Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

he's an unrestricted free agent, they don't have to trade for him at all. at best we'll get a compo pick based on the contract offered, which surely won't net us more than a 3rd rounder

I may be wrong, but is compo based on net loss v net gain? So if we lose Graham AND Dusty to free agency, I think they treat this is 4 x $550k (Graham) + 2 x $700k (Dusty) = 2 x $1.25m + 2 x $550k for players 26yo and 33yo with 5 x flags.

That’s assuming we don’t bring anyone else in as a free agent to dilute the compo. If that gets us an end of first, then it’s a good result for the club. Maybe McIntosh as an UFA can leave as well on 2 x $350k somewhere to guarantee us an end of first? Or imagine a pick after our first pick for losing those 3 x players, giving us picks #1 and #2 …

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You think Dusty would do that to RFC. Less than zero chance of that happening.

Like I said, if he goes we will be well looked after.

The people that think he'll go and we get pick 50 odd are off with the pixies

He’s an UFA. Just like Buddy, he goes and the AFL look after the compo. We took Prestia and Lynch from them at their peak … I’m just not sure they’ll be feeling charitable enough to hand over picks no other team ever has for an UFA, just because Dusty tells them to ..?!??

2 year contract at about 700K to 750K a year is my bet.

View attachment 2036820

My guess it's an end of 2nd round or 3rd round pick, considering our position on the ladder it's probably around the pick 40 mark.

1st round pick is only given to players in the top 5% contract earners.

View attachment 2036854

For us to get a start of 2nd round pick, I reckon Dusty's 2 year deal would have to be around the $800K mark or top 15% in the league.

Its ’net loss’, so we need to shuffle Graham out the door and we might get an end of first, as Graham will get a 3-4 year deal on medium coin and he’s only 26yo. So the first 2 x years of ‘net loss’ is $1.25m per season. Thats end of first every day of the week …. good times !!

Its ’net loss’, so we need to shuffle Graham out the door and we might get an end of first, as Graham will get a 3-4 year deal on medium coin and he’s only 26yo. So the first 2 x years of ‘net loss’ is $1.25m per season. Thats end of first every day of the week …. good times !!

Dreaming, were not getting an end of first. Not at their age.
You forget the AFL's secret herbs and spices.

Dreaming, were not getting an end of first. Not at their age.
You forget the AFL's secret herbs and spices.
Yep and the cap has gone up everyone needs to remember, so he might get offered what looks like a good deal but won’t be enough to cop a end of first, I don’t even think he’s worth an end of second based off the player he is, it would be a win if we got that for him IMO

1. Finn O'Sullivan. Best player in the draft. Elite in nearly every area of the game: smarts, toughness, skills, anticipation, marking, leap, leadership. The next Trent Cotchin if we draft him.
2. Bo Allan. 191cm, fast, aggressive midfielder who is new to the position and has plenty of improvement left. Strong overhead and a 70-metre player.
3. Tom Sims, aka Tom Lynch, Jr. Vice hands, great agility, accurate kick.

Give me those three now and I'm happy.

I'd love to get our hands on Taj Hotton and Murphy Reid but that's being greedy. It'll only be one of those two or Allan, and even then we'll be lucky. I like Lalor and appreciate he was underdone but some worrying signs re his speed and running ability. If we can score a second top-10 pick it's one of those or Sid Draper, a hard-running mid with burst power, or Jagga, or even Langford provided he tests okay for speed. I'd be happy with any of them as long as we get Finn first.

I like Xavier Lindsay and would be rapt if he slips to the second round. Smart, skillful midfielder who can play wing or halfback as well. I like Armstrong, Kako, Gross, Urquhart, Dodson (will go top-10 methinks), Nicholls, Shanahan, the Whitlocks, Charleson, Berry, Champion, Gerreyn, Ough, Travaglia, Tauru, Bowman, Herbert and others from the second round on.

