What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

So where does the AFL come in or are they just going keep their distance? The clubs are owned by the league, right?

No, our club is owned by us members not the AFL. We are not the Giants, Suns, Swans, Crows or Power.

Having said that, we do get $3m less each year in variable funding than the Lions, Saints and Roos and $9m less than the Suns and Giants and we should expect the full support of the AFL if we lose these cases.

Last edited:
As Harvey Specter always said, you never let it get to a jury! This should never have made it to court. As soon as this dirty pedo was convicted we should have been working on reparations for the victim.

I can’t bemoan these victims chasing compensation, god forbid they deserve every cent. What is difficult to fathom is how a case against a member owned, not for profit, sporting organisation could receive a penalty 3 x greater than the previous record penalty which includes judgements against organisations like the Catholic Church, billion dollar public companies, private schools and university’s, the defence force, government agencies, etc.

The reason this filthy prick was even at the club is because we were on our knees and relying on a revolving door of volunteer fundraisers to keep us afloat. Of course we weren’t discerning enough about who was let in the doors, but we literally couldn't afford to be discerning.

Last edited:

The Joyce, Wallace and Eade years (and 92 under Wheeler) we were good enough to usually lose week 1, win week 2, lose week 3. (Throw 85 under Malthouse in there too.) Prelim wins were always a bridge too far.

Beveridge surpassed that hurdle in both 2016 and 2021.

But every other finals year under Beveridge has been on a par with the 74 and 76 elim finals. We made it, and that was about the extent of our intensity and resolve, as you've both pointed out.

Walking to the G on Friday night, kids excited as we got amongst the crowd streaming in, walking past the Leigh Matthews statue, I thought "at least this wont be like qual final in 85, hopefully like the 2016 semi..." Ended up somewhere in between. Not spanked like deer in the headlights in 85, but not good enough to repeat our 2016 effort against the Hawks.

Funnily enough, in week 1 1985, Malthouse outsmarted himself by starting our only 2 experienced finals players Maylin and Buhagiar on the bench. This year Beveridge did the same with JUH. Both decisions, 49 years apart, equally as bizarre.

It's more often than not the Bulldogs way... 🤪
Great post. Takes me back to when I first started going to the footy in 85.

In 2016 bevo had a team full of competitors that dug deep in multiple finals v very good trans in Hawks, Giants and Swans, to win the ultimate prize. Beveridge inherited that list.

In 2021, our first final was against a low quality Essendon, solid win in Brisbane, and a demolition job in the prelim against a very soft power midfield who were arguably front runners themselves.

So in the eight years since 2016, with trans that Beveridge has had more and more influence over as time passes, we've pretty much had one tough finals win against a competitive team (lions in 21). That's not a great record for a very well paid coach.

That's not a great record for a very well paid coach.

Yeah, you'd think he would be able to justify his comfortable salary by making sure our players who he has no control over kick for goal more accurately.

Yeah, you'd think he would be able to justify his comfortable salary by making sure our players who he has no control over kick for goal more accurately.
Well I’ll be blowed. All these decades I’ve been following footy thinking the coach trained and developed the players then gave them instructions on what to do when they were out there.

I really should pay more attention.

Well I’ll be blowed. All these decades I’ve been following footy thinking the coach trained and developed the players then gave them instructions on what to do when they were out there.

I really should pay more attention.
I'm a bit confused.

You can instruct, mentor, coach, provide guidance but you can't control what a player does. That's a fact. You might be able to control a robot with a controller but we're probably 50+ years away from that being introduced into our national game.

I'm a bit confused.

You can instruct, mentor, coach, provide guidance but you can't control what a player does. That's a fact. You might be able to control a robot with a controller but we're probably 50+ years away from that being introduced into our national game.
You can do more then say the goals will take care of themselves though.
As a football club we could probably also bring in a more qualified goal kicking coach then Brad Johnson and his blindfolds just because he was a great of the club. Not to mention that goal kicking coach should probably spend more then an hour a week at the club.

You can do more then say the goals will take care of themselves though.
As a football club we could probably also bring in a more qualified goal kicking coach then Brad Johnson and his blindfolds just because he was a great of the club. Not to mention that goal kicking coach should probably spend more then an hour a week at the club.
Of course, but how is that on Bevo?

Because he the one who said the goals will take care of themselves and because as head coach he has control over the training structure, the choice of dedicating more time to goal kicking is on his shoulders.

A throwaway line to some media w***ers becomes the basis for a whole argument about attitude to goal kicking.Gotta love big footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because he the one who said the goals will take care of themselves and because as head coach he has control over the training structure, the choice of dedicating more time to goal kicking is on his shoulders.
That was Macca wasn’t it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was Macca wasn’t it?
It's actually not an all too uncommon thing for coaches to say, usually to take the pressure off the players. From memory there was even another coach say the same thing the following week.
There is a huge difference in saying it off the cuff and actually believing it, I believe Beveridge got sucked into his own words on this one.

So not only did Bevo not say what you're saying he said, but we also hired a goal kicking consultant this year during his tenure..
He absolutely did say it. Although I have conceded he isnt the only coach to have said it. I'd also argue the validity of the goal kicking consultant given it is Brad Johnson who whilst kicked alot of goals and is a legend of our club has spent most of his post footy career in the media and only conducts one short session with the forwards weekly.
I'm going to leave it there though because although I have my view points I don't feel strongly enough about them to talk about them online for multiple days when there are alot of things going on in the football world currently.

Brendan McCartney said "the goals will take care of themselves."

Bevo said "less is more when it comes to goalkicking practice."

Believe they are appealing the size of the financial penalty, which as others have said absolutely dwarfed anything ever awarded before. Also without looknig it up wasn't the penalty also decided by the jury (?), something else that has never taken place before.
The Appeal is against the finding of negligence as well as the amount. In personal injury cases before a Jury, it gets to determine the damages. It was heard on Friday with the decision still to be handed down, who knows when. Nervous days ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back