2nds VFL and Rookie Draft Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Sundberg being passed up in the National Draft was a head scratcher, IMO.

If he had been on our list in 2011, I have no doubt that he would have played at least 8-10 senior games, as he was the best performer we had in the VFL, ahead of the likes of McCarthy, Sinclair, Rounds and Dick.

Strange to think that a 23 year old who would have easily been playing for a Grand Finalist wasn't wanted by anyone for their senior list.

Perhaps will be used as an 'insurance' pick, rather than frontline trooper?

BTW on the end of trade night him-Hine-self said that this leaves us with 2 picks each in both ND and RD. Now we hear talk of four live rookie picks. Has something happened in Valhalla? Or going with Grant Thomas' handgrenade blog of today probably the AFL has just introduced 'new rules' since then?

Perhaps will be used as an 'insurance' pick, rather than frontline trooper?

BTW on the end of trade night him-Hine-self said that this leaves us with 2 picks each in both ND and RD. Now we hear talk of four live rookie picks. Has something happened in Valhalla? Or going with Grant Thomas' handgrenade blog of today probably the AFL has just introduced 'new rules' since then?

Is Grant suggesting Eddie has banned GWS from our players via the AFL? If true, good. It's about time we got an advantage from our power. Nearly every other club sucking at our teat and all we cop is critisicm. Go Ed

My mail is Stubbs, Reed, Farmer to be rookied with 1 pick left.
That would mean we are effectively bypassing the rookie draft, as our final pick will be Michael Hartley (NSW Scholarship).

Strange if true, I can't see either one of Reed, Stubbs or Farmer ever being AFL class players, we'd be better off using at least one live pick.

That would mean we are effectively bypassing the rookie draft, as our final pick will be Michael Hartley (NSW Scholarship).

Strange if true, I can't see either one of Reed, Stubbs or Farmer ever being AFL class players, we'd be better off using at least one live pick.

I agree...I guess it may be due to the draft being weak...

If we re rookied Reed, I will be furious. The bloke has no hope and instead of him we should be looking at picking up Sundberg instead. He has been dominating the VFL everyweek and deserves a chance much more than Reed. I doubt Reed will get picked up by anyone.

We will have a total of 8 Rookies. 2 outside the rookie list (McNamara & Hartley) plus the 2 Irish boys (Cribbin & Mooney). Leaving 4 more live picks in the rookie draft. If we did take Farmer, Stubbs & Reed then we wud still have 1 live pick remaining.
I doubt we will re rookie Reed. Hence shud have 2 other picks.

If we re rookied Reed, I will be furious. The bloke has no hope and instead of him we should be looking at picking up Sundberg instead. He has been dominating the VFL everyweek and deserves a chance much more than Reed. I doubt Reed will get picked up by anyone.

i agree reed is a hack

We will have a total of 8 Rookies. 2 outside the rookie list (McNamara & Hartley) plus the 2 Irish boys (Cribbin & Mooney). Leaving 4 more live picks in the rookie draft. If we did take Farmer, Stubbs & Reed then we wud still have 1 live pick remaining.
I doubt we will re rookie Reed. Hence shud have 2 other picks.
Yeah, I forgot that Hartley will be outside the normal rookie list this season, hopefully we don't re rookie Reed and we do have 2 live picks, because if past history is anything to go by, rookie drafts are not a waste of time, no matter how weak the proceeding draft was.

If we keep any of those guys, I assume it is because we owe them money. Surely Reed has been rookied more than a year? The guy seems to have been around forever, as his achievements in the Sydney competition heralded his arrival a year before. I expected something more given his reputation, but the next step up has found him out.

Keefe, Witts and Hartley seem better equipped to make the transition. Quigley thought Hartley the best full back in the draft, perhaps based on his game against John Patton, and a better pick up than Witts. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate am on holidays and it was a reaLly good read over brekkie.

My 2 cents would be to only re-rookie Farmer. I know he was disappointing last year but I saw two games where showed a bit. Stubbs and Reed should be paid out with leftover money Neon walked from.

In terms who to go after in the rookie some of the ones I like are;

Sam Frost - mail was he didn't go bc lack of a defined position and his field kicking which I agree is an issue but he has the technique. New to footy so time to improve.

Marley Williams - aggressive hf / wing type like Fasolo. Not sure why he didn't go.

Louis eggar- thought was a chance for GWS but aggressive med back who reminds of young Byron pickett

Gibson Turner - probably not our type but a small fwd who is good one on one and has real speed. Lots of x factor.

Jai Sheehan - genuine tall who can go back and fwd. Ex ais kid and he is a beaut user

Sam Gordon - probably my favorite but may struggle due to height.

Lewis Hender - another medium fwd who has been v good for 2 years. Ok champs but really came on late

Matt Jacquier - lot of x factor and plays hf. Had a good year or two.

Max Duffy - unbelievable ball user and loads of talent but had some issues which are now behind him

Darren Mitchington - exactly type Hine loves. Quick, skilled and very coachable.

Thomas Derham - little known SA kid who is an ex cricketer and who had a v good finish to year as a mid / fwd. Might be left in sanfl for another year but worth watching.

Nick Murphy - if oakleigh won that final everyone would be talking about him. Nearly taken by GWS as a 17yo. Not sure we will be after more talks though.

Not sure about a mature age but am hearing a lot will go in rookie. I guess with so many changes to list might make sense. For me I would look at;

Kyal Horsley
Sam Dwyer
Lee Spurr
Tom Sundberg
Brett Eddy
Will Farrer
Kris pendlebury

With one of your rookie picks you will increase your clubs membership tally by a few thousand due to a certain uethnicity! Watch this space!

Putting the membership department in change of recruitment, now there's an idea! :eek:

My pick is Josh Waldhuter - love the look of this kid.

Aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. Can't believe he didn't go in ND based upon his clip and all the write ups. Absolute never say die attitude and quick too (sub 3 sec for 20m). Good size...still bewildered at him not being taken.

He's a must get for mine - way more to work with over a Stubbs or Farmer.

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/390614/invoke/Default.aspx

Agree but i think the knock is how much development is left in him. As you say though has been very prominent for a couple of years. Be very surprised if not picked up

Agree but i think the knock is how much development is left in him. As you say though has been very prominent for a couple of years. Be very surprised if not picked up

So you are saying he has Reached his Peak?

Is there any chance Michael Hartley will be played fwd, seem we have an abundance of tall backs especially if Taz plays 2013. Has he been played there at all.
I guess it's always a possibility but it could take Hartley 2-4 years to break into the seniors anyway. It's probably unlikely he'll be a regular for us in the next 2 years unless he really shows some great performances in the preseason and VFL season.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL and Rookie Draft Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Back