Training Report 18-1-2005

Remove this Banner Ad

rooboy said:
Thanks for the fantastic report Stiffy. It is great to have the opportunity to know what's going on when I live in Bris.
I'm sorry to also keep asking questions, but can you tell me how Rutten was going, as I really hope he holds down FB this year enabling Basset etc. to not have to stand the monsters.
Ask away mate. Happy to help :)

Rutten did well in the forward line entry drills. He was opposed to Welshy in the drills. Welshy got away a couple of times thanks to a couple of really good screens set by Hudson. When a forward set a screen like that then the defenders switch their players (Very similar to basketball), so Bassett was opposed to Welsh at the time. In one on one contests he wore Welshy (who has bulked up) like a glove.

He is still kicking hospital ball. He needs to address this. He was one of the best kicks when he joined the club but has gone downhill since. He should hold FB for us as there are no other real candidates.

Hudson or Watts resting in the pocket :confused: That'd sure stretch the defences

I like the intensity of Hudson. He's a real scrapper who gives his all.
Gee it would be good for Biglands and Hudson to be fighting for the second ruck spot.

Although Im not as critical of Biglands as most of you people, I do think he should be aware that Hudson will get a gig if his performances warrant it over Biglands - I get the impression Craig would have no qualms in letting Rhett know this...but of course Im only guessing :cool:

noddy said:
As per usual another great training report to digest. :)

Stiffy my concern is not about any particular player but the overall fitness of the group on the whole.

Are we sacrificing our level of fitness at this time of the year for the skill/tactics side of it or are we still maintaining a level of fitness that will not put us behind the 8 ball when the season proper begins, ???
Noddy the overall fitness of the players looks good. Craigy has them using the full length of the ground for all the drills with the forward line entry and kick outs. I would say players cover a fair bit og kilometers in the training session.

The session started at 3. I left at 5:20 and they still were carrying on. Sessions usually go for 2.5 to 3 hours each and the drills are designed so that players stillmaintain a good fitness despite not doing as much running.

Apparently the players were given extra couple of weeks off after the season. They were all given programs to get fitter. By all the reports players came back very fit. I don't see any fall in fitness at this stage but we will know better when the games come around.

topjars said:
Hudson or Watts resting in the pocket :confused: That'd sure stretch the defences
In the first lot of players Hudson and Welsh were playing out of the square while Watts was doing practicing drills.

When the groups swapped over Watts took Welshy's position in the goal square while Welshy went to practice tackling.

Have to admit that Watts/Hudson Combo against McGregor and Meesen respectively looked far more dangerous than the Welsh/Hudson combo against Rutten and Bassett respectively.

Stiffy_18 said:
I am not sure mate. This was my first session and I don't know what they do the other days of training.

We did pretty much what Craig said we were doing (Kicking and handballing techniques, Forward line entry, goal kicking and Kick ins) in his radio interview. Maybe the likes of macca23 and others that have been to other training sessions can fill us in if the squad is doing any different drills than the ones they did yesterday.

Mondays and Thursdays are the 2 best training days days to watch, because you get to see the full repertoire with all players taking part. Friday is a waste of time as it's just goal-kicking.

ON Monday and Thursdays they practice the two game plans. One where they attack from FB with a quick burst down the corridor - the Blight running game - and the other the one where they are held up and have to hold, hold, hold until the safe lead comes - the one that Port do so well.

Nice report Stiff.....sounds like the drills are pretty similar to the ones I've seen...interesting your observation that Watts had a good session...the couple I've seen he has been fairly sluggish so good news.
Sounds like quite a few players didn't take part....did NC have his scaffolding up with the camera on it taping the forward entries ??

Thanks again Stiff

I went to training last Thursday at Max Basheer, and i couldn't believe the amount of weight that Welshy has put on! Now maybe it was just my eyes, or the fact i havent seen the boys for a while, but does anyone else that has been to training think he looks fitter, bigger and stronger than last year????

i took some photos with my digi, but i wouldnt have the faintest idea how to upload photos on this site...

macca23 said:
Mondays and Thursdays are the 2 best training days days to watch, because you get to see the full repertoire with all players taking part. Friday is a waste of time as it's just goal-kicking.

ON Monday and Thursdays they practice the two game plans. One where they attack from FB with a quick burst down the corridor - the Blight running game - and the other the one where they are held up and have to hold, hold, hold until the safe lead comes - the one that Port do so well.
I will need to go either on Monday or Thursday to see what else they are doing :)

Anyone know when the Crows will have the internal trial?

