugh.

Does anyone know if Xavier Richards becomes a DFA after
failing to be picked up can he be taken as a rookie before
the national draft ?
No, he can only be taken as a rookie in the rookie draft.

If he is delisted, he can be taken as a DFA on a club's senior list. If Sydney offer him a contract, he will either re-sign there or go to the draft or PSD.

GWS did poorly in the Boyd deal (given Griffen's mediocre performance since). They then drafted poorly when selecting Marchbank. The trade deals this year though were good- offloaded multiple players they didn't want, lost Marchbank who was always leaving and nabbed a very good player. They have plenty of options to replace the old heads, given the huge amount of young talent they already have and the academy Riverina leg up that will continue to deliver top 10 picks for years to come.

I'm not as bullish about Deledio as everyone else

They don't need him. They have plenty of his sort who are younger and healthier. They need KPDs badly and now have no KPFs besides Cameron and Patten. They should have used the Marchbank pick to replace like for like

He has Achilles problems.

They traded away all their depth this year and will be depending upon 30 plus guys to play a lot of games

They probably can't afford him for 3 years. The salary cap is going to get worse as their young stars come out of contract

They are never going to have as good an injury run as last year. In the PF they had a full list. Even then they struggled to find a decent replacement for SJ

But will they be able to?

If say picks 3 - 6 nominate nominate a GWS Academy player, GWS need to use their first and one of their second round picks. Another nomination in the 6-10 range will knock off their other second pick and two thirds. Leaves them bugger all.

So GWS may only get 2 of them. I thought McCraedie wasn't in their first two picks?
You make a good point, I hadn't realised just how few early picks they had left. I haven't done the maths yet but it looks like they might only be able to afford Setterfield and Perryman. Wouldn't mind having a stab at Macreadie with pick 26, would be a great fit for us. His form this year has paled in comparison with last year though.

Despite how the club is trying to turn this into a positive it is a poor trade window for us. We went for hurley and failed, we went for Delledio and didn't get him. The clubs future is bright but this trade window was poor.

If someone told you in June we'd:

1. Add Cloke at $200k a year
2. Lose hamling, hrovat and Stevens.
3. Bank a craptonne of cap space ($750k offered to Hurley).
4. Go to the draft with 2 picks inside 26
5. Win the flag

You'd wet your pants.

Great clubs don't sweat the small stuff (Hrovat and Stevens trades).

POTY.

Off to change my dacks.

I'm not as bullish about Deledio as everyone else

They don't need him. They have plenty of his sort who are younger and healthier. They need KPDs badly and now have no KPFs besides Cameron and Patten. They should have used the Marchbank pick to replace like for like

He has Achilles problems.

They traded away all their depth this year and will be depending upon 30 plus guys to play a lot of games

They probably can't afford him for 3 years. The salary cap is going to get worse as their young stars come out of contract

They are never going to have as good an injury run as last year. In the PF they had a full list. Even then they struggled to find a decent replacement for SJ
I agree that they don't need him, but they don't actually need anything in particular. They've already been gifted everything they need and more.

Maybe take a quick look at their list before making uninformed sweeping claims about it:

KPDs:
Davis
Haynes
Tomlinson (can also play forward)
Mohr
Corr
Finlayson
KPFs:
Cameron
Patton
Lobb
Himmelberg

They're well stocked for talls at both ends (certainly a lot better than us in this regard).

Just read all the melts on Hrovat...
- I think there's some severe overating of Hrovat on here, and that's coming from a huge fan of his. When you actually look at what he's produced (quantity) at AFL level it's pretty meagre. He wouldn't have had huge value around the league. What we got probably was the best offer.
- Those saying he should have gone last year, are you aware the player has to agree to the trade? If he doesn't want to live on the GC we can't make him by giving him a few Chinese burns or nipple twisters.
- I still haven't found this two 2nd rounder offer ever in print... it's so flipping crazy, it seems like a BF sauce run wild to me. If GC offered that, it would be the height of incompetence.
- If Dogs win the GF again and Roos the wooden spoon, the trade gets us about pick 39. Worst case is of course we get nothing. A more realistic example is us top 4 and north bottom 4, we would get pick 49 equivalent. That is about Hrovat's worth. All the melts for nothing really.

So how long does minson have to find a club? There is still a delisted free agency period is there. Id be more than happy to redraft him as a rookie backup ruck if he has no takers
There are a couple of DFA periods between now and the draft on Nov 25, as well as the pre-season draft which he could also nominate for:

Friday 21 October 5pm - Applications to re-list a player close.

Monday 31 October 2pm - List lodgement (1); rookie promotion to primary list; retained second and third year rookies; international ccholarship player; alternate talent player nominations; club notification of rookie players not accepting a contract of offer; nomination of draft eligible father/son players lodged; TPP pre-season estimates (1).

Tuesday 1 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (1) commences.

Tuesday 8 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes, out of contract listed AFL primary list players draft nomination form and player request for removal from list form lodged with AFL.

Wednesday 9 November 2pm - List lodgement (2); TPP pre-season estimates (2).

