Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
The under 18's is the biggest, mickey mouse bullshit competition in Victoria.

Although it proves to be more convenient to a heap of snivelling boffins at the AFL but all this leauge does is to rip up the best young talent out of surburban and country football.

For example, my team Tatura in the goulburn valley comp has lost 5 players to the Murray Busrangers as 15 year olds who have only played in our reserves team.

The irony here is that they play just to be seen but if the clubs did what they used to do and recruit directly from the leauges, not only will they have players that have cut their teeth in fair dimkum football, but are more mentally ready to play A.F.L.

They are playing not to get hurt in the current VFL UNDER 18'S and I think that's the reason why these young men don't for the most part hit the ground running.

yeah interesting

In Tasmania the Mariners side in the TAC Cup is usually blamed for taking all the good young players out of the local competitions.

Since the Mariners have been playing in the U18's the whole viability of what was once a footballing powerhouse has gone down the gurgler.

I wonder if the new Tasmanian VFL side will kill off local footy in Tasmania for good.

very, very sad if it does.

cheers

you couldnt be further from the truth

ok, i admit the u18's comp does take players away from local comps but for a very good reason

its takes the best young talent, brings it together and enables these young kids to develop their game properly, with better coaches, facilties etc

there is no doubt if these kids are good enough they would be drafted without the u18 comp, but this ensures they are ready to play afl football by competing at a high level while developing their skills, strength, footy smarts under the guidence of high quality coaches, something which cant be done at the same levels back at their local clubs

Originally posted by Wayde Petersen:
The under 18's is the biggest, mickey mouse bullshit competition in Victoria.
For example, my team Tatura in the goulburn valley comp has lost 5 players to the Murray Busrangers as 15 year olds who have only played in our reserves team.

But if those players are any good they will be taken, regardless of whether it's through the U/18 comp or drafting directly from the leagues. If they can play they will be taken. Not all of them make it mind you, so I'm sure some go back to their original clubs to continue footy.
Personally, I think the U/18 comp has been one of the best things to happen to footy in the past decade.

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06 April 2001).]

Wayde, you talk rubbish.
In the past each VFL club had U/19s and even junior squads that was doing just what the u/18s are doing now, that is, taking the best junior talent from the local and country comps and developing them.
There is no difference.

I know that they had junior squads but back in the days of zoning, Melbourne ( who had the Goulburn Valley ) kept an eye on the recruits but they only uprooted them when neccesary.

But what really gets me is that Victorian players HAVE to go throgh the V.F.L (which hasn't been any good since the days of Harold Martin, Phil Cleary and "Frosty" Miller back in the V.F.A in the seventies) and the under 18's to be given a shot at the draft.

That is absolute crap, because there have been players such as Anderw Thompson from the amateurs and Guy Rigoni from Myrtleford, that fell through the cracks and were "smokies" that really payed off.

And another thing, Gary Ablett spent his time at Myrtleford after he left Hawthorn, if this happened today, he would have been out on his arse because nowadays, when your 19 or over, you have next to no chance of being picked up if you haven't got A.F.L experience.

And one last thing, when you read any player profile to see where they were recruited from, you will read Eastern Rangers and so on without giving the grass roots clubs any recognition for teaching him the fundamentals, so these artificial clubs get all the credit for this players development when they were only a finishing school at best.

You'd be suprised how many really good players are missed by the Under 18s scouts. There are some players I know that cant play for shit and have made it to the Western Jets and others who can actually play that have missed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 18's, a parasite to football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back