whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

People are making the classic mistake of rating the team with the most high draft picks or 'recognised' talent as being better than the best young tea.

The best young TEAM will always beat the team of the best young players.

This is why Collingwood were so impressive: their youngsters were playing as a such a well drilled unit.

By the same token, you would have said the same thing about the Hawks of 2008.

And this is why I'm so excited about North. We are building a brilliant young team under a coach who understands the importance of team.

I don't give a shit if Scully, Trengove and Gysberts went at 1,2 and 10 and that Ziebell, Cunnington and Greenwood were 9, 5 and 30 odd.

As long as the three North boys provide the better output week in week out.

Well, my brother's name is Darcy so that one doesn't seem so weird to me.

But 2 people named Tayte/Taite? You'd be lucky to meet two people called Tayte/Taite in a lifetime. I didn't even know it was an actual name.

I thought the same thing about the name Dane, but now we have two of them as well!

People are making the classic mistake of rating the team with the most high draft picks or 'recognised' talent as being better than the best young tea.

The best young TEAM will always beat the team of the best young players.

This is why Collingwood were so impressive: their youngsters were playing as a such a well drilled unit.

By the same token, you would have said the same thing about the Hawks of 2008.

And this is why I'm so excited about North. We are building a brilliant young team under a coach who understands the importance of team.

I don't give a shit if Scully, Trengove and Gysberts went at 1,2 and 10 and that Ziebell, Cunnington and Greenwood were 9, 5 and 30 odd.

As long as the three North boys provide the better output week in week out.

1. Thread is titled.... "best young list" not "team"

2. North may well be building a great young team, but you make it sound like no other club is trying to achieve the same thing... you are accusing people of narrow mindedness, while also being narrow minded :thumbsu:

and why the constant comparison to Melbourne? give it a ****ing rest!
surely you care more about the performance and direction of your club then recognition in the media and on BigFooty! :rolleyes:

Hocking, Jetta, Howlett, Riemers, Zakarkis, Colyer, Melshaskam...

Worst young onballer group on afl?
That's a reasonable call, but I think you'll be surprised how much Jetta and Zaharakis improve this year. For one, they didn't even play much midfield time this year, which Bomber supporters were calling out for.

Add possibly Atley, Green and possibly Curnow/Sewell and our midfield is looking a lot stronger. Still not top notch, but very competitive, which is all our midfield will need to be if our KPP's come on as we hope.

surely you care more about the performance and direction of your club then recognition in the media and on BigFooty! :rolleyes:

Because the majority of Melbourne supporters rate their youngsters better than North even though they have never beaten the North youngsters.

Anyway, any thread titled "best young list" or "best side under 22 years and 173 days" etc. is guaranteed to attract a high ratio of complete rubbish.

Essendon had the same age profile as West Coast. They still did better.

Your best young player this year was Scott Selwood. That's so hilariously sad most wouldn't know where to begin.

Bit difficult when you're playing with a 22 that is younger than the team you brought to Tasmania to play Hawthorn. Did you think you would win that?

Only reason they did better is that their senior players weren't useless.

1. Thread is titled.... "best young list" not "team"

2. North may well be building a great young team, but you make it sound like no other club is trying to achieve the same thing... you are accusing people of narrow mindedness, while also being narrow minded :thumbsu:

I'm making the point because the thread title in itself means shit.

Other teams are of course trying to do that, with various degrees of success.

I'm comparing to Melbourne because our teams are of similar ages and you guys have more high draft picks than us. Yet we keep beating you. Its a legitimate comparison.

BTW what a wank thread - what's the point of listing players U/21/23 or whatever? Footy isn't played on paper and last time I checked the AFL wasn't an U/23 league.

I'm making the point because the thread title in itself means shit.

Other teams are of course trying to do that, with various degrees of success.

I'm comparing to Melbourne because our teams are of similar ages and you guys have more high draft picks than us. Yet we keep beating you. Its a legitimate comparison.

Melbourne will have a better shot at a flag in 2-3 years than North imo, though I do rate North's youngsters.

More young talent and more evenly spread across the field + 4-5 first round picks who are yet to make any impact at senior level and will do so in the next 12 months.

Winning games against a developing team does NOT = being better set up for the future necessary. That logic is flawed by North supporters. Had Melbourne won by 2 goals, instead of losing by 2 goals in round 22 they would be better set up for the future? NO.

BTW, I know the bombers don't seem to get any credibility when talking about young players, but every team, including essendon, has some outstanding young talent. Our spine is set, and we'll be adding plenty of midfielders to Melksham, Colyer, Myers and co

Also, we beat Essendon 3 times in 2010*.

*When you win 4 Home and Away games all year, you're allowed to claim NAB Cup victories

We beat all of St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Carlton. The only team outside the 8 to do so.

Though few wish to admit it, we have far more potential than most of the sides listed in this thread - "proven potential" evidenced by the above victories - but we are well and truly your bitches and have been for some time.

Everyone can bitch and moan about Essendon having the worst list of youngsters but until any of them beat St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Carlton, you're all "wait til <insert player with a high draft pick> matures".

Collingwood are the only team that can gloat about youth. Anyone with Sandilands in their side - the most influencial player in the league - can look $1m. Melbourne's potential is based on where they were drafted and West Coast I'm afraid are simply rank. Richmond have 3 young midfielders and 1 young forward that have done anything - at all - with the exception of Martin and Riewoldt they lack toughness. Which brings me to North's youngsters, clearly better than Melbourne's, Richmond's and Fremantle's particular for quantity or quality in the middle. Essendon has the pick of the talls and are far closer than all bar North of breaking into the top 8 as the midfielders will come on much quicker than the talls that most of these young lists should opt for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, your young list carried you to a slaughter in Tasmania. Time will tell how much of Freo's 2010 performance was attributable to the younger players.