There are plenty of players to like in this draft. I currently love five.
Yeah I like Lalor too but our midfield is allready so slow

I may be wrong, but is compo based on net loss v net gain? So if we lose Graham AND Dusty to free agency, I think they treat this is 4 x $550k (Graham) + 2 x $700k (Dusty) = 2 x $1.25m + 2 x $550k for players 26yo and 33yo with 5 x flags.

That’s assuming we don’t bring anyone else in as a free agent to dilute the compo. If that gets us an end of first, then it’s a good result for the club. Maybe McIntosh as an UFA can leave as well on 2 x $350k somewhere to guarantee us an end of first? Or imagine a pick after our first pick for losing those 3 x players, giving us picks #1 and #2 …

That won't happen. When they talk about net loss v net gain, it's to do with losing players v gaining players via free agency.

There will.be separate compo picks for each free agent we lose. There could be a situation where we lose 3 players to free agency but bring in a free agent. The AFL would then decide based on who we lose and gain if we keep all our compo or lose part of it.

Yeah it’s not a net loss system, they don’t bundle up your leaving free agents and give you one pick. You get a pick for each

In that case it will be 3rd rounder for Martin … if we are lucky, as he’s 33yo and age comes into their formula.

And Graham would be an end of second, as he’s 26yo and will get a 3-4 year deal.

But if we are losing Dusty, Baker… plus Grimes and maybe a few others to retirement, I honestly think the club will try to retain Graham, as he’s obviously a senior figure at the club (I don’t agree with retaining him, just saying what I think will happen to ensure we don’t lose too many experienced heads).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I like Lalor too but our midfield is allready so slow
Haven’t heard or read that he’s slow , or seen enough to suggest that.
I’ve read that he can explode out of stoppages.
I’m not saying you’re wrong ( the combine will sort that out) , but I think he’d be a good addition. With our midfield depth ( or lack of it) we need a variety of midfielders. I know we recruited Taranto and Hopper, but already the latter is spending more time in the medical room than on the ground.
Lalor is a good mark also, saw some footage earlier in the year against older players where he was really clunking them.

That won't happen. When they talk about net loss v net gain, it's to do with losing players v gaining players via free agency.

There will.be separate compo picks for each free agent we lose. There could be a situation where we lose 3 players to free agency but bring in a free agent. The AFL would then decide based on who we lose and gain if we keep all our compo or lose part of it.
This is my understanding also.

I'll say this again - If Dusty goes to GC, he will not do so unless RFC are well compensated. Not via AFL compensation. Not at his current market value, but above it. He will not walk away as an unrestricted free agent.

Gold Coast have 8 and 10. If we got 10 and gave something back I can see it working for all parties.

Some of the geniuses in here will jump up and down and say he's not worth pick 10. No shit sherlock. But he's worth pick 10 to GC.

The Mensa candidates calling me crazy need to have a long think about it in between filling out their Mensa applications.

Gold Coast are a different beast and have to trade differently to established clubs.
Ask yourself - do GC need a pick 10 kid that probably won't play for 2 - years or do they want publicity and the Dusty show for 2 years?
They also have more academy players and early picks might get eaten up.

You also have to remember that GC traded out pick 7 and Bowes to Geelong for salary cap space in exchange for A 3RD ROUND PICK just 2 years ago.
Now are the Mensa candidates going to jump up and down, laugh and scream and say that Jack Bowes isn't worth pick 7?

GC also traded (years ago) pick 3 to Freo for Lachie Weller because he wanted to come to the GC. Terrible deals for them but deals they had to do.

I'm not saying and have never said I'm always right, unlike some in here. Let's see what happens. You might just be surprised.

I'll say this again - If Dusty goes to GC, he will not do so unless RFC are well compensated. Not via AFL compensation. Not at his current market value, but above it. He will not walk away as an unrestricted free agent.

Gold Coast have 8 and 10. If we got 10 and gave something back I can see it working for all parties.

