MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked up the degoey bump from last year. The AFL wanted 4 weeks but the tribunal only gave him 3 because of his “remorse” and the “outside noise” of the media discussing it had already added to his punishment. They literally make up whatever bullshit narrative they want.
That De goey bump was way worse, If Houston’s is 5 then the De goey one should’ve been double

Laura Kane shut up shop a few weeks ago explaining good and bad umpiring decision. Think she stopped for 1 or 2 weeks then went on holiday and hasn't said anything since she got back.

Imagine administering a professional sporting competition that runs for 30/52 weeks of the year and deciding to go on holidays during the 30 weeks rather than the other 22. What is wrong with this league lol.

There seem to have been two bits of information that were brought up for the first time by the tribunal that weren’t mentioned before the case began. The first is that Rankine sustained an ACJ injury, the second is that the contact was to the neck as well as the shoulder.

Both these bits of information indicate that the initial contact was higher than the top of the shoulder, and thus met the definition of high impact. Without these, there is no other evidence that points to high contact.

An ACJ injury happens with forceful impact concentrated entirely on the point of the shoulder. It would be difficult if not impossible for such contact to also hit his neck. And if the contact to the ACJ did hit another part of his body, it would absorb some of the force of the contact to the ACJ, making a significant ACJ injury far less likely.

The Adelaide doctor also wasn’t asked to specify the nature of the injury, which could range from light bruising to dislocation. The implication that an ACJ injury indicated high contact was allowed to stand unquestioned.

Nor did the AFL have to indicate where on the neck the contact was. Houston hit Rankine from front on. The tribunal did seem to be satisfied that the initial contact didn’t hit Rankine in the head. So did it hit him on the side of the neck?

If we could get the penalty down to four weeks by arguing that there is no evidence that the initial contact was high, that would at least open the possibility of Houston playing in the GF. As well as providing huge incentive to the rest of the team to get there for Houston.

Would also have to argue that any player expecting to only be tackled running back with the flight of the ball in a non marking contest has to expect to have body contact and cannot expect to be tackled until they fuly have control of the ball.

Given the way Rankine is attempting to gather the ball you can see that he is fully expecting body contact but instead of going side on has gone front on. That's poor technique and does not give the other player much choice facing Rankine's elbows. Or in other words how any players look to take a player on front on? Attempting to break a tackle or burst through opponents it is always side on when both hands are on the ball.

This is not a marking contest. The ball was in the air and not in possession right up until this moment.

Rankine has done everything you should not do in this situation. Left the ground, elbows away from body, front on to the ball, then proceeded to land flat footed on both feet completely unprotected for any form of contact, tackle or otherwise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240821_102321_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240821_102321_Samsung Internet.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 21
The whole tribunal process is broken.

With every case you get the afl arguing on what their perception of the intent of the player is in a split second moment.

The only person who knows that is the player themselves, who they often choose not to believe.

100% Dan was trialled by media and they have a massive influence in this matter. Patty Cripps can knock someone out a Saints players out this week with a steel chair WWE style and he would still get off and the media would water it down like they have in the past.

Happened in real time during a Port-GWS game a few years ago.

Serial recidivist Shane Mumford got one of our guys high and it was “huehuehue Big Mummy so clumsy, what a goofball!”.

The otherwise unscrupulously fair and clean Brad Ebert got one of their guys high and it triggered a cavalcade of Zapruder-tier replays replete with stern commentary about how he’s “in trouble” and will “have a case to answer”.

It’s an uneven clownshow that sets the tone at a level that just doesn’t occur in any other sport.

Despite lots of attempts from Whateley, Razor is pretty steadfast that there was no free against Houston on the night and that was the right call.

From about 2:45 in.

To add to the evidence of Gerards stupidity, he includes Sam Powell Pepper as an example this year of when the send of rule was clearly appropriate. Its clear to me there are journo types that simply have no feel for the game and should stick to calling horses.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mixed year for appeals so far.

Heeney couldn't save his Brownlow on additional appeal...

But Charlie Country Cringe Cameron was able to get out of suspension TWICE for good bloke syndrome so who knows.

I have no idea why we, and to some extent clubs in general, are so submissive in the tribunal.

The AFL treats it like a murder trial and we treat it like a high school debate. I would love to see us directly challenge some of the statements made.

If the AFL are so comfortable about contact being made to the 'upper shoulder' then prove it. I haven't seen any videos that suggest that. The umpires at the ground didn't see it that way.

What is the charge. Where is the evidence. This is democracy manifest!

Can’t help but get the impression that Dan just wants this to be over and done with, and not examined in forensic detail. Can’t really blame him for that. But there are certainly some issues that need further attention, and if it does result in Dan playing in a GF, hopefully on the winning side, it would be well worth it for him to go through the further stress and media pile-on. Not least to show up the duplicity of the AFL in arranging the “evidence” so that it just so happens that the penalty puts the rest of the season, including an possible GF, out of Dan’s reach.

I'd be exploring Adelaides medical report which indicated an AC injury. Having copped a couple over the years, they were always when I got hit at the corner of the shoulder and had my shoulder forced back.. that suggests his contact was away from the head a bit.

These tribunals always feel very kangaroos court these days .. thE AFL counsel comies in and says "this is where contact was" and there seems to be no ability to force them to prove it, or even to disprove that.

I still think we will fail - as the head knocks are more about optics therse days than the letter of the law (what even is the top part of the shoulder and ow far out does it go), but its good to have a crack.

PS -> Razor also did dispel Rucci's false notion that he couldnt hit him front on, as it wasnt a marking contest, and he didn't have his head over the ball.

If the AFL are so comfortable about contact being made to the 'upper shoulder' then prove it. I haven't seen any videos that suggest that. The umpires at the ground didn't see it that way.

I would actually like to have video forensics with split camera angles, showing frame by frame to prove or disprove it. Or maybe Laura can invest in microchips in players shoulders.
But no doubt if it was shown that there was no illegal contact they will fall back on the "his head hit the ground and you are responsible so we still get to pick the number"

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back