Well we were actually missing our best young players that day. Hill, Morabito, Fyfe, Barlow, Mayne, Silvagni and Ballantyne. Actually think about something before you just type away.
We had zero experience that day, so I doubt that any 'young' team would be any good without experienced players around them.

Well we were actually missing our best young players that day. Hill, Morabito, Fyfe, Barlow, Mayne, Silvagni and Ballantyne. Actually think about something before you just type away.
We had zero experience that day, so I doubt that any 'young' team would be any good without experienced players around them.

Beau Waters was our most experienced defender for all but 7 games. 23 year old with 60 odd games of AFL experience was our Dustin Fletcher....

Mark LeCras was our most experienced forward for the last half of the season, 23 year old with 57 games of experience

Essendon in fact have few player on the list 191cm+. Bellchambers, Ryder, Gumbleton, Hooker, Carisle, Hurley, Pears, Daniher.

Richmond may lack class but at least have the numbers. Browne, Vickery, Graham, Griffiths, Westhoff*, Astbury, Post, Gourdis, Grimes, Rance, Riewoldt, McGaune, Thursfield.

would Hird trade Ryder or Hurley for Riewoldt given the chance?

Bit difficult when you're playing with a 22 that is younger than the team you brought to Tasmania to play Hawthorn. Did you think you would win that?

Wow, we're really going to miss senior experience the likes of Dodd, Murphy and Schammer from our best 22.

That aside, we had most of our top 10 young players out of that side.

Essendon in fact have few player on the list 191cm+. Bellchambers, Ryder, Gumbleton, Hooker, Carisle, Hurley, Pears, Daniher.

Richmond may lack class but at least have the numbers. Browne, Vickery, Graham, Griffiths, Westhoff*, Astbury, Post, Gourdis, Grimes, Rance, Riewoldt, McGaune, Thursfield.

Would Hird trade Ryder or Hurley for Riewoldt given the chance?

No. In modern football it's all about versatility. Ryder can play ruck, back or forward and Hurley can play back or forward. Riewoldt is a one position player who will cop an awful lot of attention in 2011. Clubs will have studied his videos to find him out ala Jack Anthony - amongst others. One thing that'll hold him in great stead is his contested marking.

P.S. Riewoldt has proven he's a very good player but I think Hurley and Ryder are equally as good at what they do and "potentially" better in the longer term.

Take a look at ur u23 team spine. You have 2 players not on your list yet, Alex Silvagni at FB (never played there ever) and Chris Mayne as the FF. Good young midfield but your KPP stocks are the worst in the AFL by some margin
What does this have to do with anything?

West Coast's spine is as old as Collingwood's spine. One won the premiership, the other won the spoon.

What does this have to do with anything?

West Coast's spine is as old as Collingwood's spine. One won the premiership, the other won the spoon.

Everything. Grover has 1-2 years left, McPharlin the same (due to knee problems). Haydens in his 30s. Sandilands is 28 and not getting any younger as is Pavlich. You have 3 years to find 5 AFL quality KPPs and 1 AFL quality small defender. The hardest positions to fill in footy

And thats ontop of losing your best defender in Tarrant and most of your backups like Thornton , Dodd and Solomon. One KPP goes down and its Peter Fauks time, 2 go down and its Kepler Bradley time, 3 go down and you have Hayden Ballantyne at FF, Morabito at CHB and me laughing in the aisle somewhere

If we lose a KPP we call up Mitch Brown, B.Jones, than J.Jones, than god forbid we 4 or 5 go down we get to Lynch and Hansen

If I didn't have lots of spare time, I would feel agrieved that I read most of this thread. What a bunch of pathetic sooks posting on here (disclaimer: admittedly, some people were being impartial rather than just pushing their own clubs barrow). It is funny to note how hard people find it to be impartial when trying to assess other teams players in comparison to their own.

Oh, by the way, Travis Colyer is a miles better player than Dustin Martin, Jake Carlisle is streets ahead of Chris Dawes and Cale Hooker is the best young defender in the history of the AFL.

Everything. Grover has 1-2 years left, McPharlin the same (due to knee problems). Haydens in his 30s. Sandilands is 28 and not getting any younger as is Pavlich. You have 3 years to find 5 AFL quality KPPs and 1 AFL quality small defender. The hardest positions to fill in footy

And thats ontop of losing your best defender in Tarrant and most of your backups like Thornton , Dodd and Solomon. One KPP goes down and its Peter Fauks time, 2 go down and its Kepler Bradley time, 3 go down and you have Hayden Ballantyne at FF, Morabito at CHB and me laughing in the aisle somewhere

If we lose a KPP we call up Mitch Brown, B.Jones, than J.Jones, than god forbid we 4 or 5 go down we get to Lynch and Hansen

Hayden isn't a quality small defender anymore. He probably isn't even in our best 22 anymore. We probably have one of the best small defenders in the comp in Broughton. Duffield and Ibbotson can play that role comfortably as well.
Silvagni will be our FB/CHB. Sibosado or Faulks will develop into the other. Anthony (likely) will be our FF, and Pav still has plenty of time left in him. We can sit him at FF for his twilight years. haha the fact that you bring thornton, dodd and solomon into your argument just proves that you have no idea. Johnson can also hold down a key position spot.
I'd much prefer Ballantyne sitting at FF then any of your backup key position players.

Remove this Banner Ad

whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back