Review Vs Geelong (we effin' did it) Autopsy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Took the foot off the pedal.

Yeah, we definitely did and that opened the door for the Cats to get back in but even in the last 5 minutes, some really bad decisions like Thompson running up the ground and just launching into the forward 50 and it came back so quick he didn't have time to pick up his man.

We really missed Hansen. Jesus, Hawkins was the only Geelong player looking like he was going to kick a goal and Geelong in the last quarter were firing every inside 50 at him irrespective if he was in the best position or not. You would think it would dawn on one of our defenders on a man who hasn't touched the footy for three quarters to perhaps not get sucked up the ground so you are in a position to cut the lead off. I can't believe how many uncontested marks he was allowed to take.

Thommo has been really poor for us this year imo, his competitiveness since the Franklin game has gone to shit, he gives away too many free kicks for hanging on, drops so many marks, fumbles the ball and is struggling to impact marking contests and he is turning the ball over with his long bombs. It is sad given he was AA last year, his rebounding this season has been horrific, he used to be awesome on the rebound, he is now just a shanker of the ball.

We were literally 'seconds from disaster' tonight when we should have cruised home. Still stoked about the win but it irks me that a fair few of our mature blokes are just horrendous decision makers or executers, they are not 21-22 year old sub 50 game players who have 10 years to go in the game. This is it for a lot of these guys, their prime. Need to be making the most of their ability, not dropping off the standard they have set last year.

Congrats guys, i honestly reckon the only reason Geelong got so close was from several disgraceful and unfair umpiring xalla that went Geelong's way. You seriously have so much to look forward too, Cunnington is a beast, Gibson was sublime, Sideshow Ben is going to be a handy forward, and Luke McDonald look likes a future Brownlow medalist, his game tonight was sensational, his composure was just superb.

Enjoy the win and best of luck next week :)
Cheers mate - appreciate your good wishes.

Not sure if a thread has been started from a cat supporter yet but congratulations to you guys. Out played us for most of the night and well deserved. Pretty shattered atm, but will be going for you for the premiership! Beat history!
Good on you mate - all the best.

None of their veterans were great tonight. Kelly and Mackie in particular were turnover merchants.

Enright is a champion though.
Enright is one of the best of all time in the position he plays. If they re-did the AFL Team of the Century he'd be right in the frame for one of the back pocket spots. He does look like he's getting on a bit but that goal he kicked from 50 was class. I've loved Bartel over the journey as well but like Enright, Kelly and others does look to be slowing down which is only to be expected at this stage of their careers.
As for Mackie he is an absolute campaigner. Two of my favourite moments in the game was Mackie kicking over the head of Bicavs for Goldys goal and Cunners giving him the trademark fend off on the wing, nothing better than watching the game go past that campaigner after his attitude towards our club over the years.

You and me both, hubby said don't swear, your teams not even playing, (he hates footy!)

Well done, umps tried so hard to give it to em
Thanks Jo. That is reassuring. I like to think I'm reasonably measured when it comes to about umpiring, but my blood had started to boil and I lost it with that 'deliberate' out of bounds decision.

To make things worse my sister (a knowledgeable football watcher but an Eagles supporter) accused me of lacking objectivity.

Well, thanks big sister. But I will take the win. Not just 4 points, either, but a Preliminary Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still remember Teresa Livingstone dressed in sailor moon outfit...

On topic, well done tonight.
Mate, it's funny the common ground you can share at unexpected times, but yeah I remember that too. And it's not the worst memory I can think of.

Back on topic - thanks a lot. Who knows, bit still to happen, but might see you in two weeks

He's 33 tomorrow mate. Right at the end now but a future hall of famer imo.

Shouldn't be remembered for his final year or two, like a lot of the very good Geelong players near their end.

Congratulations Roo Fans. Well deserved win, and really hope you can make it to the MCG again this year. Footy needs an exciting team like this in the GF, the depth of your mids is astounding. If it's not Swallow, it's Wells, Cunnington, Greenwood, Ziebell, Bastinac, and if they are possibly covered, up steps Gibson- how underrated is he? And Turner. This kid is enviably good.
And Dal Santo- was that his best game for NM? Great timing.
Some height in defence next week, ? Tippett on Tippett?
Losing is never easy to get over, even if expected, but lots of respect for NM.
Would love a NM Freo GF.

Can I make that NM Port GF?

Last edited:
Great win. Well done.

Might sound odd for a Hawks fan, but I was hoping Geelong would win before it started, I simply thought they would have a better chance against Sydney next week.

As the game wore on I realised I was wrong, happily. Jumped out of my arm chair when Goldstein clunked it.

If your boys manage to knock out Geelong AND Sydney in successive weeks..... Regardless of who takes the flag, I think I'll have to buy a north membership just to say thanks

As for Mackie he is an absolute campaigner. Two of my favourite moments in the game was Mackie kicking over the head of Bicavs for Goldys goal and Cunners giving him the trademark fend off on the wing, nothing better than watching the game go past that campaigner after his attitude towards our club over the years.
Did anyone ask him how it felt to lose the '2 points' to 'only North Melbourne' tonight?

Tippett might need to warm up. Height needed next week. Grima was horrid.

However, I though half the team were well down
Yeah the back six weren't great
The first half it didn't go in there heaps especially that first qtr.

Then 3 goals in 2 mins at the end of the first showed how vulnerable that unit was last night for us.

Great to see the collective cover that weakness and get the result as the mids won their stats and the forwards were pretty good.

Need more from Thompson Grima firrito next week or buddy and Tippett will make short work of us.

I hate the word bit I'm prepared to say it was an aberration because out defence is usually pretty good

Yeah, we definitely did and that opened the door for the Cats to get back in but even in the last 5 minutes, some really bad decisions like Thompson running up the ground and just launching into the forward 50 and it came back so quick he didn't have time to pick up his man.
We really missed Hansen.

Umm no.......there is NOT A SHADOW OF DOUBT we have been a better unit without him, since he went out we've been on fire. Congrats to the Rooboys on making a Prelim, a great effort and definate pass mark for the year now:thumbsu:........Ben Brown how good is this kid, wow standing up in finals already, Drew I've (rightly) been a critic of yours but the past 2 games are slowly changing my mind, you play SO MUCH better with a bit of c*** in you, a great team effort all round! Let's also give some credit to Leigh Tudor who I believe has had an enormous impact on our club's coaching stocks:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Vs Geelong (we effin' did it) Autopsy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back