Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 4 - thread rules updated

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thread for discussing the War in Ukraine. Should you want to discuss the geopolitics, the history, or an interesting tangent, head over here:

If a post isn't directly concerning the events of the war or starts to derail the thread, report the post to us and we'll move it over there.

Seeing as multiple people seem to have forgotten, abuse is against the rules of BF. Continuous, page long attacks directed at a single poster in this thread will result in threadbans for a week from this point; doing so again once you have returned will make the bans permanent and will be escalated to infractions.

This thread still has misinformation rules, and occasionally you will be asked to demonstrate a claim you have made by moderation. If you cannot, you will be offered the opportunity to amend the post to reflect that it's opinion, to remove the post, or you will be threadbanned and infracted for sharing misinformation.

Addendum: from this point, use of any variant of the word 'orc' to describe combatants, politicians or russians in general will be deleted and the poster will receive a warning. If the behaviour continues, it will be escalated. Consider this fair warning.

Finally: If I see the word Nazi or Hitler being flung around, there had better have a good faith basis as to how it's applicable to the Russian invasion - as in, video/photographic evidence of POW camps designed to remove another ethnic group - or to the current Ukrainian army. If this does not occur, you will be threadbanned for posting off topic

This is a sensitive area, and I understand that this makes for fairly incensed conversation sometimes. This does not mean the rules do not apply, whether to a poster positing a Pro-Ukraine stance or a poster positing an alternative view.

Behave, people.

Last edited:

Seems obvious in retrospect.

A Russian advantage was their belief Western allies wouldn't allow actual Ukrainian military excursions into Russia, just the Russian units.

So, Russia has been ble to pull most of its defence from that border to use in Ukraine, but Ukraine cannot though, they have to defend the whole border.

But, losing Russian towns to the Ukrainian army is a bad look for Putin.

So, if Ukraine will now cross the border into Russia, Russia has to defend it.

I suspect it's already pulled all the units it can from it's other big border it feels secure not defending, you know, the one with big bad NATO.

This simple movevan tie up a lot of Russians, and it's a long border.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Andrii Kovalenko, the head of an anti-disinformation department at the National Security and Defense Council, said that Russia "doesn't control the border."

"Russian military commanders lie about controlling the situation in Kursk Oblast," he wrote in the Telegram post.

Andrii Kovalenko, the head of an anti-disinformation department at the National Security and Defense Council, said that Russia "doesn't control the border."

"Russian military commanders lie about controlling the situation in Kursk Oblast," he wrote in the Telegram post.

Russia has a person who is head of anti disinformation?

That would be the most frustrating job in the world.

There are reports of Ukrainian attacks on a town Sudzha which is located just over the border in Russia's Kursk region (kind of near Sumy). Not much data but a lot of channels are sharing the story.
One post from SOTA: [During the fighting in the Kursk region, according to pictures published on various channels, Russian equipment was destroyed]

View attachment 2070966
[Denys Davydov TG]
Is there anything special in the Kursk region of great strategic, military or industrial value? Most folks agree it's a raid to pull RF from elsewhere (+good PR) but I did wonder if there may have been a specific high value target.

Russia has a person who is head of anti disinformation?

That would be the most frustrating job in the world.
Yes it would. They should rename it to what it really is "The Ministry of Truth."

barreness probably a good time for Russia to cede territory in the name of peace.

Your troops are surrendering to Ukraine in your very own territory.

How embarrassing for those troops that they had to surrender inside Russia itself an not Ukraine.

Agree, Russia need to come to the negotiating table and give up the Belgorod and Kursk regions before its too late....

This is another reason why the escalation western powers are afraid of is BS. Russia isn't going to go nuclear weapons over this, they will barely mention it to their people in the media as they are afraid to look weak. Same would happen if Ukraine was allowed to destroyed an airfield with 20 fighter jets using western supplies.

What's telling in all of this is the absolute silence from Putin & co.

Very reminiscent of Putin in the immediate aftermath of MH17. They had to figure out a way to spin prooaganda in an attempt to save face for Russia after that and Putin is currently in crisis mode yet again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to know why they are doing this.

Russian bots on Twitter going insane.
Never mind Russian bots.

Russian residents of Kursk are openly calling out Putin & co out:

Will Russia track down these citizens and offer them "reeducation" in Siberia?

With the Ukraine border close by I know where I'd be heading if I were a Russian citizen in this scenario.

I would love to know why they are doing this.

