VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best thing about Mullin game, for someone playing his first AFL game, he never panicked.

There was a moment in the last quarter(?) where he got the ball in D50 traffic and had about a second to get rid of it before the 2-3 Blues around him pounced, and he executed a nice little chip kick in the blink of an eye. The composure and execution under pressure speaks volumes - reckon he'll get a senior run later this year unless something goes really wrong.

Anyone know how jhye Clark went??? 13 touches without context of position or impact.
He looked good - he's a bit of a pinball when he wins the ball in tight in that he'd bounce off tackles routinely before getting a handball away. It was a promising first game.

There was a moment in the last quarter(?) where he got the ball in D50 traffic and had about a second to get rid of it before the 2-3 Blues around him pounced, and he executed a nice little chip kick in the blink of an eye. The composure and execution under pressure speaks volumes - reckon he'll get a senior run later this year unless something goes really wrong.
That was the moment for me where I thought he looked a future afl player. First real game and he does that.

That’s surprising given he seems to be well built for an 18 year old. I thought he was mor of an accumulator but didn’t really play that role yesterday.
Although to be fair wasn’t a high possession game. A lot to like in his game though I could see him fitting in on any line at afl level.
Yeah my first look at Ted, I thought he looked ready physically, definitely a likely prospect.

Did a
Best thing about Mullin game, for someone playing his first AFL game, he never

Did a dinky little outside of the boot kick on the run rhst was impressive and nailed it..
seems a very Irish style kick but it was very effective.

Didn’t look out of place or the game rally too fast for him.

Will take time but I could see it working for him.

Go Catters

Did a

Did a dinky little outside of the boot kick on the run rhst was impressive and nailed it..
seems a very Irish style kick but it was very effective.

Didn’t look out of place or the game rally too fast for him.

Will take time but I could see it working for him.

Go Catters
I also noticed his speed (when required). Seemed to cruise and then if he needed to close someone down it seems like he had a turbo button.

He is also very solid body wise.

Will obviously take a while to round him out but good medium term prospect. He might suffer like a lot of those prospects in terms of working out who is replaces to get a game

Best thing about Mullin game, for someone playing his first AFL game, he never panicked.
The Gaelic players that switch codes are always really good at this, especially in traffic - I remember Mark O'Connor at VFL level stepping through a pack with ease. It's just the switch from a round ball to AFL ball that throws them off and then getting around tactics, rules, where they should run, and wider game plans that take them a while to adjust.

Clark looked decent and flashed well too. Played inside mid for a bit..
needs to get bigger but puts his head over it and has good skills.

Liked his first hit out.

Go Catters

One-paced. I still don't see an AFL player.
Plenty of one paced players have done us well recently. Blicavs, Menegola and Atkins to name a few. He's not going to have amazing tricks at AFL level but his running ability, overhead work and defensive game could make him a very good player. He looked much cleaner than I've seen before too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of one paced players have done us well recently. Blicavs, Menegola and Atkins to name a few. He's not going to have amazing tricks at AFL level but his running ability, overhead work and defensive game could make him a very good player. He looked much cleaner than I've seen before too.
I was really happy for Mitch as he seemed a little lost in the practise games. He was solid in first half and frankly outstanding in the third quarter.

that “one pace” is actually just constant motion when you watch him live. He is smart, hard working and team orientated too (that handball to Dempsey early in third looks simple but is elite -as was the step from Dempsey to create space when he saw mitch was going to get it). It is qtrs like the third when I can see him developing into a very strong afl player. Might he take a couple of years…probably…but very good medium term player for the cats.

We will. Dempsey too. They're the 2 that really need games and I reckon we play them in 10+ each this year. It wouldn't be a shock if one of them is in our best 22 come the end of the year.
I agree. Although if one or both are in our best 22 at year end I don’t think we are winning back to back. And that is not (meant to be) a slight on either of them. I think they could be 10 year players for us. But for Scratcher to be best 22 it means Hawks isn’t I think (don’t think we need that second ruck given blitz)...for Dempsey to be in, I think that means our forward line hasnt improved?

Options in my mind for changes from last year best 22 include bowes, Bruhn, o henry and maybe Sav, menegola and simpson. Again if we have 6 changes to best 22 we ain’t going back to back so I think the 2-4 that is possible might come out of one of those 6?

in 2024 it is a different story all together….one more pre season and they both start best 22?

That’s surprising given he seems to be well built for an 18 year old. I thought he was mor of an accumulator but didn’t really play that role yesterday.
Although to be fair wasn’t a high possession game. A lot to like in his game though I could see him fitting in on any line at afl level.
He's got the build, just doesn't have the core strength or positioning at stoppages at the moment but that will come.

I'm his biggest fan ... He's got a lot of ability.

I'm not sure what it is with Knevitt, he just looks slow with ball in hand.

He's a strange one to get any read on.

I just don't think he gets enough of the ball and isn't damaging when he gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back