Mad Dog said:
Nice report Stiff.....sounds like the drills are pretty similar to the ones I've seen...interesting your observation that Watts had a good session...the couple I've seen he has been fairly sluggish so good news.
Sounds like quite a few players didn't take part....did NC have his scaffolding up with the camera on it taping the forward entries ??

Thanks again Stiff
There was a camera behind the goal in the stands at Norwood Oval when the forward line entry and kick on drills were done

Stinger... said:
I went to training last Thursday at Max Basheer, and i couldn't believe the amount of weight that Welshy has put on! Now maybe it was just my eyes, or the fact i havent seen the boys for a while, but does anyone else that has been to training think he looks fitter, bigger and stronger than last year????
He looks a lot bigger to me as well but we might be on something strong :p

Good report Stiffy.

I had a 20 minute look at training on Monday morning and there were a lot fewer on the sidelines - probably 7 or 8 players.

I know it's early days for him but Van Berlo looks a gem. He needs to bulk up but he moves beautifully and has great skills - I can't help but think he will have a long and impressive AFL career. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays games for us this year.

Stiffy_18 said:
He looks a lot bigger to me as well but we might be on something strong :p
Maybe it's his flashy red and white boots :D

Welshy definitely looks bigger to me as well, as does Benny Hart. I stood next to him and he is a lot bigger than he used to be.

Stiffy_18 said:
There was a camera behind the goal in the stands at Norwood Oval when the forward line entry and kick on drills were done

I heard NC talk about this. He intends to take videos of goal kicking practice
and repeat to the players their weaknesses coming into the forward lines.
Perhaps some of them might finally get the message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fergus said:
Good report Stiffy.

I had a 20 minute look at training on Monday morning and there were a lot fewer on the sidelines - probably 7 or 8 players.

I know it's early days for him but Van Berlo looks a gem. He needs to bulk up but he moves beautifully and has great skills - I can't help but think he will have a long and impressive AFL career. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays games for us this year.

Again the gospel according to NC is that he was never and I repeat never seen a young guy who's football skills is equal to his aerobic capacity. So this early stage I would image you could pencil him in for some early games.

Stinger... said:

i took some photos with my digi, but i wouldnt have the faintest idea how to upload photos on this site...

Great to hear that Welshy has bulked up. I still cling to the hope he can crack the 50 goal mark in a season.

Thanks for the report Stiffy; although you only saw Trent for a moment, how much has he muscled up in your opinion?

Fergus said:
Maybe it's his flashy red and white boots :D

Welshy definitely looks bigger to me as well, as does Benny Hart. I stood next to him and he is a lot bigger than he used to be.

Och, those boots. They were the only thing I could see when I looked down to see what was going on in the goalsquare, seriously.
Yep for sure. I was there yesterday and he definitely looks bigger. I mentioned it to Mum who was having trouble trying not to stare at Rhett Biglands.
I noticed Skip kept talking to the coaches/trainers whenever there was a break too.

OK or maybe he was talking about how to improve himself as a player- what he was doing wrong, the weather, what was on TV that night or how long to cook a lamb roast. Mmm roast lamb.

Stiffy_18 said:
Reilly - All class. Skills first class and his delivery to the forwards was sensational.

How is brent travelling bulked up alot the last i saw of him. Has he gotten much bigger and stronger over the pre season. Do you think he will play most games next year for the crows? He has always been a magnificently skilled player i didnt think it would take him so long to get a game in the 1s. Honestly thought he would get delisted when he was playing 2s at sturt.

colbys_kid said:
Stiffy_18 said:
Reilly - All class. Skills first class and his delivery to the forwards was sensational.

How is brent travelling bulked up alot the last i saw of him. Has he gotten much bigger and stronger over the pre season. Do you think he will play most games next year for the crows? He has always been a magnificently skilled player i didnt think it would take him so long to get a game in the 1s. Honestly thought he would get delisted when he was playing 2s at sturt.

Reilly physically looks a treat and is training accordingly - a real stand-out.

Now that the oppressive tyrant, Gary Hitler is no longer there to hold back his development, I expect Reilly's career to really blossom and his class to really shine.

McLeod23 said:
Great to hear that Welshy has bulked up. I still cling to the hope he can crack the 50 goal mark in a season.

Thanks for the report Stiffy; although you only saw Trent for a moment, how much has he muscled up in your opinion?
Not a lot mate. Some 2-3 kgs of muscle. He had a short sleeve top on so it was hard to see whether he was bigger in bicepts but he looked more solid accross the shoulders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Report 18-1-2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Back