Russian bots on Twitter going insane.
Its most likely to relieve pressure on the frontline elsewhere as Russia will need to respond by dragging forces away from other sections to negate this attack.

Kursk has military bases but no, no other territorial or strategic value in holding territory there that I know of. Stretch/redistribute enemy forces, compromise bases from which attacks are launched (without firing missiles at them), and the propaganda/morale value is all I can think of.

On SM-A146P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kursk has military bases but no, no other territorial or strategic value in holding territory there that I know of. Stretch/redistribute enemy forces, compromise bases from which attacks are launched (without firing missiles at them), and the propaganda/morale value is all I can think of.

Thanks Mobbs. As you say, stretch the enemy is number one. A largish incursion offers a few other opportunities - for example you could insert special forces and their gear in substantial numbers, resupply your saboteurs and exploit great cyber opportunities, if you can gain direct physical access to Russian military and governmental networks.

Any rail supply routes though there could be disrupted?

Any rail supply routes though there could be disrupted?
I dunno much about rail systems there. I'm pretty familiar with rail line in the occupied territory, but not over the border.

The other thing of note in the region is a nuclear power plant. One wag suggested maybe they want to do a NPP exchange!

Putin makes a public statement about the Inkurskion.

From Meduza

Putin called the breakthrough of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in the Kursk region a "large-scale provocation"
21:22, 7 August 2024 - Source: Meduza

Russian President Vladimir Putin made a statement on the situation in the Kursk region at a meeting with members of the government. A video of Putin's speech on August 7 appeared on the Kremlin's Telegram channel.

We will have to start with the events in Kursk Oblast. As is known, the Kiev regime has undertaken another large-scale provocation: it is indiscriminately firing from various types of weapons, including missiles, at civilian buildings, residential buildings, and ambulances. Immediately after our meeting, I will have a meeting with the heads of law enforcement agencies, the Ministry of Defense, the General Staff, the FSB, I mean the border direction of the Federal Security Service. And I will hear another report from my colleagues on what is happening in Kursk Oblast.

But I would like to say that following my conversation with the acting governor of Kursk Oblast, instructions have been given to a number of civil departments to provide the necessary assistance to residents of the region. And I also ask the government to take up this matter without delay.

Putin instructed First Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Denis Manturov to coordinate this work at the first stage.

On August 6, Ukrainian troops entered the Kursk region and consolidated their positions in the border zone. According to various sources, one or two battalions of the Ukrainian Armed Forces entered the territory of the Kursk region. The Ukrainian and Russian sides suffered losses in equipment. According to the Russian authorities, local residents and Russian military personnel were injured.

Putin makes a public statement about the Inkurskion.

From Meduza

Putin called the breakthrough of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in the Kursk region a "large-scale provocation"
21:22, 7 August 2024 - Source: Meduza

Russian President Vladimir Putin made a statement on the situation in the Kursk region at a meeting with members of the government. A video of Putin's speech on August 7 appeared on the Kremlin's Telegram channel.

We will have to start with the events in Kursk Oblast. As is known, the Kiev regime has undertaken another large-scale provocation: it is indiscriminately firing from various types of weapons, including missiles, at civilian buildings, residential buildings, and ambulances. Immediately after our meeting, I will have a meeting with the heads of law enforcement agencies, the Ministry of Defense, the General Staff, the FSB, I mean the border direction of the Federal Security Service. And I will hear another report from my colleagues on what is happening in Kursk Oblast.

But I would like to say that following my conversation with the acting governor of Kursk Oblast, instructions have been given to a number of civil departments to provide the necessary assistance to residents of the region. And I also ask the government to take up this matter without delay.

Putin instructed First Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Denis Manturov to coordinate this work at the first stage.

On August 6, Ukrainian troops entered the Kursk region and consolidated their positions in the border zone. According to various sources, one or two battalions of the Ukrainian Armed Forces entered the territory of the Kursk region. The Ukrainian and Russian sides suffered losses in equipment. According to the Russian authorities, local residents and Russian military personnel were injured.

Helluva long period of radio silence from Vlad to then come up with "this is a provocation" while himself conducting a full scale invasion.

I dunno much about rail systems there. I'm pretty familiar with rail line in the occupied territory, but not over the border.

The other thing of note in the region is a nuclear power plant. One wag suggested maybe they want to do a NPP exchange!

Imagine how outraged the Russians would be if someone were to set up a military base in the Kursk NPP.

Where have I seen that tactic before?

Remove this Banner Ad

Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 4 - thread rules updated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back