Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we will never know mate.
I reckon history is a good teacher. They're 3 wins from 4 attempts come September this last decade. Tough to dispute otherwise imo.
On that basis you can downgrade all our flags because we didn't beat Hawthorn. Not Geelong's fault Hawks weren't good enough to get to face us.
Circumstances again. When we played them in 08, we were really coming down. Injuries, fatigue, and a stubborn coach. And they peaked and played us brilliantly.
And we got a pretty decent win-loss record against them after that final, and by the time they started beating us again, we were on the slide.

On that basis you can downgrade all our flags because we didn't beat Hawthorn. Not Geelong's fault Hawks weren't good enough to get to face us.
Circumstances again. When we played them in 08, we were really coming down. Injuries, fatigue, and a stubborn coach. And they peaked and played us brilliantly.
And we got a pretty decent win-loss record against them after that final, and by the time they started beating us again, we were on the slide.

don't downgrade anything as it is you who decided to use that analogy, not me. I'm merely responding to this hypothetical scenario, and I believe Hawthorn would have been the only team that would have beaten us had we faced them in the grand final instead of Port Adelaide.
Both teams had faced each other on three separate occasions in seasons 05/06 and Hawthorn won two of those three games as well.

In order to be a powerhouse you need:

7 A graders - Who are they?

7 B graders - who are they?

10 C graders - these aren't A, B or D's.

The rest are D Graders - first year players, injury prone players and players who can't break in the 22.

don't downgrade anything as it is you who decided to use that analogy, not me. I'm merely responding to this hypothetical scenario, and I believe Hawthorn would have been the only team that would have beaten us had we faced them in the grand final instead of Port Adelaide.
Both teams had faced each other on three separate occasions in seasons 05/06 and Hawthorn won two of those three games as well.
Ffs, port were the only team to beat us when we were on a roll.
And at our ground no less. And about 6 weeks before the gf.

Go get a grip.

The rest are D Graders - first year players, injury prone players and players who can't break in the 22.
You should send this through to all 18 clubs.
Would save them all a lot of time.

(that's nice vinum but completely irrelevant to the discussion)

We don't have 7 A graders but we do have a good mix of A & B graders . . .

A graders are: Selwood, Dangerfield, Taylor, Hawkins
B graders are: Enright, Henderson, Motlop, Duncan, Lonergan, Bartel, Selwood

The rest of our list is made up of C graders & players who wouldn't be considered best 22 material but there is a good portion of those C graders who have the potential to seriously elevate their games within a short period of time.
The injury riddled blokes like Clark & Menzel would certainly be in the B grade category but due to their history, may only get 10-12 games from them next season.

can really only go by the following years result. The very fact they beat us in our prime in the 08 grand final, and we battled out a thriller a few months earlier when we were obliterating sides (Cats by 11 points), throw in the loss the year beforehand, Hawthorn simply had our measure.

What possible bearing does one years result have on the previous years result??

Furthermore, a result in May has no bearing on a result in September either....

And on the basis of the logic in your post.......don't play roulette bobby....

What possible bearing does one years result have on the previous years result??

Furthermore, a result in May has no bearing on a result in September either....

And on the basis of the logic in your post.......don't play roulette bobby....

that's just your opinion David. I obviously disagree with it as I believe teams match up better on some teams and this is why previous encounters can be a prelude of things to come.
It is why the bookmakers often had Geelong and Hawthorn only 1-8 point favourites against one another for a few years at one point as previous results were catered into their equations etc.

We timed our run of form to perfection in 2008....Crawford & Croad's last games n all.....But no one would have got near you in 2007.

The thread premise is interesting from the point of view that: If you swap the teams around in order & ran it at the end of 2011, then you'd be on the money....Mind you....Cats posters would have torn it to shreds.

Hard to see any side ever replicating the Cats H&A record from 2007-2011. Some of those Houdini acts in that winning streak against us, had to be seen to be believed. Now that Chappy & Stevie J are gone, the fear factor has dissipated.

Why do you even want to consider that scenario of 07, nearly 9 years after the event?
And you haven't explained the 3-0 result against them in 2011, including a final.
Just a throwaway line that they would have beaten us in 07, but reality is they were nowhere near that standard in September, which they were in 08.
You are letting your current feeling/perception/malaise about Geelong cloud what was a remarkable transformation in 07. I'm sure you saw it yourself.
Bulldogs got us in rd 1- we turned that around to a 10 goal win.
NM got us at home, boy did we turn that around.
We were regularly beating most teams by 10 goals.
Port finally stopped our run, and at home, but how did we respond?
You've gone from always optimistic to a bit defeated.
There is plenty to look forward to.

