Autopsy Well beaten v swamsn

Remove this Banner Ad

Was very flat at the game after the bright start in the first QTR.

For next week I would exit Stephens/Dawson/Ford for Fisher/Logue/Duursma.

Only question on Logue was that he was getting a lot of treatment on his calf in the 2nds (2nd half) with the physios putting him thru various exercises. Hopefully just general soreness. I would like to see WillPhil in, but not sure who they would drop for him.

We were collectively fumbly weren't we. Archie can stay in the side, I was just pointing out how little ball they got, and if you aint got the ball, guess who has :)

I don't think the Teakle , Pink, Larkey show will get many more episodes tbh & imo.
I can forgive Teakle the down game after what hes shown since we picked him. I love Pinky but he probably needs to start bright next week and stay in the game because when Logue comes back, someone has to go and Kal Dawson (despite todays game) has shown a lot more.

Neither did Sydney though

Sydney had 51 total tackles to 45
Funny that the numbers were so low in such a crowded scramble of a game. It looked like there were just constant tackles as the ball went from pack to pack.

Overall, this game was the reality check that informs the players that despite some good recent results, they still have a ton of work to do in terms of fitness, skill and execution of game plans before they are going to contend.

Last edited:
We’ve had a few weeks of being very competitive against a lowly peer and a few mid-table teams. It’s very much better than we’d got used to but Sydney at the SCG this year is another level and today - possibly for the time being - we don’t have the gears to step up to that.

We Know Where We Are As A Footy Club(TM). Disappointing day but doesn’t change how much better I’m feeling about the future.
The only disappointing thing for me was our pressure was way down early and it wasn't due to the pressure of the opposition because they were also bog ordinary in the first quarter. Both teams were rated as poor, so to me we lost an opportunity to take advantage of a side that was definitely off. Would that have resulted in a win today ? Certainly not, but with better work-rate it may have resulted in an improved performance overall.

Next week another opportunity to step it up against a quality outfit.

So you honestly dont think we have improved? Even the best clubs have off days, freo lost to hawks after beating swans last week.

I thought we’d improved, absolutely. And I thought losses of more than ten goals because of poor effort were well behind us. But apparently not.

We’ve had a few weeks of being very competitive against a lowly peer and a few mid-table teams. It’s very much better than we’d got used to but Sydney at the SCG this year is another level and today - possibly for the time being - we don’t have the gears to step up to that.

We Know Where We Are As A Footy Club(TM). Disappointing day but doesn’t change how much better I’m feeling about the future.
Good reminder for our young team to reinforce how effing hard you have to continue to work day in, day out to get to the top.

Well we held up for a quarter and 5 minutes and from there it was a free for all.

Its not losing that bothers me, its how you lose and the effort that is given and based off what i saw today was a complete 180 from last week. A soft underbelly that showed the moment the Swans put the heat on. Whilst our skills at times were deadset dreadful we badly need a sports psychologist because we break mentally far quicker than we do physically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2047144 View attachment 2047145 View attachment 2047139

There's ya ****en review in a nut shell or in a spud skin if you'd prefer. None of them should play next week, if we're half serious. Now I do get and understand playing as a fwd at the SCG is difficult if you haven't experienced it. Short ground and you can find yourself caught between the play, has happened to much better footballers that the above lot.
I tried to scroll down to see Eddie Ford's name on the list. Did you forget to add page 2?

Dawson, McDonald and Comben were absolutely disastrous today.
They got outgunned on the day. I thought Charlie, as always, battled it out. They overwhelmed us completely. We had some disastrous, costly turnovers that were punished. A few 12 point turnovers as well.

We do need to raise our floor though. That margin was extremely disheartening considering our last stretch of games, and to be honest actually flattered us a bit.

We must respond next week against Carlton which will be a big test. Not win necessarily, but respond.

We do. That’s going to come with more miles in the legs, another pre season with an emphasis on repeated efforts and endurance.

I’ve seen enough the last month to know we are on the right track. But it was silly to think there wasn’t going to be a rough game or two on the run in. As I said though, important to respond, not drop heads and drags ourselves to the end of the season.

Our slower game was simply awful to watch and against much, much better opposition, we simply don’t yet have the skills and class in todays 23 to pull it off.

Phillips being omitted was a bit odd.

The midfield was embarrassed by younger, faster, stronger, better opposition.

Interesting for Dawson to persist all the way through the second when he was getting owned by Papley…

Feck Sydney and feck that awful claustrophobic ground the SCG.

We are a bottom 4 side - and a fair way off being anything other then that.

Sure - the last few weeks were an improvement - from absolute shiteness to being more of a regular run of the mill bottom 4 side.

We have been so shite for so long it seems like supporters and players alike have chosen to forgot how much improvement is required in our list, fitness and attitude to get out of the bottom 4.

I’m sorry but I can’t understand this habit on our board of saying that every other team, bar us, is “throwing the ball”. Whatever they’re doing is what is part of the modern game. If we can’t match them, what’s the point of playing? Of course, I’m 100% sure that all the other boards say the same thing and reckon we throw the ball. It’s a weirdness.
The point I think (at least for me) is that throwing is explicitly against the rules. It isn't discretionary for the umpire to ignore throws. It isn't an option that allows for players to choose throwing as a method of disposal. The fact that they get away with it so frequently, for such obvious throws is the problem.

I get that umps might be blind-sided on some occasions and that they might give the benefit of the doubt on other occasions but if they see a throw it is their duty to call the penalty and award a free kick to the opposition. If they don't do that then it's a serious concern. And I don't care if it's North or the other team - just pay the frees in the manner that the rule-book states and the game will be better for it.

And they need to learn what 15 metres looks like too while they are at it.

As well as improve their assessments of Holding the Ball.

Very similar to a bunch of our losses before the bye. Well-beaten across all three lines and they all influence the chain reaction of breaking down vs. the opposition.

I do think in this game it was their forward line getting well on top of our backs that was the catalyst for their mids and half-backs to attack aggressively. They got their tails up and played exactly the way they want to play and we panicked, missed targets, fumbled and ultimately fell apart.

Still plenty of pieces of the puzzle to find just yet.

After Q time, they kicked 17.14 to our 6.3

It should have been a 100-point belting in reality.

Not a single thing to hang our hats on with that game. Flush it down the shitter.

Made all the worse, that the Hawfs played and beat a top 4 team that beat the 2 weeks ago...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

he ended up with 12 disposals, look we didn't get much quality ball fwd, which needs to be acknowledged. The game is all about stoppage dominance.

But I think we went to tall for the opponent we faced.
Paul Curtis? He didn't even manage a cameo today.

OK, harsh but EF and PC were every bit as bad as the others listed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Well beaten v swamsn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back