List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1633356285576.png

Fox Footy pundits Leigh Montagna and David King believe Richmond will likely have to soften its trade stance with North Melbourne, which has flagged its Callum Coleman-Jones deal plans.

The Kangaroos need to find a way to acquire Tiger Callum Coleman-Jones, who’s played just nine games in four seasons at Richmond but been identified by North as the ruck successor to star veteran Todd Goldstein.

But Richmond and North hit an early roadblock on day one of the trade period, with Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph suggesting the two clubs were “miles apart” at the trade table.

The Tigers are keen to acquire Pick 20 – the same pick the Richmond ruck was taken at in the 2017 draft – as compensation for losing Coleman-Jones, who’s been offered a long-term deal on good money at Arden St. But the Roos are unwilling to part with that draft selection, with The Age reporting North had offered a third-round pick for Coleman-Jones while asking for Richmond’s fourth round pick back.

Foxfooty.com.au reported Richmond was “agitated” at North’s push to acquire young a player on a healthy, long-term deal but be unwilling to send Pick 20 to the Tigers.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s Trading Day, Ralph pointed to several other rucks that had been traded in recent seasons for little compensation, including Toby Nankervis from Sydney to Richmond (for Pick 46) and Jarrod Witts from Collingwood to Gold Coast (Pick 44).

Richmond’s [PLAYERCARD]Callum Coleman-Jones[/PLAYERCARD] has played nine games in four seasons. Picture: Michael Klein
Richmond’s Callum Coleman-Jones has played nine games in four seasons. Picture: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia

“They (the Tigers) think he (Coleman-Jones) is ready to blossom after a pretty solid year, but North Melbourne’s saying: ‘We just don’t think he’s worth that and we don’t think ruckmen are worth Pick 20, we’re prepared to give (Pick) 38 up,’” Ralph told Fox Footy.

“There is the potential for him to go through to the pre-season draft, North are saying: ‘We want to negotiate in good faith and that would absolutely be a Plan B.’”

Montagna said the Kangaroos “have the upper hand in this situation”, meaning Richmond was more unlikely to have its demands met.

“They (the Kangaroos) will deal in good faith and if Richmond don‘t come to the party – a bit like what happened with Jack Martin at the Gold Coast Suns – you say: ‘Worst-case scenario, we walk him through to the pre-season draft and we get him for nothing,’” Montagna told Trading Day.

“Richmond, unfortunately, will have to accept probably under what he‘s worth. But that’s all part of it when you know you’ve got the upper hand as (an) unsigned (player).”

King said he was a “huge fan” of Coleman-Jones and that he was worth Pick 20, but stressed it was a “buyers’ market”.

“The player wants to play AFL footy. He’s been at Richmond for four years, he just hasn’t been able to nail down that first ruck position, he wants ruck exposure not forward exposure,” King told Trading Day.

“I think it’ll get done for that Pick 38. Sure Richmond are not happy, but that’s the law of the jungle. They’ve won the swing a couple of times Richmond, so I think they’ve got to give one up here.

“It might be a little switch with picks that could be the sweetener.”

The Tigers are set to acquire veteran North defender Robbie Tarrant, who’ll have to be traded to the club rather than picked up as a free agent to ensure the compensation pick Richmond received for losing Mabior Chol to the Gold Coast Suns isn’t diluted.

Riddle me this campaigners, let your rancid minds spew on this of a second.....

Through the AFL's own formula, we got pick 38 for Marbor Chol, & pick 39 for Brandon Ellis.

Actually I am wrong. I thought we got a 2nd rounder after our pick, but I think it was ehd of 2nd round. Total BS.
Pretty sure it was Band 3 (2nd round pick after our pick). It’s technically better compo band, but like you originally said, ladder position had a fair bit to play in it. We still got completely shafted.

Last edited:
Evening All, I come in peace. Just a hypothetical given the Tigs current picks - and a bit of interest if the dogs might do a deal.

Rich: 17
Dogs: 26 & 28

Rich: 8
Fre: 15 & 17
If Freo land 6 for Cerra, they could look to use one of 15/17 to land Clark

Rich: 9
St K: Tigs 2022 / possibly a sweetner (47?)
You’d reckon they’d be deep into Ben King coming out of contract so strengthening their position in next years draft would help them there.

Would give Richmond a crack at 3 first rounders and leave 38 for Tarrant?

All the best, hope you guys get some fair outcomes 👍

17 no good because we have later picks that are becoming worthless because RFC is sitting on its arse while Gold Coast and Pies already got it done.
you want points, why should we sell the farm with 26 and 28?

Why would we give up 15 and 17 to get 8?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetical: Pick 22 for picks 41, 47 and the Tigs future 2nd

This is what happens when RFC sits on its arse and Pies are proactive. RFC lost market advantage like being screwed over with North. Could haveoffered better deal with Gold Coast but played over and no doubt HQ orchestrated

Last edited:
Curnow’s injuries are not debilitating. Carlton have a poor fitness department. As I said he was close to Teague and now happy and it is a good chance he comes to us cheaply. The chances of a pick in the 20s working out are similar to Curnow working but Curnows upside is seriously insane👊🏼. He kicked 7 goals before the injury. He is the perfect mid forward and his armspan nullifys Riewoldt height. I vividly remember him tearing rance a new one.

If the Curnow stuff wasn’t a fantasy I would definitely be balls on the line have a crack and play him as a mid/fwd like Dusty.

That said the bloke discloses his knee cap kicking the footy, can’t really be blamed on a fitness department.

Hypothetical: Pick 22 for picks 41, 47 and the Tigs future 2nd

With respect I am going to take that as posturing.

So how can we negotiate to a better place.

Pies have lost their 2nd and third round futures so they have lost that advantage

I will take pick 22 for 38, 42 which is similar points.

I assume you want more and gravy so what do you want?

The position we're in now I bet 90% of us would give up Geelong's 1st rounder for 2m Peter. He was same boat as Brodie last year.
I must be one of the other 10%.

Why would anyone give up a first rounder for Peter Wright?

It makes ZERO sense. One was a 1st round pick, dual Premiership player being signed to a 5 year multi-million dollar contract - and the other guy was Marbor Chol.

We got a pick after our second round (band 3) for Ellis and a end of second round pick (band 4) for Chol. The picks are the same because we won the premiership the year Ellis left.

Same thing happened to the Hawks with the Buddy compo they got band 1 but because they won the premiership it ended up being pick 19.

GWS are very keen on Mac Andrew, who is likely to be available at Richmond’s pick-7, but won’t still be there at GWS’s pick-13. So their pick-2 is up for grabs, as GWS don’t need or want more midfielders.

So I can definitely see us packaging up 28, 38 & 42 (or a similar combo) to get Dogs pick-17. Then offer GWS 7 & 17 for pick-2 so we get Hobbs or Callaghan. GWS still get Mac Andrew at pick-7 and collect an extra first round pick in the process.

So we go to the draft with 2, 15, 26, 40 & 47.

If GWS are confident Mac Andrew gets to 7 they’ll do that deal and so should we, as nothing changes except we get Hobbs or Callaghan instead of Ward, and we get the same player as we would have at pick-15. We just don’t have the pick-17 but we may well get who we would have chosen at pick-26 anyway.

Get it done Tigers !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The more I see of Mac Andrew the more I like him. If the mids we want are gone then I hope we take him. Screw GWS over and start making talk of it now so it can throw top 10 predictions out. Then watch the floodgates open with picks being traded

Thats right, and thats why CCJ is leaving because no deal was done 8 months ago
Probably because he ****ed up in Queensland and helped cost the club $100k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back