We don't have 7 A graders but we do have a good mix of A & B graders . . .

A graders are: Selwood, Dangerfield, Taylor, Hawkins
B graders are: Enright, Henderson, Motlop, Duncan, Lonergan, Bartel, Selwood

Strongly disagree that Henderson or Scott Selwood are B graders yet. They have to prove themselves. I'd have Guthrie in there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does that formula come from?
Which team(s) have that blend?
Would be good to see that "on paper" as it were.
Where do you see Geelong's list under that description?
Imho,
A graders= Danger, Selwood, Enright, Hawkins, Taylor
B graders= Mackie, Lonergan, Guthrie, Bartel, Duncan, Motlop, Henderson, Blicavs, Smith
C graders = Caddy, Murdoch, Thurlow, Gregson, Lang, Cockatoo, Scott Selwood, Kolodashnij,
D graders = Clark, Stanley, Cowan, Menzel, Vardy,

Enright may be on the decline, ditto Bartel, Mackie, Lonergan- difficult to rate.
Similarly, but conversely, many of our B graders, C graders, as I have labelled them, are upgradable.

It is all subjective.
When we watch Fox Sports AFL teams on Thursday nights, the so-called experts can't agree on such labelling.

Good food for thought though.

Just thought I'd drop in and share a little fact with you guys. Before the Grand Final in '07, you guys were on 6 flags and we were on 9. Three flags ahead (despite affording you an almost 3 decade head start, and being the laughing stock of the VFL for 30 years). 8 years later, you guys have had the greatest period of success in your club's entire century-plus history, and yet we have still extended our lead over you. 13-9. Maybe it's just me, but I would find that rather daunting if the situation was reversed. Especially since you have delusions of grandeur regarding 'overtaking' us...

Just thought I'd drop in and share a little fact with you guys. Before the Grand Final in '07, you guys were on 6 flags and we were on 9. Three flags ahead (despite affording you an almost 3 decade head start, and being the laughing stock of the VFL for 30 years). 8 years later, you guys have had the greatest period of success in your club's entire century-plus history, and yet we have still extended our lead over you. 13-9. Maybe it's just me, but I would find that rather daunting if the situation was reversed. Especially since you have delusions of grandeur regarding 'overtaking' us...

Maybe we don't care?

The majority of us here don't care about your club, and what we have / haven't achieved in direct comparison. And all of us thoroughly dislike displays of such smug arrogance by Dork supporters.

Be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat. No club knows what the future holds for it.

Maybe we don't care?

The majority of us here don't care about your club, and what we have / haven't achieved in direct comparison. And all of us thoroughly dislike displays of such smug arrogance by Dork supporters.

Be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat. No club knows what the future holds for it.
Err...7 pages and 168 posts tells me you kinda do care....

You contrast that - to that bloody Koko Pops - or Korkalanis on the Hawks and Main board - he said Geelongs flags of 09 and 11 should be stripped off them by the AFL = because the 2 teams we beat have a history of losing alot of GFS

KOLOKOTRONIS, I think you mean..

We all have a few 'special' ones, don't we? :p

Maybe we don't care?

Humble in victory....

Lol. No chance. Chest puffing and smug arrogance. That they have in abundance!

Elite/A+/top 10 in AFL: Selwood, Danger
A graders: Hawkins, Taylor, Motlop
B Graders: Duncan (cusp of A grade), Henderson, Caddy, Guthrie, Blicavs, Lonergan, Menzel (assuming fit), (Clark when fit)
C Graders: Thurlow, Stanley (could be B Grader if fit for 22 games), Lang, S.Selwood, Gregson, Smith (although he is in the top 5 most important), Vardy (B grade if he plays with some consistency), Bartel (on 2016 output), Enright (on 2016 output), Mackie (on 2016 output).
D Graders: Murdoch, Cockatoo, Smedts, Bews, Horlin-Smith

Key is that a lot of the C graders have potential to become B or even A graders over the next few years. We will get better before we get worse.

Last edited:
Skilfully skipped the bit that put you on the map,ZONEING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back