Autopsy Versus Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

A wins a win, and granted our form hasn't been as good as the first half of the year we are tonight equal 8th. If we kicked straight against Fremantle and adelaide then we could of won those games, that can be easily fixed, at least our effort is there. If we can head up to Cairns and play well, be more consistent over 4 quarters and convert our chances in front of goal, then Suddenly we have 8 wins heading back to melbourne where we get back a hungry Dustin and Axel back to play an in form kangaroos side which will be a very good win if we can knock them off. if we can do that then there should be no complaining on this board. if at the start of the year someone said by round 15, given the difficulty of our draw that we would be 7 and 7 with a percentage of 107.7, knocking off teams like hawthorn, Sydney, stkilda, I don't think there would be a Richmond supporter who wouldn't of been happy to take that outcome

the problem for us is this problem of kicking points with high fwd 50 entries is becoming a habit. we really need to isolate what the issue is. as you have noted we could have a few more wins if we are better at this.

If you feel the need to huff and puff after today's efforts, I hope the boss' words provides you with a bit of reassurance, he very realistically knows where the team is at, which is all that matters.

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick summed up his team's scrappy win over Melbourne when, as he was leaving his press conference, he quipped, "Sorry for the game today, you blokes."

The Tigers' 23-point victory, in which they booted a wayward 13.23, was indeed a tortuous affair.

But Hardwick was far from despondent with his team's seventh win of the season, which came three days after the club parted ways with Dan Connors and slapped a two-week suspension on emerging star Dustin Martin.

Four other regular senior players were also forced to miss the clash with the Demons due to injuries and suspensions.

"It's not often you make seven changes to a footy side and probably get the result you were after, so we're just pleased to walk away with the four points," Hardwick said.

"I think it just shows we've probably matured as a footy club. We spoke about it during the week, that it was a tough call to make but the right one.

"We don't change our stance, and I think as a footy club we've become more resilient and become better as a result."

Richmond captain Chris Newman was also proud of the way his teammates stood up after a trying few days.

"The leadership group … made sure that we were still upbeat," he said.

"To the boys' credit they were really good; they handled it really well.

"It's a really tough thing to see their teammates and their mates go through what they had during the week."

The Tigers dominated most of the key statistical areas.

They had 21 more inside-50s than the Demons and won the clearance-count 44 to 25.

But they also committed a stack of skill errors.

"We bring all those players in, guys who haven't played in the team for quite some time, and they didn't quite gel," Hardwick said.

"We just couldn't finish our work, and … it's been a common trend in the last couple of weeks - more behinds than goals.

"We were probably a bit wide at stages, but then there were some easy, gettable shots and probably a couple that we thought were goals that weren't."

With Ty Vickery out for the rest of the season due to a shoulder injury, Richmond continues to search for another tall forward to take some pressure of Jack Riewoldt.

Having dropped Todd Elton after one game, the Tigers this time started another debutant, Tom Derickx, in attack.

Derickx, a 201cm giant, won six possessions and 11 hit-outs while alternating between the forward line and the ruck.

"He competed well," Hardwick said. "He's certainly going to get better for the experience.

"We've got to find a big second target. Obviously Ty was that, but with the shoulder not coming up, we've got to find a guy that can compete.

"Probably the other positive today was [that] Lukey McGuane really, really competed well.

"He could quite easily have finished with three to four goals, but he kicked two, missed one he should've got and I think the other one he tried to handball to Jack.

"The good thing about Luke and Tommy is they bring a competitive instinct to the forward half."

The two worries for the Tigers are Matt White's high bump on Melbourne full-back James Frawley late in the last quarter, which is sure to be scrutinised by the match review panel, and key defender Ben Griffiths' calf problem.

Griffiths was subbed out of the game during the third quarter.

"He did pull up a little bit tight," Hardwick said. "We think he's going to be okay.

"We just didn't take any risks. He's had a wretched run with injuries, so as soon as they said he was getting a rub on his calf we just said, 'Let's pack him up.'"

Richmond travels to Cairns next weekend to play a 'home' game against Gold Coast.

"We went up there last year and Gold Coast rolled us, so there's a bit of fire in the belly for us to really go up there and prove that we can play away from home," Riewoldt told AFL.com.au.

"They've got so much young talent up there they can pull anything out of the bag.

"So we're going to have to be right on our A-game, and hopefully we can come away with the same result we did today."

Love the response from our coach and captain...week from hell yet we got the 4 points regardless how scrappy we played
Loved the comments re Derickx and McG as both attacking and fiercely competitive...both will be better for it....look out Suns you are in for a hiding

Worst win in the last 10 years. Most sides would have beaten us due to our inaccuracy and turnovers. A real form reversal from the dismantling of Hawthorn. The highlight of that game was the disposal by foot was clinical. Today's game was nowhere near that standard. As far as the "big picture" is concerned, we have done VERY well keeping our losses against top four sides to a minimum, and these games (GWS, Melbourne and GC) are meant to add healthy margins to improve our percentage.

