7 15 17 26 28 74 Dogs 2022 R2

74 to North for Tarrant

7 15 17 26 28 Dogs 2022 R2

7 & 17 for Crows 4 & 23

4 15 23 26 28 Dogs 2022 R2

4 - Ward/Callaghan/Hobbs/Gibcus

15 - Johnson/Wanganeen-Milera/Roberts

23/26/28 - Any 3 of Van Rooyen/Williams/Bazzo/Alleer

Some Saturday morning thoughts(or lack of) to contemplate.

Fire away folks

CCJ is worth way more than 39.

And why not picks 2 and/or3? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK SUBIACO V SOUTH FREMANTLE Grand Final coming up on 7 Plus

Matty P lining up for Sth Freo
Yep rematch, hopefully freo get revenge

would love to see Parker have a huge game, 25 touch’s 2 goals and 8 tackles with full intent

he’s on afl list now so he really should be dominating at this level

I was one for not wanting to re sign him so cmon Matty P prove me wrong

Salary dumping is legit , coll did last year with treloar, Stephenson and Phillips , all salary’s went with player , treloar partly
This is a road to perdition imo. I'd rather see players only able to be traded in or out when they're coming out of contract. What's happening is clubs can just sign any player on any old massive amount (some of these contracts are ridiculous) and take the punt that it will be a success. Then, if it all goes south (Coniglio for example) it's now viable to just salary dump the player onto someone else. When there's no consequences for big mistakes, recruiters are emboldened to do crazy deals, knowing there's a get out of jail card. The next step is creative bookkeeping and ventures into negative trades or the type of smoke and mirrors being explored by North and the Suns.

That's a crazy and unsustainable way of doing business. You more than likely end up with everyone making ill considered, short term decisions trying to play the system and then wriggling out of them when they go sour, potentially making the whole competition unstable and irrational.

So ultimately contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on and you can say welcome to the "players are just a commodity" era rubbish we see from other sports, in the US primarily. Australian Rules Football is our indigenous game and its unique, right down to the grass roots. It's not American and this attitude that all (sporting) things American are better has to stop. Why ?

Because it's bs. Clubs run like corporations or worse, private playthings of dodgy "entrepreneurs". We've seen how that went and we walked away with fingers singed. Players treated like pawns, player managers acting like superstars. They aren't superstars, they're just player managers.

If we continue down this road, the integrity of the competition is further eroded and right now it's lower than I've ever seen in my 50y enjoying the game.

Whilst it's fun for us sitting at home "managing" our teams, when the rules get bent and stretched and loopholed until the product you end up with, doesn't reflect the product you started with or intended to create, then you end up cannibalising the unique and special product we love.

Leave the rules alone. That goes for all the rules. Be slow and considered to making changes and stop clubs straying into the unethical. If it smells bad, it's because it's off.

Last edited:
I don’t think Voss would agree to losing him straight away. He’s been dropped into a win now position. He’d need to know something else is coming back player wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can anyone really see Carlton making finals next year (clearly stated by their President and stamped by their new coach) without Charlie Curnow having a good season ?

Unless he is asking to leave, I just can't see any way Voss, with the finals hatchet already placed above the door on Day 1 lets Charlie Curnow walk.

Talls are hard to come by and he should be worth at least pick 20 of where we drafted him

All the posters constantly chiming in saying CJ is worth 20 need to realise what that CJ is "worth" and what we will get for him are two completely different things due to North holding pick one in the PSD.

We all know he's worth more than they're offering - he's a former pick 20 KPP/ruck with flexibility, on a $2 million contract with four years worth of development and has shown enough to poll Brownlow votes from limited games in his debut season. Clearly he's worth a lot.

But you need to factor in bargaining power. North have more leverage than us because they can afford to offer him stupid money which we can't match, and they hold pick 1 in the PSD. They're offering him this stupid money because they know we can't match it and we'll have to accept a lower pick than his actual "worth" with the threat of no compensation looming over our head if we don't accept. They can afford the financial cost and are willing to pay it to pick him up cheaply in terms of draft capital. So what he's "worth", and what we get are not the same thing due to bargaining power.

