2nds VFL and Rookie Draft Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 2011, the VFL team struggled badly under first year coach Tarkyn Lockyer but 2012 prospects to be hopefully more encouraging given the fast tracking of first year players being forced to play key roles after the purge of more experienced veterans like O’Bree, Fraser, Medhurst and the head coach himself the year before. I’m going to be putting my thoughts on the Collingwood listed players excluding the current best 22. Therefore VFL listed players like newly acquired Mitch Hahn will be excluded as well as this year’s Grand Final team plus Dayne Beams and Cameron Wood whom are the most logical replacements for the departing Leon Davis and Leigh Brown. The team:

B: Tyson Goldsack – Nathan Brown – Luke Rounds

I expect Goldsack to have a similar year in 2012 that he did in 2011 in that he will probably split time between both the AFL and VFL. Goldy is excellent depth and never lets the AFL team down but will always struggle to become an AFL regular when your main competitor for the 3rd tall defender role is the AFL captain Nick Maxwell.

For those supporters expecting Nathan Brown will jump straight back to AFL after a year off, I think you are sorely mistaken. Firstly Tarrant and Reid are a clear cut first choice at FB and CHB. Including Brown with these two, I think the team will be two top heavy, even allowing for the versatility of Tarrant who could swing forward. Also given Brown is coming off a major injury, the safe sensible option should be to take it slow and let Nathan get back some confidence and form in the VFL, especially for the first half of the season.

I believe this is Luke Rounds upcoming 4th year at the club and this year we saw a new role. After spending the majority of the first two years up forward and through the midfield, Rounds earned a promotion to AFL as a small defender and had a very good first game on Kangaroos skipper Brent Harvey. With Leon Davis departing, potentially there is a spot available for a small defender and Rounds could take it if he impresses in NAB Cup.

HB: Tom Young – Lachlan Keeffe – Simon Buckley

These three showed significant development in 2011 and proved that they are handy depth that can be called up by Nathan Buckley. Well except for Keefe, who proved that he is not a key forward substituting for the injured Chris Dawes. Keeffe should be returned to CHB where he can continue his development.

Young had a very strong finish to season 2011 and overtook his more experienced back flanker teammate later in the season when a senior opportunity became available due to injuries and suspension. He has got a lot of good tools and just needs a bit more experience.

I’m a fan of Simon Buckley. He’s got good size, quick and a great long kick. He can also push up from defense and be an effective winger too. Sometimes his decision making can cause fans minor heart attacks but I think his good qualities out weigh the bad. However given the emergence of Young and the return of Marty Clarke, he can’t afford to be complacent. A poor season could mean the chop at the end of the season given he has already been in the AFL system for 5 years.

C: Martin Clarke – Josh Thomas – Peter Yagmoor

Marty’s back and Collingwood paid a pretty hefty price to get him back by giving GWS their first round pick to prelist him. I don’t see him getting promoted straight to AFL like Andrew Krakouer did this year. I think he needs to start in VFL and earn any promotion. An interesting tidbit in Mick Malthouse’s new book revealed that Clarke wasn’t a fan of playing as a small defender and wanted to get more involved in the play. I think Nathan Buckley and Tarkyn Lockyer would be willing to accommodate that request by starting his 2nd Collingwood career from the wing. It will be very interesting how quick Clarke can get back to AFL and shake off the ‘rust’ after a year away.

Josh Thomas is facing a make or break season. He needs to stay away from the injury bug and string some games and consistency together. I’m looking forward to see him in 2012 and hopefully he can take some significant strides to becoming a good inside goalkicking midfielder that he showed promise in U18s. If he break down again, then he could be another unfortunate ‘Brad Dick’ situation come the end of 2012.

Peter Yagmoor was acquired in trade week from Gold Coast Suns. He’s slightly build so he will likely play outside in his first season. According to his draft profile he has elite kicking skills so hopefully we can see him stream forward from the wing in the VFL and stick a few down the FF’s throat.

