News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess having the 5th most goals over the last 10 years helps... and he’s good mates with Hawkins so hopefully they can work well together. I don’t think Tex really wanted to play this game, but with guys like Buddy injured then who else would you pick?

Ben Brown, J Kennedy, Darling all injured doesn't help.

Aaron Naughton assuming wasn't made available.

Alex Sexton to me is underrated and would have been a better pick from Gold Coast than Weller. Swapping him for Tex. Would have even considered Josh Bruce.

Tex over the last two years is very different to Tex of the 8 years prior I would suggest.

2 time premiership captain Cotchin you mean, overrated
Glad you picked Kreuzer then
Playing in a premiership doesn't lift your individual standing. Plenty of great players haven't been fortunate enough to be part of a collective that wins a premiership. Cotchin didn't get picked because he was 1 out of 22 players who collectively won a premiership. He was supposed to be picked on his individual skill as a midfielder. On that measurement alone, he is not up to the same standard. He is a solid midfielder but not a star. Just good guy Cotch who gives his mates high fives and who everyone adores.

could add 99% of Carlton players in the last 10 years in that category of solid but no premierships then
Save the laughs for the Blues forums

Not really the point. The team was supposed to be compromised of the best footballers in the league if available.

Cotchin is token selection, and plenty of modern guns should feel slighted by being bypassed in favour of him.

Alex Sexton to me is underrated and would have been a better pick from Gold Coast than Weller. Swapping him for Tex. Would have even considered Josh Bruce.

Tex over the last two years is very different to Tex of the 8 years prior I would suggest.

Kennedy was available he wasn't selected.Only Eagles on an injury break are McGovern and Darling.

Not really the point. The team was supposed to be compromised of the best footballers in the league if available.

Cotchin is token selection, and plenty of modern guns should feel slighted by being bypassed in favour of him.

the point I'm tying to make is it's an blight on the CFC list that not one player is good enough to get picked for the Vic side, not ONE!!!!
Green shoots maybe?, which players are better do you think?
Cotchin is a hack, make you feel better about my first sentence?
and don't give me the line that you don't want your players to be hurt in an nothing game, when you post the SOO team was supposed to be compromised of the best footballers in the league if available.

Says the guy who can't comprehend the words: "State of Origin."

And your whinging more than anyone on this thread sunshine.

On you get then.

This is my favourite post in this thread! :rolleyes:

We have a self proclaimed DOCTOR complaining that someone can’t comprehend the words “State of Origin”, yet in the same post get his ‘you’re/yours’ confused.

... and you’re whinging;)

Playing in a premiership doesn't lift your individual standing. Plenty of great players haven't been fortunate enough to be part of a collective that wins a premiership. Cotchin didn't get picked because he was 1 out of 22 players who collectively won a premiership. He was supposed to be picked on his individual skill as a midfielder. On that measurement alone, he is not up to the same standard. He is a solid midfielder but not a star. Just good guy Cotch who gives his mates high fives and who everyone adores.

that's just wrong, Dimma is coach yes? and he picked the Vic team yes? Horse picked the Allies yes?
what actually is the criteria/standard for star mid?
40 possies a game? winning a Brownlow? winning a premiership or 2? setting the benchmark at a team? having respect at a team?
the teams were picked by 2 sets of coaches, who they thought, I suppose, would give them a good shot of winning
keeping it simple all sides handed in their lists of available players and teams were selected by 2 coaching panels
look at the moment it's nothing to be ashamed of for CFC to hand in their list and ATM your players are too young or just not stars to be in the Vics
the Vic 2nd team wouldn't find a spot unfortunately, just the way it is when your a solid team with only one star (Crippa)
maybe in another 10 years, when the next SOO game gets played, your players will be stars rather than solid
honestly can't believe Eddie Betts wasn't picked along with Crippa, Eddie has star written all over him
not having a dig, just giving my honest thoughts about this one game, go Vics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that's just wrong, Dimma is coach yes? and he picked the Vic team yes? Horse picked the Allies yes?
what actually is the criteria/standard for star mid?
40 possies a game? winning a Brownlow? winning a premiership or 2? setting the benchmark at a team? having respect at a team?
the teams were picked by 2 sets of coaches, who they thought, I suppose, would give them a good shot of winning
keeping it simple all sides handed in their lists of available players and teams were selected by 2 coaching panels
look at the moment it's nothing to be ashamed of for CFC to hand in their list and ATM your players are too young or just not stars to be in the Vics
the Vic 2nd team wouldn't find a spot unfortunately, just the way it is when your a solid team with only one star (Crippa)
maybe in another 10 years, when the next SOO game gets played, your players will be stars rather than solid
honestly can't believe Eddie Betts wasn't picked along with Crippa, Eddie has star written all over him
not having a dig, just giving my honest thoughts about this one game, go Vics
I'll keep it simple. Cotchin would not be in the top ten midfielders hailing from Victoria right now. Not even close. He has been picked by Hardwick out of nothing but favoritism. I'd bloody love to see more diversity of players from different clubs being represented especially when the likes of Cotchin...aka a bog average C+ mid these days are picked. Heck I even rate Prestia on another level to golden boy Cotch.

