whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentally frail players from the Daniher era, such as Yze, TJ, White, and Bruce have left the club.

"Mentally frail" youngsters get blown out of the water when the floodgates open. We didn't have one 60 point loss for the year, where as your mob had 5, including a 100+ point gem; so I'd reconsider bandying about the term "mentally frail" under the circumstances.:thumbsu:

straight to the boundary with that shot!

No one is disputing that buddy.

Hannabal claims that your young players carried your side in 2010. The BnF results clearly contradict this.

That's all.

Also, yes we have good young players around 22. Just like Melbourne do.

However you are being selective by mentioning them in comparison to Scully, Trengove, Watts and Grimes.

You can compare them with the equally promising: Cunnington, Ziebell, Wright and Bastinac.

So basically that point is invalid.

no that wasn't my point

cunnington, wright and ziebell aren't dominating your BnF are they? Basti = same as Scully both 8th placed

North however have the 22-23 year old players who have developed and are playing good footy, and hence starting to poll well

Melbourne don't have the extent of those type that North do ie Swallow, Adams, Greenwood, Goldstein, Hansen

Melbourne have a couple of defenders in this age bracket who have stepped up ie. Garland, Frawley and Bartram but apart from that no players that age at melbourne have really developed well

Melbourne's large amount of young talent is in the 18-20 age group, whereas North have a more even spread of young talent between the 18-20 group and the 21-23 group

i.e North are a couple of years ahead of us development wise

wow your getting technical over 1 spot, c'mon mate barely proves a point. if it makes you feel better we'll say how many under 23's in TOP 5 BnF?
happy now

so first you were accusing me of not being 'relevant to an argument' and now you are defending yourself because i am being 'too technical'

:thumbsu:

and top 5 would not be relevant to what i originally said, which is why this argument started (apparently)

North fans want to have the best young list most, thats for sure. As a neutral, I think Melbourne have them covered.

In terms of best young list, here's how I see it:
- Collingwood
- Melbourne
- North
- Freo
Daylight
- West Coast

Not sure if anyone else can be considered a 'young list'. Mind you I'm sure this thread was full of teams trying to claim they are.

Haven't included Gold Coast because it's a bit hard at the moment (for me at least).

North remind me of West Coast this time last year, way overconfident. Would be great to burst their bubble in round 1.

No Carlton? :(

The Carlton supporter here makes a good point

Just having a quick think: Under 23's

Gibbs, Hampson, Henderson, Kane Lucas, Kreuzer, Murphy, Robinson, Robbie Warnock?, Yarran

More than a little bit to work with there

With that in mind, looking purely at these players i still have them behind The Pies, Dockers, Dee's, Roos and GC though on talent theyre probably ahead of the likes of Richmond

Under 23s

FB Davies White Anderson

HB Bower Austin Browne

CE Laidler Ellard Lucas

HF Collins Henderson Robinson

FF Garlett Kreuzer Yarran

FO Hampson Gibbs Joseph

INT Kerr O'Keeffe Cachia Casboult

The starting 18 all have AFL experience and I'm quite surprised at the quality of those players.

North Melb have 19 players under 23 years of age (with AFL experience).

Melbourne have 22

Collingwood have 14

Essendon have 24 (for whatever that's worth)
Players bolded have proven they can at least mix it at a decent level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name your top 12 under-23s in no particular order

Jones,Grimes,Morton,McKenzie,Scully,Trengove,
Frawley,Jurrah,Watts,Garland,Petterd,Wonaeamirri,

sif anyone bar Collingwood can beat that

12 top under 23 and a halfs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>12 top under 23's

Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, Adams, Anthony, Hansen, Lower, Thomas, Urquart, Warren, Wright

Carlton's would look like;
Kreuzer, Gibbs, Henderson, Yarran, Garlett, Bower, Joseph, Lucas, Hampson, White, Austin, Davies.

Change it to U24s, and it becomes,
Kreuzer, Gibbs, Henderson, Yarran, Garlett, Bower, Joseph, Lucas, Betts, Warnock, Austin, Murphy.

Carlton's U24s put up decent competition and would take that, considering we should be at least a year ahead of a team like Melbourne.

For whatever it's worth - on a mix of potential and current output I'd take North's over Melbourne's U23s.

Carlton's would look like;
Kreuzer, Gibbs, Henderson, Yarran, Garlett, Bower, Joseph, Lucas, Hampson, White, Austin, Davies.