HF: Brent Macaffer – Jackson Paine – Kirk Ugle

2011 was a year to forget for Macaffer and he almost lost his AFL career at the end of the season. Leon Davis shock decision to return back to WA earned Macaffer a reprieve and a one year contract. Basically because of injuries he just couldn’t get going. He can’t afford anymore injury setbacks this preseason and hopefully he can get his fitness base back and become the player we all saw play a very good role in 2010 premiership.

I’m very pleased at Jackson Paine being this team’s first pick in National draft. He is a genuine CHF that the VFL team didn’t have after Brett Eddy went down with injury. I can’t wait to see him action.

Ugle had a slow start in 2011 but I thought showed some pretty good form in the last few games of the season. After playing mainly as a forward pocket, I think this is the season we will see Ugle push forward more around the 50 and have an occasional run in the midfield.

F: Jaime Elliott – Jarrod Witts – Corey Gault

I must admit I know next to nothing on Elliott other than he hasn’t described on these boards as a Paul Medhurst type forward. If that’s the case, he should become a VFL fan favourite pretty quickly.

How long will Witts be in VFL in 2012? Not very long in my opinion given the impact he made last season featuring in the best players in every game he played with VFL team. Him and Ceglar should form a very effective ruck combination.

Gault, the team’s second pick in National draft will probably spend the entire year as the VFL’s 3rd tall forward. He is a project and although he has the height to ruck, we shouldn’t see him in that role this upcoming season due to his slight build. He is listed at only 84kg according to Inside Football.

FOLL: Jonathan Ceglar – Paul Seedsman – Ben Sinclair

With Cameron Wood’s expected promotion to a full time AFL role, Ceglar is now the VFL’s no 1 ruckman. He showed nice signs of being a very capable tap ruckman this year and will share duties next year with Jarrod Witts.

Seedsman was another player in 2011 that started slow but really came on in the 2nd half of the season playing in the midfield. He should get ample opportunities to continue to develop his game in 2012 in the same role.

Sinclair made his AFL debut in 2011 but like Josh Thomas, has been plagued by injuries since being drafted. He got some great speed I would like to see him if we can develop him as a run with player in 2012.

INTER: Michael Hartley – Paul Cribbin –Caolon Mooney – Shae McNamara

Given his excellent performance on no 1 draft pick Jonathon Patton at the U18 state championships, it’s a safe bet that we will probably see Hartley spend the majority of time in the VFL as a tall defender. I’m hoping Presti can get away from the club shop at training and work with him one on one because he looks to be a good prospect.

Our two Irish rookies Cribbin and Mooney will probably be thrown everywhere this upcoming season to see which position may stick for a possible future AFL career. Cribbin didn’t show that much in my opinion in 2011 but as an international rookie, he was always going to get a 2nd season, as will Mooney in 2013.

As for Shae McNamara, he is about to enter his 3rd season on the rookie list and I’m not sure why. He has come a long way from his first appearance at the club and has definitely improved but not enough to consider him a legit AFL prospect. He didn’t do enough as a ruckman around the ground and doesn’t kick enough goals as a key forward. He did however have a best on ground VFL performance as the world’s tallest wingman. Did that performance seduce the coaching staff to bring him back for another year. At age 27 time is not on his side.

Rookie Draft Thoughts

I believe Collingwood has 4 choices for December rookie draft but will probably only have two live picks if they are committed to bring back Daniel Farmer and Trent Stubbs given they are contracted for 2012.

Pick 1: Tom Sundberg
Other potential picks: Kyal Horsley, Jack Crisp, Shane Nelson, Josh Waldhunter.

I think with the first rookie pick, the team will go for midfield. Thomas and Sinclair have been injured prone to date and Seedsman will only be in his 2nd year so more depth and probably a mature body is needed. I was hugely impressed with Sundberg VFL season and he deserves a chance to be on AFL list, I just hope it’s Collingwood’s as I would hate to see him wear another team’s colours knowing we had him in our backyard first. Horsley would be my 2nd choice if Sundberg wasn’t available.

Pick 2: Julian Dobosz
Other potential picks: Waylen Manson, Jai Sheahan, Fletcher Roberts, Brett Eddy.

