Vics whinge about salary, but silent on MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The league should:

Get rid of the salary cap concessions. Let Sydney and Brisbane have first pick(s) out of all the juniors in their state before anyone else.

That way they will eventually fill up with a greater proportion of players from their own state.

AND/OR

Give every club a 'interstate draftee' allowance. Each interstate draftee entitles the club $xxx above the cap to spend how they wish to try to keep them there.

I don't see why a kid from Victoria drafted to WA would be less homesick than (say) a kid from Victoria drafted to Qld.

We all want AFL to prosper in the developing states but I reckon the excuses given by the AFL for the concessions are bull******** and/or inconsistent.

tigerdan said:
The league should:

Get rid of the salary cap concessions. Let Sydney and Brisbane have first pick(s) out of all the juniors in their state before anyone else.

That way they will eventually fill up with a greater proportion of players from their own state.

AND/OR

Give every club a 'interstate draftee' allowance. Each interstate draftee entitles the club $xxx above the cap to spend how they wish to try to keep them there.

I don't see why a kid from Victoria drafted to WA would be less homesick than (say) a kid from Victoria drafted to Qld.

We all want AFL to prosper in the developing states but I reckon the excuses given by the AFL for the concessions are bull******** and/or inconsistent.
That is probably the single most intelligent thing I've read on here from a Richmond supporter.

Well done.

jourgo said:
Huh? I've not heard Eddie say diddly about the MCC contract. Evidence?
The Footy Show about a month ago.

I'll understand if you didn't see it, as I hardly watch it either.

Ed said it was farsical. If he or I are less vigorous in our opinions against in in comparrison to the salary cap, so what? It stands to reason you're going to be more passionate about things which adversely affect you directly.

FIGJAM said:
The Footy Show about a month ago.

I'll understand if you didn't see it, as I hardly watch it either.

Ed said it was farsical. If he or I are less vigorous in our opinions against in in comparrison to the salary cap, so what? It stands to reason you're going to be more passionate about things which adversely affect you directly.

I'll have to take your word for it that Eddie said that. Its just that I've not heard anybody connected with any Victorian club (apart from Malthouse, who suffered the indignity of having home finals taken away twice when he was at West Coast) say anything about the MCC agreement. And that includes Sheedy (not saying that they haven't, just that if they did it garnered very low attention).

JeffDunne said:
At least the majority, if not all, Melbourne clubs acknowledge the unfairness of this ageement. If there could be a vote on it, the clubs would vote to change it.

Pity the Northern clubs could not at least acknowledge the unfairness of the concessions they get. Even if they weren't prepared to change it.

Getting in early for the September excuses.

tigerdan said:
The league should:

Totally agree with your 2nd point due to your 3rd point, but your 1st point is arguable and I would note that it doesn't depend on the 2nd point.

AND/OR

With respect, this rubbish shows you have no idea what the concessions are all about and why they were introduced and why they are still needed.

tigerdan said:
The league should:

sounds great in theory, but in reality Brisbane would just train them up to a usable standard and then not be able to keep them and they'd end up being targeted by teams with lots of cash.

LegalEagle said:
sounds great in theory, but in reality Brisbane would just train them up to a usable standard and then not be able to keep them and they'd end up being targeted by teams with lots of cash.

Why?

Or, more appropriately, how does that make them different to any other club? We are talking about Queensland/NSW locals here, not interstate recruits that might want to go home.

I think Brisbane supporters are worse than Collingwood supporters on the whine factor, if that can be imagined.

Hard for me to say this but most, if not all, Collingwood supporters agree the MCC contract is a farce but they are powerless to alter it whereas most Brisbane supporters feel they have a god given right to handouts.

Brisbane supporters = hypocrites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Vics whinge about salary, but silent on MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back