Autopsy Round 11, 2022: Gold Coast toast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we were cooked as soon as I saw them wipe the sweat off before the game even started

The conditions were foul and we just didn’t adjust to them at all. Spent all their tickets last week

No point whinging - ride those bumps with a grin. On to next week
This.

Read less than nothing into that abomination.
The heat and humidity absolutely slaughtered us.

Playing games in the tropics makes for unwatchable shitshows

Went out to family function tonight and was going to watch the replay when I got home. But after reading this thread will give it a miss. Sounds like it was a shocker. ☹️

Did we get exposed by the rising suns?
We looked to be comprehensively beaten all over the ground as the sun's matched up beautifully against us. Obviously they get first use of the ball most of the time due to us having no ruck but they owned us in general play and our delivery to our forwards overall wasn't to our strengths.
This game might be an anomaly (ruck, conditions & reliable players having an off game) but if we are to play finals in a year or two, surely the sun's are too and look to have our measure at this point in time.
We have positions still to be filled and looking forward to this youngs sides bounce back.

40-8 contested hitouts to Gold coast is the stat that stands out tonight.

Hoping that Reeves is good next week and we move on quickly from this performance.

Jai was held tonight and without Jaeger we lacked some real leadership.

We looked undersized down back at times, and much slower than Gold Coast.

Callow slotted 4 and Downie a brace for Box Hill. Not sure how Worpel or Long played. Expect to see 3 or 4 changes.

Out Impey, Frost (susp) Howe Scrim (injured)
In Reeves, Callow, Long, Jaeger
frost wont get suspended for that, was soft as butter. had his arms down going for the ball

initial contact
1653746400153.png

another angle. Elis's ducking into the contact caused the high contact just as much as frosts momentum. Frost is lined up for the ball not for a head high bump. Eliss jsut turns into him to also go for the ball that goes between his legs.
1653746574928.png

1653746519690.png

1653746438571.png
Frosts motion and body is straight for the ball and his arms are down to pick it up.
1653746661046.png
1653746775298.png
Its made worse cos lewis is pushing him in from the other side

Last edited:
FOUND HIM AND ITS ALL HIS FAULT!!!

Michael Jackson GIF
HE HEEEE!

SHAMONA!

I had a bad feeling about this game all week. Umpiring was truly horrendous as well, mind boggling decisions and non-decisions.

Morrison just about our best on. Don’t see the point in playing Howe or Shiels anymore. Impey frustrates the hell out of me, would be happy to see him get a few weeks out of the side.

I quite like Burgoyne as a commentator, but seems to be falling into the trap of going out of his way to not appear to be favouring his old team.
Love him but I hope he never commentates again. Fallen straight into the cliche commentator trope, scared to criticise anything the umpires do and won’t say any positive about Hawthorn

I had a bad feeling about this game all week. Umpiring was truly horrendous as well, mind boggling decisions and non-decisions.

Morrison just about our best on. Don’t see the point in playing Howe or Shiels anymore. Impey frustrates the hell out of me, would be happy to see him get a few weeks out of the side.
But if howe doesnt play then we wont have a ruckman :astonished:

Love him but I hope he never commentates again. Fallen straight into the cliche commentator trope, scared to criticise anything the umpires do and won’t say any positive about Hawthorn
To be fair to him, this is par for the course for all Seven's commentators. They don't criticize umps.
I'll never forget a couple weeks ago, Hodgey had a crack at a decision and BT shut him down and changed subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems it might be a 'bring your mouthguards to training' week. Hopefully the players didn't leave them in Launceston.
They will, they did after the Saints game and these two are very similar. Except we arguably had better pressure against the Suns, but we were fumbly, had no ruck and will get some good ins, do have two worries for suspensions but they'll either be a fine, none or a week (Impey probably) which means Morris can come back in, Downie?, Jaeger and Reeves. And get up and about with an 8 day break before Collingwood. Win and we're 5-7 and it's not all doom and gloom, we lose and it's 4-8 and i feel we've been better than that. 1 point from Carlton, 10 from Dees.