Despite going tall forwards with the National draft selections, I still think the VFL team is a tall forward short. I have no confidence in Cameron Wood making it as an AFL player so if Jarrod Witts is fast tracked into the AFL we should have another tall forward as backup to help out Paine and Gault. Dobosz is probably unlikely to be available when our 2nd rookie pick comes around, but if he somehow was we should get him given his impressive performances for Tasmania. This is despite knowing that we will get another tall forward prospect in 2013 with likely father/son selection James Stewart. Manson is also unlikely to be available when our 2nd rookie pick comes around but he is another to take a punt on considering his talent should other teams continue to shy away from him.

Pick 3: Daniel Farmer
Farmer was drafted before Seedsman last year so it must be hugely disappointing for him to be passed on the depth chart. After watching him play in 2011, I don’t have any expectations on him lasting on the list beyond 2012.

Pick 4: Trent Stubbs
Another player whom I think will only be selected to complete his contract before being moved on for 2013 season.

Fantastic work mate>

Really exciting looking line-up there, they should do well...certainly look better on paper than last year.

Suppose injuries in either side will deplete, but can't wait till Vic Park games again next season, see these kids strutt their stuff ( plus the older guys trying to win their spot back)

Is Kris Pendlebury definitely gone?

Good effort Peter.

Didn't think it necessary to start a new thread so here is my interpretation.

With our current lists I have (round 1):

Senior:
F: Andrew Krakouer Chris Dawes Alex Fasolo
HF: Luke Ball Travis Cloke Alan Didak
CEN: Dale Thomas Scott Pendlebury Paul Seedsman
HB: Nick Maxwell Ben Reid Harry O'Brien
B: Heath Shaw Chris Tarrant Alan Toovey
FOLL: Darren Jolly Sharrod Wellingham Dane Swan
BENCH: Steele Sidebottom Dayne Beams Cameron Wood Ben Johnson

VFL:
F: Caolan Mooney Jarrod Witts Brent Macaffer
HF: Kirk Ugle Jackson Paine Marty Clarke
CEN: Ben Sinclair Josh Thomas Shae McNamara
HB: Tom Young Lachlan Keeffe Simon Buckley
B: Luke Rounds Nathan Brown Tyson Goldsack
FOLL: Jonathan Ceglar Jamie Elliott Jarryd Blair
BENCH: Michael Hartley Corey Gault Peter Yagmoor Paul Cribbin

Rookie draft:
*Michael Hartley. Caolan Mooney

Expect us to also rookie: Daniel Farmer and Trent Stubbs which leaves us with:

Round 1 rookie: Waylen Manson (Don't know what the club think of this kid. Overlooked in national draft. But I'm keen. As a rookie, why not take the risk? He can play as a focal point up forward but also within the forwardline as another serious marking target. Someone needs to take a grab up forward when Dawes and Cloke are defended and this kid can be that genuine high level 3rd option. Forget the deficiencies in his game, or the go home factor, you can get rid of a rookie after one yet, and as a rookie you are going to get a player with deficiencies, might as well take the most talented and someone who can produce - think Moneyball for those who have seen the film or read the book - only have to look at his numbers)

Round 2 rookie: Myles Bolger (Unlikely he is here, but this ruckman should have gone 1st round on talent. Comes with injury concerns and has missed allot of footy over recent seasons, but I believe he will get over his injuries. We already have a loaded ruck division, we have now Ceglar, Witts, Gault all in that same age bracket, but we can take him and delist him after a year if we decide we don't want him. I'm not confident we will have McNamara or Wood after next year and Jolly is nearing the end so while we are up the top why not take a potentially high level ruckman who many rate higher than Witts. I doubt we would even remotely consider going for another ruckman, but I see allot of Darren Jolly in Bolger)

Others I like (others inside my top 50 prospects. To get some names out there):

Josh Waldhuter (Inside mid. Has a serious attack on the ball. Would be my other very serious recommendation and another player remaining who I have inside my best 25 from this years draft)

Haiden Schloithe (We won't draft him because we have drafted so many small forwards of late, but this kid is a tackling machine and looks dangerous every time he has it near goal)