Some of the geniuses in here will jump up and down and say he's not worth pick 10. No shit sherlock. But he's worth pick 10 to GC.

The Mensa candidates calling me crazy need to have a long think about it in between filling out their Mensa applications.

Gold Coast are a different beast and have to trade differently to established clubs.
Ask yourself - do GC need a pick 10 kid that probably won't play for 2 - years or do they want publicity and the Dusty show for 2 years?

You also have to remember that GC traded out pick 7 and Bowes to Geelong for salary cap space in exchange for A 3RD ROUND PICK just 2 years ago.
Now are the Mensa candidates going to jump up and down, laugh and scream and say that Jack Bowes isn't worth pick 7?

GC also traded (years ago) pick 3 to Freo for Lachie Weller because he wanted to come to the GC. Terrible deals for them but deals they had to do.

I'm not saying and have never said I'm always right, unlike some in here. Let's see what happens. You might just be surprised.

Stephen Colbert Smile GIF

Gold Coast won't trade for Dusty. So will be an end of second or third round compo pick if he signs there.

Dusty doesn't owe the club anything, he can do whatever he wants IMO.

In that case it will be 3rd rounder for Martin … if we are lucky, as he’s 33yo and age comes into their formula.

And Graham would be an end of second, as he’s 26yo and will get a 3-4 year deal.

But if we are losing Dusty, Baker… plus Grimes and maybe a few others to retirement, I honestly think the club will try to retain Graham, as he’s obviously a senior figure at the club (I don’t agree with retaining him, just saying what I think will happen to ensure we don’t lose too many experienced heads).

Aren't there 5 compensation bands for free agents?

Band 1 rd 1 - ie immediately after your first round pick.

Band 2 end of rd 1 - self explanatory

Band 3 rd 2 - ie immediately after your rd 2 pick

Band 4 end of rd 2 - self explanatory

Band 5 - rd 3 - ie after your rd 3 pick

Posters including yourself seem to me to be leaping from Band 2 to Band 4 as if Band 3 doesn't exist. Brandon Ellis got us Band 3 compensation, but because we won the flag it ended up being a pick in the mid 40's. His contract from memory was 5 years x $575k BUT this was right near the top of the Band 3 compensation range. So a contract of say $475k pa might have attracted the same compo. So given the cap has increased roughly 25% from then, band 3 compensation might be triggered by a roughly $600k x 3 years offer. Band 3 compensation for us this year would be immediately after our Rd 2 pick. This is likely to be about pick 26 before the academy bids are inserted.

So let's just say for argument's sake Graham gets a $600k x 3 years offer and this is band 3 compensation, and (whilst speculating wildly) Dusty goes to Suns as a free agent for $750k x 2 years and this is band 4 compensation. Say pick 26 and pick 43.

And let's just say this was independent of any other pick trading for the minute. Richmond takes those 2 picks and trades them for say pick 18 with Carlton who might expect a bid for one of the Camporeales to fall between picks 18 and 26. Or some deal like that.

So that is the way in theory both Graham and Dusty leaving could be converted into 1 first round pick.

FFS man, you are on your own here. I cant help you.

You did this to yourself, remember that.

Hynes produced an excellent performance in Vic Country's second Champs outing. Playing in his typical medium forward role with occasional stints through the middle, he presented as a marking target all around the ground and drew the footy like a magnet. He was effective at stoppage with his size and strength and capped off his day by snapping a couple of nice goals, the last at a critical moment in the fourth quarter.

How freaky would it be if Richmond went totally left field and accumulated all these draft picks as per rumours
and took 8/9 kids in this years draft under pick 40

The commentators at the draft will be blowing their loads
We have never seen this type of rebuild before , Richmond has totally demolished the draft and something needs to be done
How can a dynasty team be allowed to do this. Purple will choke and have a hear attack
Sheehan will be saying 8 out of the 9 kids will be all Australian

Not to mention Karen Kornes
Richmond are cheating the system

Back