I thought we were cooked as soon as I saw them wipe the sweat off before the game even started

The conditions were foul and we just didn’t adjust to them at all. Spent all their tickets last week

No point whinging - ride those bumps with a grin. On to next week
Yep. Playing in the top end is just an altogether different physical challenge on your body. It's like playing in a sauna. They will be cooked tomorrow!

Attempting to keep things in perspective.

We're a young side who had a huge game last week. Our midfield is clearly our weakness, and 3 of our 4 starting mids (O'Meara/Worpel/Newcombe) were either not playing or playing injured. Add to that we came up against the in-form ruckman without one ourselves.

In saying that however, the effort just wasn't there. Our disposal was deplorable, we dropped countless marks, were constantly second to the ball and you wouldn't say any of our players really won against their direct opponent bar Sicily.

Not too fussed as it's one game closer to a top 5 pick and we were no doubt sore after last week, but there's a LOT to work on and not a whole lot in reserve as the Hawthorn listed players at Box Hill today were 'generally' poor.

Wouldn’t read too much into that loss, they have better mids and the conditions would have killed us.
With all the rain in QLD over the past months, the Suns were always going to deal with the humidity much better than a Victorian side.

… Imagine going from playing in Tassie to Darwin in 6 days 😊

My honest 2 cents from an opposition perspective after watching tonight, but not seeing much of hawthorn this year. Good and bad. Thought an outsiders viewe may be of interest. Apologies if it’s not!

Impressed with development of Mitch Lewis, even on a quiet night. Looks a far more confident player now.
McDonald shows nice poise and will be a player for sure.
Morrison played a very solid wingman’s game
Can certainly see the upside for DGB. Had a nice start to the game but seemed to get out of kilter after a few frees paid against him

This might seem harsh.. but, whilst a very difficult situation I thought the makeshift hawthorn ruckman were completely non competitive tonight. We had 191cm Chris’s burgess and 20 yr old 196cm Caleb Graham rucking for about 8 games last year and they always put up a fight. As unfair as the situation may be, I think Witt’s’ unchallenged dominance was a main factor in us winning the midfield so convincingly. Hopefully Reeves back for you ASAP.

Heard a lot about hawthorns intercepting half backs. Jiath, scrimshaw, day, impey etc.. I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. Jiath seemed combative and was alright on the night, but the others seemed interested in taking kick outs, hanging out the back of packs for handballs etc. didn’t seem particularly aggressive and didn’t do much intercepting. I thought as a group they were poor.

Conditions were fine. It’s not marvel stadium but there were 25 goals kicked for the game which certainly above league average.

Good luck for coming games.

Wouldn’t read too much into that loss, they have better mids and the conditions would have killed us.
With all the rain in QLD over the past months, the Suns were always going to deal with the humidity much better than a Victorian side.

… Imagine going from playing in Tassie to Darwin in 6 days 😊
We went from 3 degrees Ballarat to Darwin.

We went from 3 degrees Ballarat to Darwin.
Yeah, but GC spend a lot more of their time in conditions not too dissimilar to Darwin than the Hawks.. Not that it is an excuse.

No doubt this was a disappointing performance; we were comprehensively beaten. The umpiring didn't help - how on earth did Graham's dissent in the 3rd not attract a 50, but GC also had a few go against them - just not seemingly at crunch positions.

I'm putting this one down to a bad day at the office.. There are some fundamental issues that have to be addressed, which can only be addressed by personnel turnover. But, there are a couple of low gamers who acquited themselves well..

I don’t think I’ve ever been more frustrated watching a game. They played well and especially the conditions and have some elite talent which you would hope given the concessions given. We played poorly and made an incredible number of dumb decisions which you expect to a large degree in a rebuilding side. The umpiring was I can’t believe I’m saying this worse than last week. Partly the rules are rubbish I hardly recognise the game especially holding the ball players now are waiting to tackle the player going for the ball wing tackling them and the umpire seemingly is told that if you have 1 arm “free” (the arm holding the ball) then you can dispose of it. Perhaps at umpire training they should be winged and see how easy that is. On top of that the umpires are also poor quality clear when you have a 6000 personnel shortage. No wonder Gil is leaving. But we have a Scott in charge so we’ll be ok at least we know our voices will be heard…I use heard in the Amber context

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11, 2022: Gold Coast toast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back