I didn’t realise Hardwick was picking the team, so that explains it.

Sounds like there was always going to be some nepotism, but I would have much rather seen a current gun like Hugh McCluggage picked for a representative Vic team than an over-the-hill Trent Cotchin who’d be more suited to an EJ Whitten game.

the point I'm tying to make is it's an blight on the CFC list that not one player is good enough to get picked for the Vic side, not ONE!!!!
Green shoots maybe?, which players are better do you think?
Cotchin is a hack, make you feel better about my first sentence?
and don't give me the line that you don't want your players to be hurt in an nothing game, when you post the SOO team was supposed to be compromised of the best footballers in the league if available.
The vast majority of our list is under 24 years old. How many players picked for this match in general are under 24? Walsh, Dow, Setterfield, Stocker, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, Weitering, JSOS...just to name a few who in 2-3 years would be pushing for selection

I'll keep it simple. Cotchin would not be in the top ten midfielders hailing from Victoria right now. Not even close. He has been picked by Hardwick out of nothing but favoritism. I'd bloody love to see more diversity of players from different clubs being represented especially when the likes of Cotchin...aka a bog average C+ mid these days are picked. Heck I even rate Prestia on another level to golden boy Cotch.

I agree with the favouritism, as I have Prestia, Merrett etc ahead no doubt about it
as for diversity, unfortunately CFC players such as Ed Curnow, Murphy, Setterfield, SPS, Fisher, etc were not picked because they are bog average C+ mids without GF medals.
will add that CFC still seem upset about picking Krezeur, because down the track Cotchin ended up with more heart ;)
not having a dig just telling it like it is, you can't disagree surely:thumbsu:
anyways the game hopefully will be a cracker, due in no small part to the fact that Vics ended up with only one 2 x premiership captain, Brownlow bog average C+ mid
could have been worse if the selection criteria hadn't been changed

Last edited:
The vast majority of our list is under 24 years old. How many players picked for this match in general are under 24? Walsh, Dow, Setterfield, Stocker, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, Weitering, JSOS...just to name a few who in 2-3 years would be pushing for selection

hahaha stop please, your killing me:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Yeah, surprised Sexton wasn't the GC player. Kicked 39 in a really poor team as a small forward, Harbrow would have been another who could have been picked as well.

I didn’t realise Hardwick was picking the team, so that explains it.

Sounds like there was always going to be some nepotism, but I would have much rather seen a current gun like Hugh McCluggage picked for a representative Vic team than an over-the-hill Trent Cotchin who’d be more suited to an EJ Whitten game.

of course their would be nepotism, no doubt at all
in all honesty this Cotchin selection has really fired you Blues up
I would have liked for a up and coming gun like Sam Walsh, Hugh McCluggage etc to have been picked as they wouldn't look out of place
but I suppose this is a SOO game that comes around every 10 years or so, some player tickets had to be cashed in (Cotchin, Breust, Sidebottom etc)

Last edited:
This is my favourite post in this thread! :rolleyes:

We have a self proclaimed DOCTOR complaining that someone can’t comprehend the words “State of Origin”, yet in the same post get his ‘you’re/yours’ confused.

... and you’re whinging;)

What does being a doctor have to do with spelling and grammar? Have you ever read a doctors note?

Are you obsessed with me or something, princess? You are literally just finding my posts on threads and trolling.

Last edited:
I agree with the favouritism, as I have Prestia, Merrett etc ahead no doubt about it
as for diversity, unfortunately CFC players such as Ed Curnow, Murphy, Setterfield, SPS, Fisher, etc were not picked because they are bog average C+ mids without GF medals.
will add that CFC still seem upset about picking Krezeur, because down the track Cotchin ended up with more heart ;)
not having a dig just telling it like it is, you can't disagree surely:thumbsu:
anyways the game hopefully will be a cracker, due in no small part to the fact that Vics ended up with only one 2 x premiership captain, Brownlow bog average C+ mid
could have been worse if the selection criteria hadn't been changed
out of the blue... who is your avatar? he looks like a young man who fought for his country...

out of the blue... who is your avatar? he looks like a young man who fought for his country...

yeah my avatar is Richmond's Stan Judkins born 1907 and still alive here on Bigfooty
1930 Brownlow Medallist, 1932, 1934, Premiership Player
I enlisted in the Second AIF and saw action in Borneo during WW2.
After the war, I was central in establishing the VFL's thirds (Under 19) competition!

Its an all-star game so no criteria to base selection on really, but for me, the bold are dodgy/iffy selections, not that i give a shit - glad only one Carlton player got selected. Even blokes like Goldstein are probably lucky based on 2019 form.

I'm sorry, Sheppard is arguably the best mid-sized defender in the game, how can he be considered lucky?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back