Autopsy Versus Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I was listening to TRIPLE M after the match to hear the boys sing the song, hear post match interview, review etc., only to listen to Lyon whinging about how shit Melbourne was.

I would have loved to switch radio stations... but I was in the shower, so I was just stuck there listening to total rubbish. :cool:

That's what happens when you have seven changes in a week
Thank christ you provide a voice of reason among all this idiocy. Sme of you sould not be allowed near a computer.
We had the week from hell and did what wehad to do.
Some of you embarrass me.

Thank christ you provide a voice of reason among all this idiocy. Sme of you sould not be allowed near a computer.

C`mon Tug, not the only one.

Dont get the criticism of the win. Might have been a scrappy, but with almost a third of the team new it was a great effort. We have the Suns next, and with further fine tuning and tweaking should see us good to go against North and the Cheats.

That was probably one of the worst games I have ever seen in my life.

On that performance, we got no chance of playing finals. A good team would have flogged Dees by 80+.

You had a few Tugg? :D
Nope. Sober as. Just been outfor a very nice meal and then come back to see the same posters who do nothing but nit pick.
C`mon Tug, not the only one.
duly noted. I am convinced the majority who post here are under 25. We have just had the week fromabsolute hell and won, with an inexperienced mish mash team and never looked lke losing. The Richmond of old crawls up into a ball and gets reamed.

Yesus... A team with 7 changes isn't going to magically gel together and play awesome footy from the get go. Especially when those changes are all depth players. Even with all those changes we still destroyed them in every area of the ground, we just couldn't convert.

Nope. Sober as. Just been outfor a very nice meal and then come back to see the same posters who do nothing but nit pick.

duly noted. I am convinced the majority who post here are under 25. We have just had the week fromabsolute hell and won, with an inexperienced mish mash team. The Richmond of old crawls up into a ball and gets reamed.

All in all it was a good win. But did you see Dima in the box after the game. Didnt look at all happy.

If you feel the need to huff and puff after today's efforts, I hope the boss' words provides you with a bit of reassurance, he very realistically knows where the team is at, which is all that matters.

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick summed up his team's scrappy win over Melbourne when, as he was leaving his press conference, he quipped, "Sorry for the game today, you blokes."

The Tigers' 23-point victory, in which they booted a wayward 13.23, was indeed a tortuous affair.

But Hardwick was far from despondent with his team's seventh win of the season, which came three days after the club parted ways with Dan Connors and slapped a two-week suspension on emerging star Dustin Martin.

Four other regular senior players were also forced to miss the clash with the Demons due to injuries and suspensions.

"It's not often you make seven changes to a footy side and probably get the result you were after, so we're just pleased to walk away with the four points," Hardwick said.

"I think it just shows we've probably matured as a footy club. We spoke about it during the week, that it was a tough call to make but the right one.

"We don't change our stance, and I think as a footy club we've become more resilient and become better as a result."

Richmond captain Chris Newman was also proud of the way his teammates stood up after a trying few days.

"The leadership group … made sure that we were still upbeat," he said.

"To the boys' credit they were really good; they handled it really well.

"It's a really tough thing to see their teammates and their mates go through what they had during the week."

The Tigers dominated most of the key statistical areas.

They had 21 more inside-50s than the Demons and won the clearance-count 44 to 25.

But they also committed a stack of skill errors.

"We bring all those players in, guys who haven't played in the team for quite some time, and they didn't quite gel," Hardwick said.

"We just couldn't finish our work, and … it's been a common trend in the last couple of weeks - more behinds than goals.

"We were probably a bit wide at stages, but then there were some easy, gettable shots and probably a couple that we thought were goals that weren't."

With Ty Vickery out for the rest of the season due to a shoulder injury, Richmond continues to search for another tall forward to take some pressure of Jack Riewoldt.

Having dropped Todd Elton after one game, the Tigers this time started another debutant, Tom Derickx, in attack.

Derickx, a 201cm giant, won six possessions and 11 hit-outs while alternating between the forward line and the ruck.

"He competed well," Hardwick said. "He's certainly going to get better for the experience.

"We've got to find a big second target. Obviously Ty was that, but with the shoulder not coming up, we've got to find a guy that can compete.

"Probably the other positive today was [that] Lukey McGuane really, really competed well.

"He could quite easily have finished with three to four goals, but he kicked two, missed one he should've got and I think the other one he tried to handball to Jack.

"The good thing about Luke and Tommy is they bring a competitive instinct to the forward half."

The two worries for the Tigers are Matt White's high bump on Melbourne full-back James Frawley late in the last quarter, which is sure to be scrutinised by the match review panel, and key defender Ben Griffiths' calf problem.

Griffiths was subbed out of the game during the third quarter.

