List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

I'm a bit unconvinced on his forward ability. This could go pear shaped for Williams if that's the case.
We have Darling Allen Waterman and Jack Williams as tall forwards.

Williams going into a resting Ruck/Forward combo pushes two tall forwards mentioned out.

Interesting problem to have as it means we have a lot of depth in the key forward area. But also means by 2024 a few in this group will likely fall off the peaking order out the door.

It's make or break for B Williams J Waterman J Williams and J Darling this season. And Flynn too if his recruited into number 1 ruck needs to cement that position.
Id imagine J.Williams and Maric spend a lot more time in the WAFL next year. Theyre still teenagers so wont do them any harm

Hard to see why we’d want to trade it anyway. If we get Brockman for a pick in the 50s, Robertson for a F3 and Flynn as a FA then we only need 4 senior spots plus a rookie to fill?

With pick 1,20, 34 and 39 and the other pick 50 we’ll have more than enough. Then depending on where Collard falls, and our interest in him, we’ll have a surplus pick somewhere.

If the middle of the draft is as even as they’re saying I don’t see why handing us a bunch of late firsts is going to help when we already own 3 early/mid second rounders. ie. unless you’re handing us at least 2 cracks at the top end you may as well not bother starting the conversation.

(Someone correct me if my maths is wrong)

I'm a bit unconvinced on his forward ability. This could go pear shaped for Williams if that's the case.
We have Darling Allen Waterman and Jack Williams as tall forwards.

Williams going into a resting Ruck/Forward combo pushes two tall forwards mentioned out.

Interesting problem to have as it means we have a lot of depth in the key forward area. But also means by 2024 a few in this group will likely fall off the peaking order out the door.

It's make or break for B Williams J Waterman J Williams and J Darling this season. And Flynn too if his recruited into number 1 ruck needs to cement that position.
Other than Allen only one is tall, and of the almost tallsonly JD has the runs on the board. Intersting how we fit in Ryan, Cripps and at least one mid/forward in. I would not dismiss Maric getting plenty of game time either. He did well for an 18 year old with no pre season. It is a build.

Id imagine J.Williams and Maric spend a lot more time in the WAFL next year. Theyre still teenagers so wont do them any harm
J.Will yes but I think Maric holds his spot in our fwds.
Goaled in 6 of his 10 games, was in the top tier for goalkicking accuracy at 75% and is 5cm taller than Darling. If the kid puts a couple more KGs on this offseason and expands his tank, he's going to be handy next year.

Flynn being brought in is a replacement for NN being off the list, it doesn't mean that anyone is an automatic starter for round 1.

If we get Flynn, what do people think of English next year? Would we still be interested? or would we just tell English to stay where he is?
Do you think it might be wise to see how Flynn and Bailey go in 2024 before we look at who we want to ruck in 2025? BTW - Barnett might also be improving!!

A very valid point I’ve seen made on twitter- nobody in the media has talked about what Reid could bring to the eagles and how well he would fit into our side

Also when talking about trading the first pick there’s never any follow up analysis of who we might pick other than Curtin and occasional references to other WA talent without naming anyone

I mean FFS put in some effort and actually go into detail about what a trade looks like and why we’d be better.

So ******* lazy

It was covered much better just now on gettable.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

J.Will yes but I think Maric holds his spot in our fwds.
Goaled in 6 of his 10 games, was in the top tier for goalkicking accuracy at 75% and is 5cm taller than Darling. If the kid puts a couple more KGs on this offseason and expands his tank, he's going to be handy next year.
I think Maric will be really handy, but a 4th tall fwd doesnt sound like something we would do. Hes only been on a list for a few months, an extra year in the WAFL wont hurt him. Tall forwards usually spend a lot longer in the WAFL than the 1 week he had after getting drafted lol

North making an offer for pick 1 hinges of them receiving 3 for McKay, if they don't they'll not have the picks IMO.
It is John Ralph so reader beware. HUN are reporting a nuance in the FA rules which is likely to help Norf get pick 3

Ben McKay’s December birth date as the baby of his draft class will deliver North Melbourne a huge advantage in securing first-round compensation for the departing free agent. Essendon on Monday had been uncertain whether their offer for Roos interceptor McKay would be big enough to secure that coveted first-round pick.

The Essendon offer of at least five years is less than $800,000 a season in guaranteed money, with the Dons uncertain about the threshold for first-round compensation.

If the compensation did not reach that first-round marker, the Roos had made public their determination to match the free agency offer and retain McKay.

But this masthead can reveal the age of a departing free agent is a critical element in deciding what compensation their club receives.

As a player born on December 24, 1997 (with twin Harry), McKay fits into the window as a 25-year-old departing free agent by less than two months on the league’s October 31 cut-off.

Under the AFL’s formula, a 25-year-old free agent requires a lesser salary to tick off first-round compensation than a 26-year-old or even 27-year-old.

So, as a 25-year-old, a guaranteed contract of $775,000 might be enough to tick off first-round compensation, whereas for a 26-year-old that threshold might have been $800,000 and a 27-year-old $850,000.

Wow a "quirk" of the system is going to help the AFL get the result it would like for a Victorian club...who knew.

Waits for day that a "quirk" of any AFL system will benefit a WA or SA club.

Exactly.

No-one should be surprised with the result. Because the AFL always leaves itself wriggle room to change any formula driven result into what they really want at the time.

Or they just decide behind closed doors and tell us when the decision has been made. AKA extending the MCG grand final rights.

Last edited:
O'Brien on trade radio saying we're more likely than not to hold on to pick 1 and take it to the draft.
Also said we don’t have a price in mind and no one has come to us with anything close to what it would take to turn our heads. Might change if North gets pick 3 but it sounds like it’s not going to be worth it for a buying side and we’re not going to be giving it up easily

The entire AFL "media" has been able to get away with coasting along with the bare minimum of effort and research for the majority of its existence. They're dealing with a majority supporter base that doesn't mind snippets of information in bite sized morsels that is more about entertainment than being informative. The average footy fan doesn't care about decent analysis. You only have to look at someone like David King who is fed stats that make him look like Rainman compared to the majority of the rest of the media.
I reckon so much of this streams from the Footy Show. It's ruined the composition of all the panel shows. You get the slick host, the dumbarse/jester, and the journalist/boffin. And everybody stays in their lane and enjoys a bit of bullying. Hell, Triple M got Ross Lyon, a genuine football savant, and turned him into another guffawing slow.

The best thing about King is that he genuinely seems to like this stuff and always promotes the Champion Data guys. A show like First Crack is probably the best we're going to get.

It's even worse in print, except for the ABC where Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson do great work - but ABC print is too far off Broadway to have any real influence.

I agree that should we take Harley, he likely starts the season on a HBF and helps elevate our back 6. He likely has stints in the middle and stints forward too, given his ability to be effective at any position.

Cole / Barass / Witherden
Hough / McGovern / Reid

It’s a pretty solid back 6. Could probably use a Schofield type to kill contests, but it’s a decent start.

I agree that should we take Harley, he likely starts the season on a HBF and helps elevate our back 6. He likely has stints in the middle and stints forward too, given his ability to be effective at any position.

Cole / Barass / Witherden
Hough / McGovern / Reid

It’s a pretty solid back 6. Could probably use a Schofield type to kill contests, but it’s a decent start.
Yeo needs to be on the back flank. Ginbey should rotate there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back