Ben Brown (Another case of I don't see us drafting him. Very similar to Gault and would likely be developed as a no.2 ruckman. Also like him as a key forward. Again rate very highly as a long term prospect. Only issue with Brown is injury, but I don't think long term that is an issue for us or another club who take a stab)

Lee Spurr (For mine the best of the mature agers. Surprised he wasn't taken in the draft. Big game player. Lifted when his team needed him in the SANFL grand final. Has versatility. Good all-rounder with a particularly strong mark for his size)

Sam Frost (Super athlete. Should have gone in the national draft. One of the most attacking key defenders you will ever see. Kicking a work in progress, gee can he go! Willingly takes on opposition forwards and goes for dashing runs like nothing you have ever seen from a player of his size. Can also play forward)

Michael Bussey (Talented KPP. Possibly doesn't have the work ethic, but the talent is there for something to come of him and I think at a club with good leaders he could develop. Like him as a key defender but has mostly played as a key forward)

Jye Bolton (Please re-rookie him? Was our best rookie this year and after Fasolo and possibly Seedsman was our next best 1st year player)

Kyal Horsley (Mature ager from the WAFL. Versatile mid who can play forward or back. Solid ball winner and has a strong body. Has a nice left foot kick on him. Expect us to look at him if available with one of our selections, that is if St Kilda don't take him before us)

Jack Crisp (Reminds me a little of Tyson Goldsack. Big time defensive type player and just tackles like a machine. Real role player type who you put into the team for his hustle and hard defensive work. We have been linked pretty heavily to Crisp so expect us to look at him very seriously if available at our rookie choices in the rookie draft)

Marley Williams (There have been allot of Alex Fasolo comparisons and for good reason. Personally Williams reminds me a little of a young Paul Chapman, is a real angry, but powerful unit. Strong body, long penetrating kick but endurance needs work)

Danny Butcher (Brother of Port Adelaide's John. Is probably more like a Luke Dahlhaus though. Hard working mid with a strong attack on the footy. Strong mark for his size)

Andrew Boseley (Late bloomer. Key defender. Didn't measure as tall as some of us might have expected which is why he slid through to the rookie draft. Is that one year older but allot of development left if we are looking for another key defender. Talk is we might be looking at him and interviewed him closely)

it would seem smart in a premiership window to use the remaining 'live' rookie picks on some ready to go mature aged types like a Horsley or Sundberg or Maric or Urquhart or B Eddy or Baguley etc. Pies depth is pretty thin on senior bodies with all the departures in last 12 months and would be good to have some replacements in case of long term injuries.

Very nice read.

However, I am of the school of thought that Nathan Brown is a certain best 22 starter. Our backline won't be top heavy because Taz has the versatility to play medium and small too or go forward. In fact, we would have a backline not too dissimilar to what Geelong use with Scarlett, Taylor and Lonergan.

Also, I think Clarke will also be a best 22 player.

With Davis' omission, a spot opens up for someone to take and at the moment I see Marty as the best fit. His versatility and endurance will be major weapons and gives the side flexibility in the roles to use him in.

I really confused with where we sit with rookie selections this year. I understand these guys are on our rookie list but are some international rookies still. I assume we can have 6 on the rookie list + international/NSW scholarship players outside rookie list. I do recall someone saying the Irish guys can no longer be listed as an international rookie, outside the rookie list.

Shae Macnamara
Michael Hartley (NSW scholarship)
Paul Cribbin
Caolan Mooney (International rookie)

This would mean 4 rookie selections with Trent Stubbs & Daniel Farmer to be taken.

Can anyone confirm?

I really confused with where we sit with rookie selections this year. I understand these guys are on our rookie list but are some international rokkies still. I assume we can have 6 on the rookie list + international/NSW scholarship players outside rookie list.

Shae Macnamara
Paul Cribbin

This would mean 4 rookie selections with Trent Stubbs & Daniel Farmer to be taken.

Can anyone confirm?

That is my understanding - Hartley and Shae outside the 6 - Farmer and Stubbs to be taken. Cribbin and Mooney take 2 other spots leaving another 2 picks on Dec 13.
Jye Bolton would be a good pick, but I don't think the reason (off field?) Bucks delisted him has changed in the last month.

