Vics whinge about salary, but silent on MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

grayham said:
Knuckle-head, your pathetic little club can get the salary cap extension: Just exclusively recruit from outside your state. Simple.

:rolleyes:

Good thinking einstein recruit players on the basis of location irrespective of talent. One of your most ridiculous suggestions id say.

understudy said:
Good thinking einstein recruit players on the basis of location irrespective of talent. One of your most ridiculous suggestions id say.

So you are conceeding that because you have a choice, you have an advantage over Syd/Bris. Good.

All I was saying, is the SCC is open to anyone, but the penalties for acheiving it (like you say), outweight the benefits.

SurreyBlue said:
"If" the AFL had accepted the MCC & Carlton's proposal, this would now be a non-issue.
Carlton's agreement?

Oh you mean the one that showed the MCG was a better option for the club and the AFL and CARLTONS president then used his stadium managment position to chip in $3Mil to convince everyone otherwise?

grayham said:
So you are conceeding that because you have a choice, you have an advantage over Syd/Bris. Good.

All I was saying, is the SCC is open to anyone, but the penalties for acheiving it (like you say), outweight the benefits.

Let's assume for a moment that NSW and QLD have 90% of the good players in the country.... I would very very happily go outside VIC exclusively for players to receive an advantage of 1M (5 midfield players) for my team.

Your arguement is void sorry. I can understand Sydney receiving some benefit as it really is a lot more expensive to live there (I know, I just dropped 1grand in 1 weekend!!) but Brisbane is cheaper to live than Melbourne. Not to mention, why don't the SA and WA clubs receive an advantage?

Anyways... lets not go through all this again. Has all been said and done. ;)

grayham said:

But Brisbane and Sydney have a wider selection of interstate talent to choose from. Your asking Vic clubs to cut the talent pool in half so that they can get an extra salary allowance which they'd never be able to get the talent to fill.

JeffDunne said:
At least the majority, if not all, Melbourne clubs acknowledge the unfairness of this ageement. If there could be a vote on it, the clubs would vote to change it.

Pity the Northern clubs could not at least acknowledge the unfairness of the concessions they get. Even if they weren't prepared to change it.
It's not unfair...

It's very fair and necessary..

Ari said:
Let's assume for a moment that NSW and QLD have 90% of the good players in the country.... I would very very happily go outside VIC exclusively for players to receive an advantage of 1M (5 midfield players) for my team.

Your arguement is void sorry.

Void? Hardly. Currently about 60% of players originate from outside Victoria, but only 37% of teams are based outside Victoria.
Therefore there is a surplus of players outside Victoria, and very easy for a Vic club to adopt a recruitment strategy of recruiting non-locals to be able to qualify for the cap extension, without effecting overall player quality too much.

Of course, none do, as the problems of having so many non-locals outweighs the 600K extra you get to spend.

Silverballs said:
How ironic the amount of posts on here from whingeing, whining, Victorians about Brisbane salary cap yet they say nothing about the complete injustice of non-Victorian clubs having to play home finals at the MCG!

What a joke!

Lets not forget the buying of home games from poorer Melbourne teams as well. In the next decade i dont think you will see an Interstate club finishing in the bottom two and probably not even the bottom four.

The MCG is pretty much a neautral ground these days anyway. I dont see how Syd v WCE at the MCG benefits any Victorian team anyway ??

Until everyone plays each twice and thesalary cap for all teams are even the competition will always be tainted.

jlc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grayham said:
No. Everyone. But Northerns are given a choice.

It is no choice at all, not an option. Ridiculous situation and rule.

BTW ironic this whinging about MCC agreement from northerns when AD has just come and basically guaranteed the swans a home final in the first week if they earn it. More favourtism for the northern states vis-a-vis others.

littleduck said:
Are you suggesting that due to a unique set of rare circumstances that occur once in a lifetime where players are taking paycuts etc that concessions aren't needed over the longer term?

Surely not?
And how did these "unique set of rare circumstances" occur?

JeffDunne said:
Carlton's agreement?

Oh you mean the one that showed the MCG was a better option for the club and the AFL and CARLTONS president then used his stadium managment position to chip in $3Mil to convince everyone otherwise?

JD...stop harassing me :) , you know what I mean. ;)

Silverballs said:
How ironic the amount of posts on here from whingeing, whining, Victorians about Brisbane salary cap yet they say nothing about the complete injustice of non-Victorian clubs having to play home finals at the MCG!

What a joke!

Non-Victorian clubs?

It's an away game for 5 Victorian clubs too. The Saints only play at 'The G' twice a year.

Ari said:
Us Vics have been ********ed royal for years with the SCC and now you want sympathy because you might miss out on a final???

I would play a final in Tasmania if it meant getting an extra 1M per year.

Dont expect sympathy for the poor lil rich clubs eh? :rolleyes:

And what about those of us on the other side of the country? Do you want sympathy from us to? We don't get salary cap concessions to compensate for players wanting to return home, or the possibility of losing a home final to an outdated backroom boys agreement. We just get shafted by draws preferencing influential Victorian teams and then have to listen to you bitch & moan & carry-on about how the world is plotting against you and nobody wants you to win. Wake up a smell what you're shovelling.

FIGJAM said:
Being a habitual salary cap whinger, I'd like to point out that I have posted heaps of times that the MCC Contract is a farce and should have been ammended years ago.

Even Satan (aka Eddie) actively speaks out against it, even though it's not in the interest of his Club.

I think you have selective hearing/reading!

Huh? I've not heard Eddie say diddly about the MCC contract. Evidence?

Murray said:
Its a Victorian Competition which we call 'National' just to placate the interstate teams.
Live with it or go back to playing mickey mouse football in your local leagues.

Fine. We'll take our money with us too.

In my experience the average Victorian:

1. Is still coming to terms with the "blow-ins" taking over "their" competition 2. Are disgusted at how ungrateful we are that they even let us join.
3. Believe we should be thankful we are allowed to play against their great teams and at their magnificent MCG.

Expecting support from the average Victorian on this issue is about as likely as Steve Bracks, Mike Rann and Geoff Gallop having a menage a trois.

littleduck said:
A unique situation of having a talented team full of Brownlow medallists, rising stars, the premier AFL coach in the land, AND most importantly of winnnig premierships.
All brought together under systematic combinations of financial incentives, salary concessions and draft concessions. The plan worked a treat.

The AFL commisioners should each be given a premiership medal.

EDIT: And Sedders, the MCC contract will be changed before it expires. Commercial realities will dictate that the MCC renegotiate. And be a man, post your comments in public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vics whinge about salary, but silent on MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back