We got the four points, but we should have done better. Inaccuracy cost us the West coast and Essendon games. This was a game we should have won by 10 goals. Again, the main problem is accuracy in front of goal, especially in the first quarter.

I would have liked to see Griffiths in the forward line in the second half. Dea needs confidence in his kicking ability. He handballs to stationary targets too often. Morris has no fear and is the attacking defender we need moving forward. Where would this season be without Tuck ? Jack needs to lead into the corridor and not the pockets.

Happy we won playing one of the worst games in recent memory. That's all that matters. Melbourne played at VFL standard. Just terrible.

Worst win in the last 10 years. Most sides would have beaten us due to our inaccuracy and turnovers. A real form reversal from the dismantling of Hawthorn. The highlight of that game was the disposal by foot was clinical. Today's game was nowhere near that standard. As far as the "big picture" is concerned, we have done VERY well keeping our losses against top four sides to a minimum, and these games (GWS, Melbourne and GC) are meant to add healthy margins to improve our percentage.

We got the four points, but we should have done better. Inaccuracy cost us the West coast and Essendon games. This was a game we should have won by 10 goals. Again, the main problem is accuracy in front of goal, especially in the first quarter.

I would have liked to see Griffiths in the forward line in the second half. Dea needs confidence in his kicking ability. He handballs to stationary targets too often. Morris has no fear and is the attacking defender we need moving forward. Where would this season be without Tuck ? Jack needs to lead into the corridor and not the pockets.

Happy we won playing one of the worst games in recent memory. That's all that matters. Melbourne played at VFL standard. Just terrible.

Understand your frustration dude...but when you wake up tomorrow you won't be as disappointed

We got the 4 points...we had a week from hell...half our side is injured or suspended...we have players playing out of position...we will be better for it and will smash the Suns next week don't worry about that

Understand your frustration dude...but when you wake up tomorrow you won't be as disappointed

We got the 4 points...we had a week from hell...half our side is injured or suspended...we have players playing out of position...we will be better for it and will smash the Suns next week don't worry about that

Right on all fronts. Foley would have been handy, and King is an important part of our structure. I get the feeling Martin would have run into voting contention as well.

If you feel the need to huff and puff after today's efforts, I hope the boss' words provides you with a bit of reassurance, he very realistically knows where the team is at, which is all that matters.

Did you see Dima in the coaches box after the siren? Didnt seem like a bloke who was pleased with his teams efforts.

• Tom Derickx didn't exactly do much, didn't even take a mark

5 tackles, 11 hitouts, 2 frees for.. I wouldn't expect anymore from a 1st gamer, tbh mate

7 changes, a different structure and we won. Probably should check what expectations were and measure against that.

I liked the game and enjoyed the win. We changed the forward line, the defensive structure (didn't play 7 back as much) and the midfield and still won every statistical category. Over possessed at times. Tried to finesse a little too much but kick a couple of the simple missed shots and we're 17.19. Would people be making as much noise then?

Our forward structure was significantly different and worked way better. Jack played high and took contested marks. Normally he clunks virtually none vs Frawley. Today he took a few. Derrickx took Watts deep and the Dee's lost all their drive out of the defensive 50. Luke took Dunn wide and there was heaps of space. Some of the better forward set up may be due to the Dee's being in "teaching" mode and forcing an accountable one-on-one defence but we structured up our way and got the game played on our terms. That's a good thing.

The defence was very good. Batch, Morris, Griff and Rance all intercepting at times. The Dee's focus on coast to coast and do it well. They got a couple we also shut a fair few down. The midfield also did their defensive work to a large degree. Actually the few times that the midfield struggled defensively or lost their mindset/structure is when the Dee's got their little run ons. We didn't drop 7 back much and had an extra body in the midfield and it told. We won that part of the game.

Did we lose composure a bit too much ? Yeah but some of that was the changed structures and new guys in roles and not quite on the same page. Some was just "too much" and selling players into trouble. Like Dea selling Maric into trouble. Guys here have jumped on Dea. I'm going what the **** was Lids thinking. Some of it was mistakes. They happen.

Anyway given the tenor in this thread I'm in the minority.

No? He missed. Money poorly spent.

Jack is always a good bet for the first. Even at his $7-$8 lows, he's always worth a $10.
i know, it was just a joke

5 tackles, 11 hitouts, 2 frees for.. I wouldn't expect anymore from a 1st gamer, tbh mate
for a ruckman he should be taking at least a couple of marks

4 points, bring on next week. If we nailed a few of those missed goals it would have been a slaughter. Not concerned about % would rather winn the games we need to win than rely on %.