"He did pull up a little bit tight," Hardwick said. "We think he's going to be okay.

"We just didn't take any risks. He's had a wretched run with injuries, so as soon as they said he was getting a rub on his calf we just said, 'Let's pack him up.'"

Richmond travels to Cairns next weekend to play a 'home' game against Gold Coast.

"We went up there last year and Gold Coast rolled us, so there's a bit of fire in the belly for us to really go up there and prove that we can play away from home," Riewoldt told AFL.com.au.

"They've got so much young talent up there they can pull anything out of the bag.

"So we're going to have to be right on our A-game, and hopefully we can come away with the same result we did today."

Shit to watch. Even with a 1/3 of a new team we dominated the Dee's and squandered it with our forward entries.

We use a forward press, so be it. But all those players seem to clog our forward line up and we get bugger all return for most of our forward entries. It seems clear from the first few games that the setup was designed to force turnovers and then use our 3 talls to take overhead marks but it's worked really badly all year.

Every other team seems to get by with a couple of players playing in the the forward half. By the time we handball backwards and then forwards both teams are waiting in the goal square. Most of our shots on goal are from bad spots, disgregarding the ones we've missed from right in front these last two games.

4 points lads, 4 points - thats what we needed from the game and thats what we got. Wasn't the best performance but was never going to be given 7 changes...

We now head up to Cairns to get the result againt the suns - a big % booster would be nice one of these days though!

All in all it was a good win. But did you see Dima in the box after the game. Didnt look at all happy.
I am in Wellington, NZ with my 12-year-old (so, no, no drinking as was alluded to before) so I have not seen a thing. And I have no problem with people saying it was a shit game etc.
All I know was that I was sitting in my room with the scores on 'refresh' and we won.
I could not be happier with my football club and the waay we have handled this week and then came out and won. I am very proud tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a great day at the footy today. Enjoyed McGuane's efforts and those of Matty White. Good to see the boys from Coburg have an impact on the result. Go Tiges.

I am in Wellington, NZ with my 12-year-old (so, no, no drinking as was alluded to before) so I have not seen a thing. And I have no problem with people saying it was a shit game etc.
All I know was that I was sitting in my room with the scores on 'refresh' and we won.
I could not be happier with my football club and the waay we have handled this week and then came out and won. I am very proud tonight.
I can't remember a worse game.

Posters who have an opinion are idiots? They should not be near a computer? And they embarrass you?

man you gotta chil !

Haven't watched the game yet as I was at a family do, but did hear the game described as the most boring abysmal uninspiring thumping ever by a Dees fan. Looking at the scoring shots it would appear to be an fairly accurate description. It would appear that we dominated play but failed to put the score on the board. Hopefully next week against the Suns we can kick straight.

never looked lke losing.

Gotta disagree, for a couple of times in the second and early third term I could easily have believed we were looking like we were going to get over run.

It was only their overwhelming poor disposal that got us out of trouble.

We won ugly but plenty of cause for concern on that performance, that is if you think we can make the 8.

Scouting out the place for next season? Can save you the trouble, cold and windy with rain.

Gotta disagree, for a couple of times in the second and early third term I could easily have believed we were looking like we were going to get over run.

It was only there overwhelming poor disposal that got us out of trouble.

We won ugly but plenty of cause for concern on that performance, that is if you think we can make the 8.
Fair enough. All I had to go by was the scores that were getting updated every 30 secs. People who saw the game have far more of an idea than me
Scouting out the place for next season? Can save you the trouble, cold and windy with rain.
sunny today and beautiful. If you call 11 degrees beautiful.

yeah not as bad as some people on here make it sounds, tough to watch but 4 points and valuable experience for all those young inclusions.

Very impressed with Mcguanes first foray forward, as dimma said could have had a few more and was competitive better than Miller :thumbsu:. Drex faded a little but was a competitor throughout. Cotch/Lids/Ivan all have seen better days. I wonder did Nahas silence some critics?

And we got 4 points! But i'm starting to think we are allergic to the 8!

A wins a win, and granted our form hasn't been as good as the first half of the year we are tonight equal 8th. If we kicked straight against Fremantle and adelaide then we could of won those games, that can be easily fixed, at least our effort is there. If we can head up to Cairns and play well, be more consistent over 4 quarters and convert our chances in front of goal, then Suddenly we have 8 wins heading back to melbourne where we get back a hungry Dustin and Axel back to play an in form kangaroos side which will be a very good win if we can knock them off. if we can do that then there should be no complaining on this board. if at the start of the year someone said by round 15, given the difficulty of our draw that we would be 7 and 7 with a percentage of 107.7, knocking off teams like hawthorn, Sydney, stkilda, I don't think there would be a Richmond supporter who wouldn't of been happy to take that outcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Versus Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back