I really confused with where we sit with rookie selections this year. I understand these guys are on our rookie list but are some international rokkies still. I assume we can have 6 on the rookie list + international/NSW scholarship players outside rookie list.

Shae Macnamara
Paul Cribbin

Can anyone confirm?

We have 4 live picks. Can take anyone we want. Then Hartley + Mooney will be our final 2 - who we have essentially already selected.

Stubbs and Farmer are optional. We are paying for them anyway so might as well get some value out of them and rookie them.

Very nice read.

However, I am of the school of thought that Nathan Brown is a certain best 22 starter. Our backline won't be top heavy because Taz has the versatility to play medium and small too or go forward. In fact, we would have a backline not too dissimilar to what Geelong use with Scarlett, Taylor and Lonergan.

Also, I think Clarke will also be a best 22 player.

With Davis' omission, a spot opens up for someone to take and at the moment I see Marty as the best fit. His versatility and endurance will be major weapons and gives the side flexibility in the roles to use him in.

I'm with Peter on both fronts.

With Tarrant producing the way he did in 2011 there is just no room for N.Brown at this stage. Also suspect he will take some time to get back to his best footy. Certainly by mid season, perhaps earlier will be competing hard for a spot in our best side.

Marty I'm not certain will be a round 1 starter. Certainly will be in the mix, but I suspect the club might give him some VFL games first.

I don't dislike the thought with relation to the Geelong backline though. You are right saying Tarrant can take all sizes. The advantage of this could even be that Brown takes the resting ruck assuming that ruck rests forward, otherwise Tarrant just takes the 3rd tall.

I don't see the three playing from round 1, I'm not sure who gets left out of the side. Possibly O'Brien if he has another average year, certainly not Toovey if he produces as consistantly as in 2011. But I expect at some stage we will certainly trial the idea of playing the three.

Wow knighta Seedsman to play RND 1 ahead of Blair and clarke? Hugely unlikely for mine but would be good to see a debutant impress so strongly through the nab cup and preseason. Rookie kris pendlebury just for Scotty's sake

It's a big call. But why not live life on the edge?
Really liked his late season form. Just needs a strong preseason and he is in with a chance.
Very keen to hear back from Arizona if he is one of the real improvers over the next week.

I just don't see Clarke a round 1 starter. Think he will break into the side round 3/4 though. To be honest think Clarke could even replace Didak on a forward flank depending on how his preseason goes.

Kris is an interesting one. Maybe GWS even take him. I don't buy into the logic that drafting Kris will help Scott stay. Scott in my view will stay/move based on his chances for success. He is very success driven and if he thinks he will win premierships at GWS and win more there than at Collingwood, then he might make the move.

Kris has been solid at VFL level, but would not break into our side for games, as good as he has been.

Ahh so impressed with our VFL list.

But does this mean we won't have any VFL players, playing for us? Like Condy or K.Pendlebury etc. How do they manage to rotate all the players?

And question to Knightmare; I know Sam Frost through school, and a lot of people are gutted he didn't get drafted. Do you know why he didn't get drafted? A lot of people are saying it's because his kick is horrible for AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be wasting our time taking Farmer IMO.

Stubbs was pretty much nursing injury for most part of 2011 but for some reason I don't mind him.

Ahh so impressed with our VFL list.

But does this mean we won't have any VFL players, playing for us? Like Condy or K.Pendlebury etc. How do they manage to rotate all the players?

And question to Knightmare; I know Sam Frost through school, and a lot of people are gutted he didn't get drafted. Do you know why he didn't get drafted? A lot of people are saying it's because his kick is horrible for AFL level.

With injuries VFL players will receive opportunities. Also for some of the 1st or 2nd year players there might be weeks they receive a rest so that they don't burn out. So VFL players will still receive opportunities and most weeks there will be 3 or 4 in the side.

With key positions players there are never any guarantees unless you are regarded as a certain top 10 selection. There will always be players who slip through and players who come from nowhere.

