List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a bust.

Had opportunities as an inside mid today, the position that everyone said he’ll be suited to and stunk it up.

We'll put you in the pile of people that didn't actually watch the game at all.

Stupid to bring him in this week in the first place. Give him a proper uninterrupted run in the middle for the beagles. I know there’s no wafl this week, but continually playing him on the wing isn’t helping his development.

Was an annoying week for players to hit form in the WAFL, straight into a bye. I was advocating for Chess to spend the rest of the year playing inside mid (or HBF). I still stand by that, despite the promising signs. I think he needs to lay a foundation for 2025 then come in day 1 preseason and train there too.

All hope is not lost but we are not trying to extract the best from him and find his ceiling.

He shouldn't have come back in today unless they were prepared to actually play him in the guts like he did in the WAFL at the weekend and played very well.

Agree with others above, he needs a decent run in the 2s actually playing as a mid.

Was an annoying week for players to hit form in the WAFL, straight into a bye. I was advocating for Chess to spend the rest of the year playing inside mid (or HBF). I still stand by that, despite the promising signs. I think he needs to lay a foundation for 2025 then come in day 1 preseason and train there too.

All hope is not lost but we are not trying to extract the best from him and find his ceiling.
Joins a long list of players over the last decade who would've been world beaters if only they were played in the right position.
You can play or you can't, currently Chess is on the wrong side of that phrase.

He shouldn't have come back in today unless they were prepared to actually play him in the guts like he did in the WAFL at the weekend and played very well.

Agree with others above, he needs a decent run in the 2s actually playing as a mid.

The real disappointment was Luke Shuey on ABC Radio this morning saying (in regards to Chesser) that he may have been pigeonholed into a position due to possessing particular traits even though he had played all of his juniors as an inside midfielder.

That he had been told that from here on out that he would be played on ball whether that's at WAFL or AFL level.

Nice one, guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chesser and Culley came back in on the back of strong onball performances to play defensive wing and forward pocket. At least give them the last quarter in the middle to see what they can do, if not the last half.

Liked the way he involved himself in a few chains with some determined, take it on running. Backed himself in. Was surprised he was subbed but also don’t understand how we positioned he and Culley today versus their WAFL roles.

Will be annoying if he is a bust given our recent hall of fame of failed first rounders in Brander and Venables.
It was poor development and poor recruiting on Brander (should've never been selected at 13 then) especially that we had plenty of KPFs at the time although he may have been a good KPD but there was a good chance he would've frustrated us by squibbing out of too many contest especially in the backline and Venables just got very unlucky that he had an unfortunate career ending concussion.

I think it was our poor development that stuffed Brander although he did not help himself by being too soft at the contest and not fighting hard for his spot and coasted on pure talent (just like Jack Watts did).

It's possible that the system our former coach used pretty much forced him to play a dead man aerobic sweeper wing role which is a death knell for any player who's not Masto. Chesser operates best when he plays as an inside receiver just like Kelly and he can also have stints on the wing, running towards the contest ready to receive the ball which our system doesn't allow him to do that hence why he's output is low.

In a new system that utilises him best, I think he will thrive when he's playing to his strengths and an extra preseason will help with his body conditioning to handle a new role since he's fast and has a good kick on him. I expect once correct changes are made by a new coaching staff and system, he'll certainly thrive. Failure to play him to his strengths will result in not being able to fulfill his potential at West Coast at least.

Yeah seems the type of player who needs to be forced to contest the footy rather than being unsure whether to guard space, get drawn into the play etc. Bizarre that we haven’t even attempted to try him down back. It’s almost like we are in denial of our tendency to draft HBFs

So according to some he is too dumb to play a wing as he lacks positional awareness, but also he should go to half back as he could be the next Brad Sheppard?

People just don’t wanna give up on this. He isn’t very good, the ceiling is serviceable, not All Australian half back. Next step in his career really should be a tagger. It’s the only role I could see him doing at this point

It was poor development and poor recruiting on Brander (should've never been selected at 13 then) especially that we had plenty of KPFs at the time although he may have been a good KPD but there was a good chance he would've frustrated us by squibbing out of too many contest especially in the backline and Venables just got very unlucky that he had an unfortunate career ending concussion.

I think it was our poor development that stuffed Brander although he did not help himself by being too soft at the contest and not fighting hard for his spot and coasted on pure talent (just like Jack Watts did).

It's possible that the system our former coach used pretty much forced him to play a dead man aerobic sweeper wing role which is a death knell for any player who's not Masto. Chesser operates best when he plays as an inside receiver just like Kelly and he can also have stints on the wing, running towards the contest ready to receive the ball which our system doesn't allow him to do that hence why he's output is low.

In a new system that utilises him best, I think he will thrive when he's playing to his strengths and an extra preseason will help with his body conditioning to handle a new role since he's fast and has a good kick on him. I expect once correct changes are made by a new coaching staff and system, he'll certainly thrive. Failure to play him to his strengths will result in not being able to fulfill his potential at West Coast at least.
The same things were said about Brander as he was shifted around into different positions trying to find somewhere that might justify his high draft pick. When we gave him away for nothing to GWS he managed just 5 games before being delisted. I see a strong parallel between Chesser and Brander. Both appear to have all the physical attributes to be good players, but not the hunger, desire or desperation. They are/ were both were good at at floating up and down the ground without really getting involved. If some other team thinks they can make something of them, then we should trade him. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back