Thursday 10 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) commences.

Friday 18 November 2pm - Delisted primary list draft nomination form lodgement; non–retained rookie players draft nomination form lodgement; players not registered or played for three years rookie list form lodgement; new or expired (after three years) draft nomination form lodgement, AFL father-son bidding nominations.

Friday 18 November 5pm - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes.

Friday 25 November - AFL Draft (Sydney) including father-son and academy players bidding.

Saturday 26 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (3) commences.

Sunday 27 November 2pm - AFL delisted free agency period (3) concludes.

Monday 28 November - List lodgement (3).

Monday 28 November 4pm - AFL pre-season draft (via Telstra Webex)

Monday 28 November 4.05pm - Notification of pre-selected rookies (if not selected in the pre-Season draft).

Monday 28 November 4.10pm - AFL rookie draft (via Telstra Webex)

Wednesday 30 November 2pm - Final list lodgement; final TPP pre-Season estimates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read all the melts on Hrovat...
- I think there's some severe overating of Hrovat on here, and that's coming from a huge fan of his. When you actually look at what he's produced (quantity) at AFL level it's pretty meagre. He wouldn't have had huge value around the league. What we got probably was the best offer.
- Those saying he should have gone last year, are you aware the player has to agree to the trade? If he doesn't want to live on the GC we can't make him by giving him a few Chinese burns or nipple twisters.
- I still haven't found this two 2nd rounder offer ever in print... it's so ruddy crazy, it seems like a BF sauce run wild to me. If GC offered that, it would be the height of incompetence.
- If Dogs win the GF again and Roos the wooden spoon, the trade gets us about pick 39. Worst case is of course we get nothing. A more realistic example is us top 4 and north bottom 4, we would get pick 49 equivalent. That is about Hrovat's worth. All the melts for nothing really.
The Hrovat picks will probably be used on West.

Xavier Richards
The versatile Swans tall requested a last-minute trade home to Victoria but attracted no genuine offers. Swans football chief Tom Harley said on Thursday the club would look to reopen talks with Richards, but he remains set on a move if he can find an interested club.

Surely we would be interested? Just put Prudden on rookie list and get this guy in please.

How often does it happen to us though? I can't think of many players that have left the Dogs and flourished. Lake and Ward were already good/going to be great. Griff fell right off. Guys like Tutt Jones Grant etc didn't really kick on. Everitt and Hill are maybe exceptions but I doubt anyone'd want Hill back and Everitt took an age to get near being a quality player.

Overall we seem to do a decent job of getting good performances out of the players on out list.
Keenan Reynolds, was a favourite of mine as a kid. Used to copy his haircut. Was a gun last year with us, did nothing at North.

Despite how the club is trying to turn this into a positive it is a poor trade window for us. We went for hurley and failed, we went for Delledio and didn't get him. The clubs future is bright but this trade window was poor.
Have to wait a year or two to see how our picks 18 and 26 turn out before saying that. We may be saying thank god we didn't get Hurley or Deledio we would of missed ? In Dal we can trust.

Adelaide ballsed up their period.
There are a couple of DFA periods between now and the draft on Nov 25, as well as the pre-season draft which he could also nominate for:

Friday 21 October 5pm - Applications to re-list a player close.

Monday 31 October 2pm - List lodgement (1); rookie promotion to primary list; retained second and third year rookies; international ccholarship player; alternate talent player nominations; club notification of rookie players not accepting a contract of offer; nomination of draft eligible father/son players lodged; TPP pre-season estimates (1).

Tuesday 1 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (1) commences.

Tuesday 8 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes, out of contract listed AFL primary list players draft nomination form and player request for removal from list form lodged with AFL.

Wednesday 9 November 2pm - List lodgement (2); TPP pre-season estimates (2).

Thursday 10 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) commences.

Friday 18 November 2pm - Delisted primary list draft nomination form lodgement; non–retained rookie players draft nomination form lodgement; players not registered or played for three years rookie list form lodgement; new or expired (after three years) draft nomination form lodgement, AFL father-son bidding nominations.

Friday 18 November 5pm - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes.

Friday 25 November - AFL Draft (Sydney) including father-son and academy players bidding.

Saturday 26 November - AFL delisted player free agency period (3) commences.

Sunday 27 November 2pm - AFL delisted free agency period (3) concludes.

Monday 28 November - List lodgement (3).

Monday 28 November 4pm - AFL pre-season draft (via Telstra Webex)

Monday 28 November 4.05pm - Notification of pre-selected rookies (if not selected in the pre-Season draft).

Monday 28 November 4.10pm - AFL rookie draft (via Telstra Webex)

Wednesday 30 November 2pm - Final list lodgement; final TPP pre-Season estimates.

Between Grand final day and now, 313 pages of discussion on this thread and it's predecessor, at approx 25 posts per page = 8000 posts! I can't keep up with that much froth! Summary??:- Out Goetz, Hamling, Stevens, Minson, Hrovat, Adcock. In Cloke, TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA. how many posts til 28th Nov :drunk:.

Luckily 3 test matches during Nov:). Play on............:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back