Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Played about as well as Wingard. Neither should be in contention for a call up after a win like that.

Probably won't see either in the seniors until after the bye at the very least.

Both going through a mini preseason at the moment.

I saw DGB had 9 touches yesterday running out with Box Hill. Any reports on the quality of those 9 touches, his general condition and attitude?

I saw DGB had 9 touches yesterday running out with Box Hill. Any reports on the quality of those 9 touches, his general condition and attitude?

Took some rebound marks in the first half and while he also had a few clangers, it looked hopeful. Second half was poor, at times looked lost. I feel for the kid. Doesn't even want to take kick ins, and as the senior player and a good field kick, he should be pushing players out of the way to take kick ins. But he's a good marking target? Maybe, but mostly he was wondering deep in the pocket to take a breather.

Unfortunately, we have to assume DGB is a bust. Pains me to say it but there is just no development. If he can't impose himself on a game at VFL level after three years in the system, it is bordering on delusional to expect him to become a regular at AFL level. The most troubling thing is that there is no evidence that he is developing an AFL level tank.

Unfortunately, we have to assume DGB is a bust. Pains me to say it but there is just no development. If he can't impose himself on a game at VFL level after three years in the system, it is bordering on delusional to expect him to become a regular at AFL level. The most troubling thing is that there is no evidence that he is developing an AFL level tank.

Why is DGB been written off after a couple games at Box Hill after returning from long term injury?
It's almost like some are in a hurry to be proven "right" about him.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s had one back from injury, but the reality is he has never stood out at Box Hill, I don’t think any one is cheering on him failing. Really weird if they were.
Met him at an open training session and seemed like an awesome bloke, I hope so much that he turns it round, I haven’t given up but even blind optimism is fading.
His biggest claim to fame when we drafted him was that he had the better of Logan MacDonald in an u/18 game.
Logan is starting to kick bags of goals at the top level, and DGB has the rest of the year to save his career.

Why is DGB been written off after a couple games at Box Hill after returning from long term injury?
It's almost like some are in a hurry to be proven "right" about him.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are we going to do at the end of the season?

We have to make three list changes (minimum) for the draft, and potentially two more if we manage to sign Smith and Battle. Five players could be delisted or traded.

DGB is competing with Scrimshaw, Sicily, Weddle, Serong and Phillips for a spot in the side. Possibly McCabe too come next season. Unfortunately some tough calls are going to be made, and as it stands right now he's undeniably one of the few in the firing line.

I'd love to start to see DGB dominate at VFL level soon.

When Scrimshaw was dropped down to VFL level last year he always looked a couple of levels above adjust as CJ did in his hitout earlier this year. Even Bramble always looked a level above at VFL and he has some obvious flaws in his game.

If you are struggling to make an impact at VFL level I can't see how you can make the jump to AFL given the gap between the two is as big as it's ever been.

He's done.
I can't see him suddenly discovering the ability to play at a higher level.

We have to make three list changes (minimum) for the draft, and potentially two more if we manage to sign Smith and Battle. Five players could be delisted or traded.

DGB is competing with Scrimshaw, Sicily, Weddle, Serong and Phillips for a spot in the side. Possibly McCabe too come next season. Unfortunately some tough calls are going to be made, and as it stands right now he's undeniably one of the few in the firing line.
I get this and don't disagree with what you're saying but it seems he's become a bit of a whipping boy for some on here and it's getting a bit tiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the reality. We need to make list changes and outside of maybe Stephens he has shown the least at AFL or even VFL level of any player who has been in the system a few years. At the moment he and Stephens would be the two most likely to be delisted and they each have half a season to show meaningful improvement

He's a long way off fitness wise but I'd let him build into the year.

Thats the reality. We need to make list changes and outside of maybe Stephens he has shown the least at AFL or even VFL level of any player who has been in the system a few years. At the moment he and Stephens would be the two most likely to be delisted and they each have half a season to show meaningful improvement

Gunston and Punky might both pull the pin by the end of the year. I hope at least one stays on but wouldn't be surprised if both called time.

He’s had one back from injury, but the reality is he has never stood out at Box Hill, I don’t think any one is cheering on him failing. Really weird if they were.
Met him at an open training session and seemed like an awesome bloke, I hope so much that he turns it round, I haven’t given up but even blind optimism is fading.
His biggest claim to fame when we drafted him was that he had the better of Logan MacDonald in an u/18 game.
Logan is starting to kick bags of goals at the top level, and DGB has the rest of the year to save his career.

And the fact is that a lot of guys just don't stand out at the lower level. DGB is not an especially odd case and being a big guy it often takes a while to develop.

I remember going down to Box Hill to watch Roughy in what IIRC correctly was his second year in the system. He looked completely out of his depth yet went on to become one of the best players in football.

Like you, I am keeping the faith.

Honestly, even the most positive DGB supporters have to admit he has it all ahead of him to get back into this side. I look at his traits and it seems a shame that he may not make it as an AFL player, a change of scenery may suit him.

I would love for him to start to live up to his promise, but as it sits he's behind a couple.

Yep, criticise the kid coming off a long injury when Box Hill lose by 80.
No other poor performances there
He wasn’t the worst on the weekend. Haven’t read anyone say that. Nor have I read anyone say anything about DGB based solely on one game. Do you watch Box Hill games? If you do then I applaud your dedication to be positive about our players. I aspire to your optimism but I’m afraid I have limits.

Just aside, DGB was projected to be what Ridley does for the scum across back 50! Leave his opponent and launch at the ball to take mark after mark. He's done it at the lower level and is the reason why he was so highly touted in his draft year. So, he isn't just a stopper, and Sam doesn't want that from him anyway. That was something he had to work on last year, to loosen up and play his natural game. Let's give it some time . İt's there, he has it, but needs to show it even if it's at BH by the end of the season.

He wasn’t the worst on the weekend. Haven’t read anyone say that. Nor have I read anyone say anything about DGB based solely on one game. Do you watch Box Hill games? If you do then I applaud your dedication to be positive about our players. I aspire to your optimism but I’m afraid I have limits.
Several Hawthorn listed players in that side.....don't see any posts on their threads.......

Yes I watch BHH games. Also had the good fortune of being up in Gold Coast to watch taht VFL thumping

Positivity is fine. Writing off players coming back from lng term injuries in a game where the side loses by 14 goals is next level stupidity....where perhaps some posters don't know limits

Just aside, DGB was projected to be what Ridley does for the scum across back 50! Leave his opponent and launch at the ball to take mark after mark. He's done it at the lower level and is the reason why he was so highly touted in his draft year. So, he isn't just a stopper, and Sam doesn't want that from him anyway. That was something he had to work on last year, to loosen up and play his natural game. Let's give it some time . İt's there, he has it, but needs to show it even if it's at BH by the end of the season.
he actually flew to spoil or mark a few times. So effort is there but seems to get winded and so doesn't get to good positions.
In the last 2 games, saw him many times pointing to ball carrier to kick it away from him. He is not the one asking for the ball.

IMO if we can get back a decent 2nd round or better pick for him, we need to take that. Anything worse it is better to give him one more year and see how he goes given we know the travails of so many talls. We can carry him surely for 1 more year given the payoff.

There is a good argument that the improvement and development in the Seniors should actually buy him more time .

We shouldn't feel the need to rush a top 10 pick into a solid performing team .

Get him back to full fitness and give him opportunity in a better team that isn't under seige like we have been in most of his senior games .

We look like we have struck absolute gold last draft .........again this should give DGB more time, not the opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back