All the players played their roles. I thought DX provided some great forward pressure when he was down there, and McG was more than servicable. It's all about building depth and we are getting there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 years?? Surely you remember how bad we've been in those 10 years. A win after the siren against Melbourne for one..

We need to be realistic, we are missing 2 of our best 4 midfielders for a start, our second best forward, our best key defender. We had 13 more scoring shots than them and dominated around the ground. If we had finished a few more shots then everyone would be very happy with the performance. At the end of the day, we won. Our forward line functioned much better than it has all year and we got a lot of good looks that we just didnt finish off. World not over. Win next week and then two big weeks vs North and Carlton, hopefully with Dusty and Foley back. Just be happy with the win. The richmond of old wouldn't have won this game.

How dare you post something in here that makes total sense!!!
You may have your membership revoked for this sort of positivity.
Totally agree that after the week we had any win at all was acceptable and in the past we would have lost this one for sure

How dare you post something in here that makes total sense!!!
You may have your membership revoked for this sort of positivity.
Totally agree that after the week we had any win at all was acceptable and in the past we would have lost this one for sure
its laughable people not taking this win in its proper context .

7 changes FFS ... we cracked in and the effort was terrific . we were never going to lose .

We had to play 3-4 guys who's efforts @ Coburg were not warranting a call up at all .

I'll take Dimmas spin on it thanks ;) .. We've matured as a club and our reslience yesterday was top notch .

Aaahhh got to love sunday mornings after a Richmond win...cup of tea...toast...:)...

When all is said and done...a win is a win...and we all live to fight another day...

Anyway given the tenor in this thread I'm in the minority.

HAHAHAHa...more like a Soprano given the bellowing going on about how poor our win was against the Dees...talk about penny Operas...lol...

Still plenty of life in our season. Gotta earn a solid win against GC then face North with the return of Martin, Foley and Jackson. Hopefully Derrickx is taking some marks by then and our forward line is starting to gel. Would be nice to hit top form when we play North

Still plenty of life in our season. Gotta earn a solid win against GC then face North with the return of Martin, Foley and Jackson. Hopefully Derrickx is taking some marks by then and our forward line is starting to gel. Would be nice to hit top form when we play North
Plenty of life madness .

I reckon Richo summed things up best in the commentary of last nights game Saints v bombers .

He said that this season is the most even he has ever seen and anyone who makes it into the finals could be a chance to win the flag its that close .

Bit of luck goes our way with injuries , and we continue to crack in like we did yesterday and we are a real good chance to play finals . Our consistent effort is the best its been in many a year ;)

14 games into the season and i can genuinely say there has not been one game where we havent had a real go . When was the last time you could say that ?

its laughable people not taking this win in its proper context .

7 changes FFS ... we cracked in and the effort was terrific . we were never going to lose .

We had to play 3-4 guys who's efforts @ Coburg were not warranting a call up at all .

I'll take Dimmas spin on it thanks ;) .. We've matured as a club and our reslience yesterday was top notch .
your point would carry more weight if we didn't kick 13.23 and completely dominate stats across the board.
we need to readjust our expectations and forget what we have come to know about the tiges over many years. We are realistically (not wishfully) pushing for a top 8 spot, and Melbourne are a basket case missing some of there best players. Kick straight and its 10 goals plus, irrelevant of how many players came in.

Jack hanballing 30 out on an angel to a player on the move, and lids handballing 40 out directly infront and just to cases of when our "leaders" needed to stand up and say listen watch me slot this goal and follow my lead. not take the easier option by handballing and show that even our "leaders lack confidence infront of goal

23.13 - 151
11.12 - 78
how much better does that look!!!!

Not sure if you guys are the same but everytime Richmond win on the Friday or Saturday watching the remaining games is more enjoyable. I think this year though watching North, St Kilda and Carlton games are going to have us barracking for other teams just as hard as we would barrack for Richmond.

Plenty of life madness .

I reckon Richo summed things up best in the commentary of last nights game Saints v bombers .

He said that this season is the most even he has ever seen and anyone who makes it into the finals could be a chance to win the flag its that close .

Bit of luck goes our way with injuries , and we continue to crack in like we did yesterday and we are a real good chance to play finals . Our consistent effort is the best its been in many a year ;)

14 games into the season and i can genuinely say there has not been one game where we havent had a real go . When was the last time you could say that ?

Yeah the only games where we struggled to keep up were the first 2. But they were early in the season. We're a better side now. Been more than happy with our season although was disappointed with our game against Freo. Only had 1 loss of over 3 goals which we could have levelled 5 minutes into the last quarter :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Versus Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back