BHP shares are "worth" 35 bucks but if I have a stock option to buy them for 20 I'm always gonna use it to pick them up on the cheap...

The best we can hope for is that they negotiate in good faith and offer up something between his actual "worth" and the mooted pick 40 but they're almost definitely going to get him for significant unders in terms of draft capital because of their bargaining power. But take some solace that they're taking a big financial risk to do so.

It has NOTHING to do with being happy. Its all about copping a bit of pain and taking the best we can get for him.

I really think NM could be doing us a favour because im not sure hes the player or is going to be the player people around here are talking about.

Don't think he is ever going to be a top flight key fwd and right atm Nankervis and Soldo are miles in front of him as a ruckman.
The only way he will be missed next season is if JACK or Tom are injured but Samson Ryan will have another needed preseason into him Imo we draft Blake Schlensog who is 22 and is the best kpd in the WAFL who can play both ends. AT 200cm he is exactly the size of defender we lack and is not a kid as such but still young at 22.He can go with Tarrant and Miller has one more preseason then Balta could be moved forward.

This wont go down well here but id be looking at Talia as a rookie or even in the psd. This would definately allow us to play Balta as a key forward we really need to do something about KPF right now.

We lose Astbury and cut Garthwaite who if we are honest is not AFL standard .
We gain Tarrant, Talia and Schenslog in effect just one extra tall but we gain great depth and a ready to go Key Forward in a positional change in Balta.

B: Grimes - Talia - ####
HB:#### - Tarrant - ####. Other options Balta, Schlensog, Miller if we dont cut him. Nyuon has time to develop in the two's. If we cop injuries here we are well covered.

HF: #### - Balta - Riewoldt
F: #### - Lynch - ####. Other options Schenslog utility, Miller utility who started out as a Forward. Ryan RUCK/FWD still develops. It gives us some cover here some cover and options at minimal cost.

Tarrant F/A, Talia DF/A, Schlensog pick 28 - 38.
So, what you're saying is, play Balta forward ?

All the posters constantly chiming in saying CJ is worth 20 need to realise what that CJ is "worth" and what we will get for him are two completely different things due to North holding pick one in the PSD.

We all know he's worth more than they're offering - he's a former pick 20 KPP/ruck with flexibility, on a $2 million contract with four years worth of development and has shown enough to poll Brownlow votes from limited games in his debut season. Clearly he's worth a lot.

But you need to factor in bargaining power. North have more leverage than us because they can afford to offer him stupid money which we can't match, and they hold pick 1 in the PSD. They're offering him this stupid money because they know we can't match it and we'll have to accept a lower pick than his actual "worth" with the threat of no compensation looming over our head if we don't accept. They can afford the financial cost and are willing to pay it to pick him up cheaply in terms of draft capital. So what he's "worth", and what we get are not the same thing due to bargaining power.

BHP shares are "worth" 35 bucks but if I have a stock option to buy them for 20 I'm always gonna use it to pick them up on the cheap...

The best we can hope for is that they negotiate in good faith and offer up something between his actual "worth" and the mooted pick 40 but they're almost definitely going to get him for significant unders in terms of draft capital because of their bargaining power. But take some solace that they're taking a big financial risk to do so.

Of course.

But there is also the fact that this isn't a one off deal. North faces the issue that the more like pricks they are the more other clubs will be pricks to them.

I reckon we'll get pick 20, but are likely to have to give something juicy back. Bundle Tarrant into it, and we are likely to hand over something like pick 28. They win, we win. They almost certainly get more value. But we end up fairly OK.

That's what I expect from a club with 1/2 a brain. Screw people and expect to get screwed in return

The biggest thing about ccj that impressed me was when he went for contested marks he seemed to get his hands to the ball at the highest point, making it pretty much impossible to stop from marking without giving away a free kick. I thought he looked very much like a Ben brown up forward but with more ability to go through and compete well in the ruck.
In my opinion balta is a locked in to play key back for the next 10 years. It doesn’t make sense to me to develop a premiership CHB only to swing him into the forward line a couple of years later and he seems to play better reading the ball and using his athleticism to make contests more so then presenting to our mids and finding the right leading lanes.
So, what you're saying is leave Balta in defence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back