Change it to U24s, and it becomes,
Kreuzer, Gibbs, Henderson, Yarran, Garlett, Bower, Joseph, Lucas, Betts, Warnock, Austin, Murphy.

Carlton's U24s put up decent competition and would take that, considering we should be at least a year ahead of a team like Melbourne.

For whatever it's worth - on a mix of potential and current output I'd take North's over Melbourne's U23s.

well you began draft-trolling 2 years before us so yeah

but i don't expect you to finish more than 2-3 places ahead of us this year, more likely 1, 6th vs 7th would be my honest guess

coll: 1/2nd
ess: 13th
rich: 10th
north: 9th
Freo: 8th

Hannabal said:
"Mentally frail" youngsters get blown out of the water when the floodgates open. We didn't have one 60 point loss for the year, where as your mob had 5, including a 100+ point gem; so I'd reconsider bandying about the term "mentally frail" under the circumstances.:thumbsu:
Yep, no denying we had some horrific losses, hence the crap percentage. I didn't put that down to mental fragility though. More learning a new game plan under a new coach who prioritised development over winning in doing so. Also due to the fitness required to play the game plan which severely taxed the kids.

Suma Magic said:
North remind me of West Coast this time last year, way overconfident. Would be great to burst their bubble in round 1.
Ouch! :eek: That's an ominous warning if ever I heard one. Surely we're not going to fall, let alone to such depths? ;)

As for the pissing contest between Roos and Dees supporters, it's getting tiresome beyond belief. Trust me, I'd like nothing to continue our recent dominance over this mob, make the finals (and they don't) blah, blah, blah. For now, can we acknowledge both teams have some good young talent that should see them both rise up the ladder in coming years, possibly North slightly earlier?!

The debate has served its purpose as far as I'm concerned. Everyone was talking up the Dees and unfairly ignoring the potential on our list. Now I notice BF posters acknowledging the talent we have, whether or not they rate us 'best'. It's good to see. :thumbsu: Now, the task is not to have North fans overhype us in the same way I believe the Dees have been.

Freo, North, Melb in answer to the OP question, putting aside the Pies clear benchmark for now.

12 top under 23 and a halfs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>12 top under 23's

Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, Adams, Anthony, Hansen, Lower, Thomas, Urquart, Warren, Wright

Jones < Swallow
Scully > Bastinac
Trengove > Cunnington
Frawley > Hansen
Wonna < Thomas
Petterd > Wright
McKenzie < Anthony
Jurrah > Warren
Grimes > Adams
Morton < Urquart

Watts and Lower = shit comparison
Garland and Ziebell = shit comparison

Melb 6
North 4

by my count

how would you assess those comparisons?

\

As for the pissing contest between Roos and Dees supporters, it's getting tiresome beyond belief. Trust me, I'd like nothing to continue our recent dominance over this mob, make the finals (and they don't) blah, blah, blah. For now, can we acknowledge both teams have some good young talent that should see them both rise up the ladder in coming years, possibly North slightly earlier?!

Freo, North, Melb in answer to the OP question, putting aside the Pies clear benchmark for now.
agree completely, north and dees both have a lot to look forward to but north atm are slightly ahead. This can be proven from ladder postions this year and the last 6 encounters between the two teams, 2 of which were this year both won by the roos.

Jones < Swallow
Scully > Bastinac
Trengove > Cunnington
Frawley > Hansen
Wonna < Thomas
Petterd > Wright
McKenzie < Anthony
Jurrah > Warren
Grimes > Adams
Morton < Urquart

Melb 6
North 4

by my count

wright >>>>>petterd
otherwise i agree
thus making it 5 to 5.

Jones < Swallow
Scully > Bastinac
Trengove > Cunnington
Frawley > Hansen
Wonna < Thomas
Petterd > Wright
McKenzie < Anthony
Jurrah > Warren
Grimes > Adams
Morton < Urquart

Melb 6
North 4

by my count

There's nothing between Hansen and Frawley
Adams has it over Grimes.
Wright has it over Petterd.
Cunnington has massive upside after playing last year with no preseason.

Where's Goldstein? (41 hit outs v Adelaide)
Where's Greenwood? (39 disposals v Melbourne)
Where's Swallow? (Very close to an elite midfielder)

Jamie McMillan will also make people sit up and take notice in 2011.

Face it, at the moment, our overall young bunch are better.

Norths under 24's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melbournes under 24's.

Remove this Banner Ad

whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back