What Will Minson said to Kane Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup what Minson said was poor ....but if you have been holding onto this for that long then you have serious problem on your hands ..

Go see someone get help or whatever ......
What? It's a Mike Sheehan commissioned interview. He was asked about it. You think Kane should get help? I'm not a big fan of the guy but WTF?

Absolutely ****ing terrible thing to say. TBH though it does not really make Kane Cornes look the best bringing this up seven years later even if asked a question about it.

Haha, definitely not. The Cornes family have rubbed up a lot of people the wrong way over the years. Still, will should have had a lot more, or even some, class
im not a big fan of Kane but Will has history. People say he's a smart bloke, but on the field he's shown to be a dog of a bloke. Shame those words show the type of guy he really is. I wonder what he would think if someone said the same thing about his kid. An intelligent bloke like him would probably dismiss them as an ignorant flog.

Leave the past in the past, not sure why most people in this thread feel the need to stick the boots into someone that does a hell of a lot more for people less fortunate people in life after all this time.

What was said was wrong, Will admitted it & apologized for it. Bringing it back up isn't really appropriate for anyone.

Secondly what Will Minson said to Cornes was unforgivable and i think when he gets older, he'll end up with very friends in footy and will regret that he wasted his talented.

Minson had the talent to be a multiple AA player and part of the Doggies bright future, but due to his attitude and seemingly lack of self control and discipline, he'll likely be shown the door at seasons end.

Minson has been his own worst enemy.

Minson has been a solid AFL-standard ruckman for most of his career, who managed to have a "career year" a couple of years ago, and garnered an All-Australian selection accordingly. I'd say he's probably got as much as he could have out of himself as a footballer, really. I don't really think he ever possessed superstar potential, or could really be expected to have a ton of great footy left in him now, given his age.

im not a big fan of Kane but Will has history. People say he's a smart bloke, but on the field he's shown to be a dog of a bloke. Shame those words show the type of guy he really is. I wonder what he would think if someone said the same thing about his kid. An intelligent bloke like him would probably dismiss them as an ignorant flog.

Why do people act like intelligence = inability to be mean, cutting and hurtful? Just because you're intelligent or "book smart", it doesn't necessarily make you a better or nicer person on a human level.

There's plenty of intelligent pricks out there, especially coming from Minson's well-to-do college boy background.

Considering he was so desperate to get away from footy mid-season for the "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity to be a firefighter, it's interesting that he's already able to get time off from training/working to flit off to Melbourne to do a TV interview about his footy career.

To be fair though, apart from this incident, being Graham Cornes' son, and his general longevity/consistency, there's not really that much particularly interesting to discuss about Kane Cornes' career. He was a fairly "boring" player who was pretty low-key publicly, hence why Sheehan most likely brings the incident up in the interview, just to have something to talk about.

What the **** is this post?

1) 1 interview is not comparable to being a full-time football player. one takes away your weekend, the other takes away your life for 9 months a year.

2) It's not 'once-in-a-lifetime', but it's pretty damn close. It's competitive to get into the SA metro fire service. If you get deep into the application process, then backtrack because of football, I daresay you'll find it very difficult in 3 years time when the process goes around again.

3) And last of all, jesus christ, did YOU NOT READ ABOUT CORNES SON? I would think a 300 gamer (first Port player by the way), 4x B&F, 2x AA who has dealt with an extremely sick son is extremely fascinating to talk to. A life as a football player is busy enough. A life with an extremely sick young child is busy enough. Combine the two? What a ****ing effort. Not to mention being a pretty good player, who also won a flag, was at Port when the Primus fallout happened...his career is pretty interesting.

Pull your head in. I've seen you post around here, you're a far smarter poster than this. Seriously, your post isn't even Bay13 standards.

Leave the past in the past, not sure why most people in this thread feel the need to stick the boots into someone that does a hell of a lot more for people less fortunate people in life after all this time.

What was said was wrong, Will admitted it & apologized for it. Bringing it back up isn't really appropriate for anyone.
Agreed, as a Port fan it's simply inconceivable what Minson said to Cornes. Ditto Pearce.

However he has apologised, copped a whack (in the form of a suspension and fine) and everyone has moved on. Cornes was asked a question and is only guilty of answering too honestly.

What's quickly forgotten is the incredible amount of off field work Minson has done. It's typical of the AFL industry to highlight and go over bad news stories with a fine-tooth comb while ignoring the wonderful work AFL players do away from the game.

What the **** is this post?

1) 1 interview is not comparable to being a full-time football player. one takes away your weekend, the other takes away your life for 9 months a year.

2) It's not 'once-in-a-lifetime', but it's pretty damn close. It's competitive to get into the SA metro fire service. If you get deep into the application process, then backtrack because of football, I daresay you'll find it very difficult in 3 years time when the process goes around again.

3) And last of all, jesus christ, did YOU NOT READ ABOUT CORNES SON? I would think a 300 gamer (first Port player by the way), 4x B&F, 2x AA who has dealt with an extremely sick son is extremely fascinating to talk to. A life as a football player is busy enough. A life with an extremely sick young child is busy enough. Combine the two? What a ******* effort. Not to mention being a pretty good player, who also won a flag, was at Port when the Primus fallout happened...his career is pretty interesting.

Pull your head in. I've seen you post around here, you're a far smarter poster than this. Seriously, your post isn't even Bay13 standards.

jlawCool-1420815131.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know what Minson said.

Don't understand the criticism of Cornes.

Why should he protect Minson's reputation?

It's moreso the desperation to get away from footy, and then he's back doing footy media five proverbial minutes later.

:rolleyes:he didn't want to get away from football, he knew 2015 was his final year, a career in the fire department was offered to him after he sat for the tests for entry and passed them all in the top percentage , he had to weigh up continuing the season when he was told there would only be a handful of positions on offer now for the next 2 years, defer for now and risk being over looked in the future, so after discussing it with Ken Hinkley, his family and close mentors he decided to retire and sure up future employment to support his young family.

As for the Minson issue Mike Sheahan brought up the matter when interviewing Kane,Chad and Graham, Will has a history of distasteful comments made on field which puzzled Kane as Minson is supposed to be different off the field, point is some areas are ones that shouldn't be crossed, kids, sick and dead relatives as sledges are just poor taste and signs of being a giant flog.

Those who've met Will would know that he's articulate, funny and engaging. In terms of intellect and ability to hold a conversation, he's genuinely the most impressive footballer I've ever spoken to. This is an ordinary comment. But it was 7 years ago - who cares?

Playing an instrument doesn't make you intelligent. The whole 'Minson is a smart guy' myth gives me the s#it$
not that it really makes much difference to the thread topic, but having an engineering degree, fluent in other languages including german, and able to play an instrument displays a pretty high level of intelligence.

How about we jump on Leigh Matthews for belting Bruns............or does the seven year statute apply.

Seriously, some of you clowns are just embarrasing yourself. You are carrying on as tif his happened in a game this afternoon. We knew what happened 7 years ago. Minson copped his whack for a very ordinary comment and the world moved on.

If Cornes thought the comments should have been public, which is his right then he should have done it in 2008.

Those who've met Will would know that he's articulate, funny and engaging. In terms of intellect and ability to hold a conversation, he's genuinely the most impressive footballer I've ever spoken to. This is an ordinary comment. But it was 7 years ago - who cares?
That's why it's sad he stooped to this level. Not just once on the field, but twice. A man with a supposed intellect should know better. Unless he's fooled us all and is just the run of the mill bogan who can play a musical instrument?

Remove this Banner Ad

What Will Minson said to Kane Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back