Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hanging out to see the metres gained stat from all these elite mids at the end of the championships.
It’s something missing from our midfield. Apart from Bolton who wins the ball and breaks the lines ( used to be Dusty).
Obviously best available P1 but after that this type of player/s should be a focus for us

Sid Draper had 23 touches and 11 tackles in SANFL seniors on weekend.

Smillie should play VFL imo.
With our injuries in the AFL/VFL programs I'm surprised a few of the U18s kids haven't been called in.

Imagine the carry on though if Smith and Smillie were to line up for us then we drafted either

Saw a few glimpses of something special in FOS yesty.

Safe pick.

We need to somehow get our hands on a KPF inside the top 15

Let them spend a season learning from Lynch, before he finishes up.

Agree with the above. When people talk about holding Rioli/Bakes ect it makes me realise they don't understand just how bad we are going to be. Those players will make no difference so trade them for first rounders.
When people talk about player making non difference it makes me realise they only view players value terms of 'will they individually help us win a game'. There's more to just how many wins they would help us get on the field next year.

While they may be worth looking into for a trade, it has to also be looked at in terms of leadership, experience and culture. We are already having massive struggles with leadership so losing Rioli and Baker will put us even further into that hole.

Same for the culture standpoint. We turned our culture around when Dimma came along steadily before a massive switch in 2016. We are real worry of losing the completely with Peggy, Gale, Dimma gone along with the team leaders and players that carried that. Who do we have left to carry that on? To pass down the mentality, the training standards, the culture of not taking it too seriously to the next gen?

There's more to look at than just how many more or less wins will we have next year without those guys. We're in danger of going into a North level wilderness with no leaders and no one in the club that was actually around from the last period of success to continue that. Massive reason why Hawks fell away when all those guys finished off after the flags while a team like Geelong were lucky to have a guy like Selwood come by so young during their flags so he could lead the team for another decade after and continue to that culture.

In my opinion, FOS is the best pure and balanced mid in this class. In terms of pure midfield craft, I’d have Smillie probably fourth or fifth in this class.

But it’s all about trying to project an AFL role. The size and skill level of Smillie through the midfield is a rarity, although I’m concerned he doesn’t have that burst of pace that high end mids have.

But that ability to also go forward and be a genuine target is worth a hell of a lot these days with capped rotations. Goal kicking mids are the Golden Ticket in modern footy.

I’d say the ceiling is higher on Smillie over FOS, but the floor is also lower.
To be a genuine forward target you have to be able to mark.

Agreed. Smillie has a few weaknesses that need development. Can we fix them? No idea. At VM he hasn't been keeping his feet, that should be a relatively easy fix. Can we improve his overhead marking? Then you've got a weapon.
He can't mark and he doesn't keep his feet at Coates level either.

Berry is a very classy player and great skills, but I think Kako has more upside. He’s so dynamic and explosive over 15-20 m, hits contests like Pickett (Kysaiah) and Cameron
True but Berry averaging 3 goals a game

To be a genuine forward target you have to be able to mark.

He can't mark and he doesn't keep his feet at Coates level either.

He’s shows more than enough nouse in leading patterns (stood out in wet conditions against the Allies) inside forward 50 to indicate he can be a resting forward target in my eyes.

Although I agree that he could be better overhead and he goes to ground too easily; these are by no means traits that can’t be improved and developed once in an AFL system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure most of the top picks get a game or two as the 23rd man in the VFL

I remember Clayton Oliver playing really well for us in the VFL before he got drafted

Surely Sam Davidson finds his way onto our list at the end of the year.
I still wonder why the club didn’t announce the Grimes retirement earlier. Everyone knew he’d struggle to play again this year and that was evident with him not being listed on the injury list for multiple weeks prior to the retirement.

We could have listed Davidson on a 6 month contract and then made the decision at the end of the year. Looks like now tho, with his constant rise we will be fighting multiple teams to get him and may have to use a higher pick than initially thought.

Our jumper number list is going to look dramatically different next year.
2,3,4,8,9 all avaliable...

Maybe Miller to #2?
no one else is worthy of the other numbers yet tbh.

I still wonder why the club didn’t announce the Grimes retirement earlier. Everyone knew he’d struggle to play again this year and that was evident with him not being listed on the injury list for multiple weeks prior to the retirement.

We could have listed Davidson on a 6 month contract and then made the decision at the end of the year. Looks like now tho, with his constant rise we will be fighting multiple teams to get him and may have to use a higher pick than initially thought.

Has he retired yet tho? they announced his year is over, but he hasnt actually retired.

It's hard to believe that after living through the Tarrant (1 year too many) situation, they legit did it again a year later with Grimes. If the club was mainly giving him the extra year to reward his career, they should have retired him, with pay back in round 4-5. Some of the obvious calls they have fked up of late, and all the small gains we have missed from them are adding up

Has he retired yet tho? they announced his year is over, but he hasnt actually retired.

It's hard to believe that after living through the Tarrant (1 year too many) situation, they legit did it again a year later with Grimes. If the club was mainly giving him the extra year to reward his career, they should have retired him, with pay back in round 4-5. Some of the obvious calls they have fked up of late, and all the small gains we have missed from them are adding up
I was wondering the same, could it be they are desperately trying to get him a farewell game and saving the announcement for that?

That’s impressive
When you’re pulling out performances like that against seasoned/ bigger bodies, it’s just another box recruiters can tick off.
He’ll be gone unfortunately before our 2nd pick.
Draper will go top 5.

He’s shows more than enough nouse in leading patterns (stood out in wet conditions against the Allies) inside forward 50 to indicate he can be a resting forward target in my eyes.

Although I agree that he could be better overhead and he goes to ground too easily; these are by no means traits that can’t be improved and developed once in an AFL system.
Yeah, I dunno.

Back