There were allot of key position players expected to go in a similar range to Sam, while this year there probably isn't the quality of top end key position players there still is solid depth in this years draft in terms of key position players and clubs just seems to like some other options over Sam.
There is still a rookie chance and for mine Sam is one of the better rookie options, so he still has the chance to make it onto an AFL list.

I wouldn't put all the pressure on Sam's kicking. Michael Talia as a key defender not a great kick either and he got selected. So while it's an area that needs to be worked on and has been identified as a weakness - it's not the reason he didn't go in the national draft.

Sam just needs to keep working, make his strengths stronger, try to eliminate the weaknesses in his game and an opportunity will likely present itself.

It does seem a little odd that we didn't keep him on the list and nobody picked him up in the ND. Maybe there is more to it than we know?

In retrospect, Bolton has to be considered as a player overrated by supporters last year. Many thought him an excellent pick up but obviously he was not rated by the people who most count at Collingwood.

In retrospect, Bolton has to be considered as a player overrated by supporters last year. Many thought him an excellent pick up but obviously he was not rated by the people who most count at Collingwood.
That's the thing, he did well in our VFL side and even Nick Maxwell (he could be a little biased as he was involved in recruiting him) was saying he'll definietly be at another club next year. We probably overrated him but I don't think the club would have axed him off the rookie list (especially this year being a weak draft) if he and the club wanted him there.

That's the thing, he did well in our VFL side and even Nick Maxwell (he could be a little biased as he was involved in recruiting him) was saying he'll definietly be at another club next year. We probably overrated him but I don't think the club would have axed him off the rookie list (especially this year being a weak draft) if he and the club wanted him there.
If you look at his games he didn't do that well.
On occasions he did a few good things before drifting out of the game; he wasn't consistent and never really dominated for a long period in a game.
I think his best was way short of what's required for the AFL.

And in part, that is exactly what the Rookie list is for, try out a young guy to see if he has the makings, if not let him go and try someone else.

Excellent thread.

I think we may see more VFL listed players in the team than you've put into it. Pendlebury, Eddy and Sundberg I hope will still be important players in our VFL side next year but I guess we have a rookie draft to negotiate before we can guarantee that.

I would like to see Paine and Hartley eased into their AFL careers and used as third talls at their respective ends of the ground.

Hartley was played primarily as a half back last year and I think a more defensive role as a third tall should be the go next season. Hopefully Pendlebury and Keeffe taking the main posts.

At the other end I hope to see Paine as a third tall which is where he has an opportunity to be useful in the AFL for us. It makes sense to groom him in this role. I expect Eddy and Shae Mac to take the key posts up forward. And failing this Bolland or the resting ruckman.

Our forward line will certainly have a new dynamic and hopefully bite next season with Elliot, Mooney and Paine. I am still hopeful we pick up Manson too as he would have been my selection at Gaults pick.

I think Clarke will start in the senior 22 to be honest.

My picks for the wing at VFL level would be Seedsman and Rounds. I would like to see Rounds step it up this season and play a more key role. Seedsman is not our rover and hopefully Sundberg, Thomas and I think perhaps Blair will come back and play midfield minutes in the twos and provide us enough in the guts.

I think with McCarthy's departure we have a bit of a hole in the twos to fill in the midfield.

Well analysed, Quicky. McCarthy will leave a hole and Blair is one who will most likely fill it if he does not add to his bag of tricks. Rucks should not be a problem, however, as we have Ceglar, Wood, Witts and McNamara. We lacked height and bulk last year in the VFL and also missed the midfield presence of Thomas, Sinclair and whoever else might have been dropped from the seniors in a more injury free season. Keefe should hold down CHB and maybe Hartley FB as the season unfolds.

Sundberg being passed up in the National Draft was a head scratcher, IMO.

If he had been on our list in 2011, I have no doubt that he would have played at least 8-10 senior games, as he was the best performer we had in the VFL, ahead of the likes of McCarthy, Sinclair, Rounds and Dick.

Strange to think that a 23 year old who would have easily been playing for a Grand Finalist wasn't wanted by anyone for their senior list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back