Mega Thread Trade/Draft SuperMegaUltraThread - 2015 trade period edition

Remove this Banner Ad

The formula this year is different to what it was last year apparently.
it's not different it's just changed a little because player payments have gone up

ie $700,000 may have got you band 1 last year however $750,000 may be needed to get band 1 this year. This and the 2 articles explains it

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-
Interesting article. So there are approximately 270 players over 25 in the AFL.
To get band 1 compo you would need to be paid in the top 14 players bracket (5%)
To get band 2 compo you would need to be paid in the top 41 players bracket (15%)
To get band 3 compo you would need to be paid in the top 81 players bracket (30%)
To get band 4 compo you would need to be paid in the top 135 players bracket (50%)

This article show the wages for last year.
It includes every player not just over 25's, but you'd assume the vast majority of top earners would be over 25.
So as a rough guide;
The top 20 players earned over $700k (Frawley)
The top 46 players earned over $600k
The top 78 players earned over $500k (Higgins & Malceski)
The top 154 players earned over $400k

Buzz. And numbers are anything but qualitative and incapable of logic or reason. Their function here is limited

Melbourne got a band 2 pick.
We got a band 3 pick.

That is the only thing that matters in an equitable system.

If you're constructing a compo system to make it flexible you should detach it from the clubs picks entirely and insert a pick according to the points value attributed. Like the new FS bidding system.

In such a system Melbourne wouldn't get a pick as high as 3 for a B grade defender and we wouldn't lose a B grade midfielder for the price of a 30 year old fringe player.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I agree that's what the system should be its clear FA is just another equalization tool of the AFL.

I ain't even mad the AFL has been pulling this shit for years.

messara-a-mess-and-dont-poke-the-bear-23.jpg

Sinclair & 55 -> Jetta & 33

Leaves us with 33, 36 and 37 in the draft.

Would still like to have a crack at Anderson but 33 would struggle to be enough. Perhaps we could package 36 and 37 for pick 25-30 to get him across.

Colledge -> Pick 55-60?

Use picks 33 and 60 on kids and upgrade Newman with 73?

Profit?

Don't think we'll get a sniff of Sydney's first pick. Too important to them for academy bidding.

Could see:
Sinclair + our third (56?) for Jetta + their second (34?)
Send 34 to Hawthorn for Anderson.
Use ~37 and ~38 in the draft, pick up Gach Nyuon as a project ruck

Something like that wouldn't surprise me.

Our 3 draft picks will be rookie upgrade and two ruck picks (a backup ruckman and a project ruckman).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect they knew they were going to get this and just don't like the system (the same system that values Frawley at #3, Danger at #9 and Selwood at #37).
it does seem to be very "arbitrary" and if you are cynical you would think that the AFL are trying to help Melbourne out on the one hand... and on the other appearing tough by not giving them an extra 1st round draft... they got that other dodgy compensation last year or year before... cant think of it off the top of my head

yes I can

pick 22 for Sylvia lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Trade/Draft SuperMegaUltraThread - 2015 trade period edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back